Newbie Needs Cake Decorating Advice

Decorating By MissM Updated 4 Jan 2006 , 12:31am by tripletmom

MissM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissM Posted 2 Jan 2006 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 12

Hi I am new to this site and am absolutely trilled to have found it. I have made a few cakes but have only a little experience and have been buying my icing ready made and colouring it. Anyhow I have been asked to make a spiderman cake and have found a picture on the internet of a cake but wondered what you think it has been decorated with? I would appreciate any advice. I live in England and ingredients etc are vey limited.

Can I also add what a talented bunch you all are ........my jaw has dropped many a time looking through the galleries, your cakes are astounding!!

Thanks
Michelle
LL

11 replies
soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 12:03am
post #2 of 12

I'm not sure exactly what was used in the picture to make this cake, but I do know of a few options you have for recreating it. The base color could be anything, buttercream, fondant, etc. Whatever you want really. The web could be made out of royal icing, fondant, or gum paste (or a combo of fondant and gum paste) and dired. The spiderman figure could be made from fondant or gumpaste (or a mix of the two), or molding chocolate, or could just be bought (a plastic figurine). Hope this helps!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 12:06am
post #3 of 12

MissM,

Welcome to CC...glad that you found us icon_biggrin.gif

It looks like the cake and cake board is covered with fondant. The spiderweb and wording is done with icing. Spiderman looks to be sculpted.

Good luck and please post picture.

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 1:09am
post #4 of 12

MissM Welcome to the familyicon_smile.gif

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 1:15am
post #5 of 12

Welcome to CC MIssM!!! icon_smile.gif You're gonna love it. But be careful it's very addicting lol

MissM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissM Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 1:47am
post #6 of 12

Thanks guys! Yes it is very addictive I have been on here around 2 hours now. thumbs_up.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 5:28am
post #7 of 12

MissM, welcome to CC, I know you are going to love it! There is a wealth of information and lots of people to help when you hit a snag. Janice

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 12

Welcome! This site is amazing! Good for you getting your first order. You may want to try using one of the Buttercream recepie's on this site. So much more tastier than store bought. One of the first things you can do in cake decorating, is practice, practice, practice!!! That is the best way to learn. Helen

cakebybek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebybek Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 12

Welcome to our family you will love it here.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 12:10am
post #10 of 12

I agree, it is addicting,but so much fun! Everyone is so full of great ideas and I am a newbie too and really enjoying this site. My son found it for me!

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 12:15am
post #11 of 12

Yes, VERY addictive. I've been doing this instaed of working on my website and getting new business. Let's call it....research! (actually it is!) I have found so many cakes and recipes I want to try.

Thanks for the inspiration guys!

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 12:31am
post #12 of 12

Hello and welcome!

Did you find this picture off of another UK based site? If this is the case I'd be willing to bet that the whole cake is iced in fondant with gumpaste Spiderman and lettering. The web looks like the tips just come slightly off of the cake making the case stronger for fondant (sugar paste).

It is also my understanding that buttercream is not a normal medium used in the UK so depending on your customer's tastes they may prefer the use of fondant as they would probably find our buttercream on the sweet side. You could also perhaps send a PM to MissBaritone as she is also UK based and has started using buttercream however she also does great work with fondant and gumpaste.

Good luck and welcome once again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%