Could This Be The Secret Ingredient To The Perfect Fondant?

Decorating By cuillere Updated 26 Jan 2006 , 10:36pm by minnowjoy

cuillere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuillere Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 28

I've heard so many wonderful things about satin ice, one of the members posted a thread about a new fondant, called FONDX and I asked her to tell us what ingredients they used:

I copy/paste her answer
boonenati
Birthday: Mar 01
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:47 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not really sure what it is that makes fondx so great to work with. Let me get the package and I will let you know what the ingredients are.
One second
Ok, here we go
Ingredients:
Sugar, Corn Syrup, Water, Partially Hudrogenated Soybean Oil and Partially Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Gum Tragacanth, Sodium Alginate, Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Propylene Glycol Alginate, Guar Gum, Vanilla Flavour, Titanium Diozide, Citric Adid, Glycerin, Potassium Sorbat

The few ingredients we don't use are the varieties of gums, that's what makes the fondant not crack and stay elastic, giving it the texture and easy handling of MMF. I use the Gum-tex by wilton the gum present in it is called Gum karaya for my gumpaste but not fondant . So I went and got me Xanthan gum (is that what the X in fondX stands for ???) I found it in the health section, 8oz for $ 10.00. I'm also gonna be looking for other gum powders. I have yet to try it. I also know about gum arabica we used it backhome for cookies and things like that but I can't find it here.
Some people said they use it with water and it acts like an edible adhesive
Anyone tried adding a gum powder to the fondant ?

27 replies
cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 28

Interesting. I haven't heard on Fondx. Wonder where you get it? I usually put a little bit of Wilton Gum Tex in mine and that seems to help alot with making it easier to handle and coloring it evenly.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 28

Hi cocakedecorator,

How much Gum Tex do you add to your MMF?

I had so much trouble with my red splitting and would like to give this a try.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 28

Is it just me, or does the brand name "FondX" sound like a toxic poison or something? LOL

stephanie214 Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 28

Cakepro,

That is so funny...but so true since you brought it to my attention icon_lol.gif

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 12:08am
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocakedecorator

Interesting. I haven't heard on Fondx. Wonder where you get it? I usually put a little bit of Wilton Gum Tex in mine and that seems to help alot with making it easier to handle and coloring it evenly.

Cocakedecorator
here is some info on fondX from another post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiva

FondX is made by CalJava. They can be reached on the web at: www.cakevisions.com or 800.207.2780. They also make Sweet Inspirations white chocolate fondant (the raspberry flavor is amazing). White chocolate fondant (like ChocoPan) is a little more expensive. It's also softer in texture. But they're delicious!!

If you try the white chocolate fondant and find it a little too soft, just refrigerate for a while. YOU CAN ONLY DO THIS WITH WHITE CHOCOLATE FONDANT!!

Also, remember fondant can be flavored with candy oils. So if the vanilla is too bland, add a flavor. I use raspberry, lemon,marshmallow, coconut, etc. depending on the cake flavor.

I LOVE using fondant!! It's a great artistic medium. I try to sneak fondant accents on cakes whenever I can so people will realize that the fondant of a few years ago, is not the fondant that we use today.

Brand favorites: FondX,Satin Ice for regular fondant. Sweet Inspiration for white chocolate fondant.

Recipe that I make: marshmallow fondant (FondX tastes like MMF). It's easy to make and very inexpensive. Check the ingredients on a bucket of ready made fondant. You'll find them similar to the ingredients of marshmallows and confectioners sugar. MMF is just fondant. You're just make smaller quantities than a manufacturer.

Happy New Year All!!!!

cuillere Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 1:21am
post #7 of 28

Funny, I made mashmallows (without the funny taste) out of scratch with the intention to use it for the fondant. The only thing I forgot to add was the fat portion. This time I m going to approach it diffrently. I'll go ahead make my marshmallows from scratch and add some Xanthan gum and glycerine. The only diffrence between regular fondant and marshmallow is that you boil the syrup to 260 and it goes in the blender gets a good whip til it's fluffy after that you proceed like the way we prepare fondant. Today I saw a segment where Alton Brown was talking about Xanthan gum, it did sound very promissing, he said that it's used as a glue and holds food particles together. If you mix oil and vineagre together they seperate after a while but with Xanthan gum they stay together .

Cakepro Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 9:31am
post #8 of 28

In what episode was AB talking about xanthan gum?

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 10:14am
post #9 of 28

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
boy ....it must be late or im out of the loop beuase all the went over my head!!!!

stephanie214 Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 28

Hey lastingmoments,

They are talking about the fondant named Fondx.

Also, adding gum tex to mmf.

cuillere Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 8:14pm
post #11 of 28

I was actually half asleep and was browsing between channels and somehow I fell into a segment where he was showing a cauliflower head and said that xanthan gum is a bacteria harvested from that vegetable. It's either yesterday or the day before in late afternoon.

TickledPink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickledPink Posted 2 Jan 2006 , 7:45pm
post #12 of 28

The last 2 times I have made MMF fondant I added about a tablespoon of glycerine and a tablespoon of gum from the health food store. It was much more pliable and easier to work with. None of the cracking I had experienced on previous attempts.

I also made it in my Kitchenaid with the dough hook. It was EASY !!! and I didn't have the huge mess. Took minutes to do.

Cakepro Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 6:54pm
post #13 of 28

How many ounces of marshmallows did your batch of MMF call for in which you used those measurements of gum & glycerin? I'd like to give that a try, because I was not happy with the over-elasticity and shrinking of the MMF I've made.

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 12:57am
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

How many ounces of marshmallows did your batch of MMF call for in which you used those measurements of gum & glycerin? I'd like to give that a try, because I was not happy with the over-elasticity and shrinking of the MMF I've made.

Tickled Pink I'd like to know this too! icon_biggrin.gif

babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 1:06am
post #15 of 28

Do you add the gum-tex as powder or mix it up first? I love MMF but I also have it crack. Thanks icon_smile.gif

TickledPink Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 3:40pm
post #16 of 28

I made the large batch of MMF with a 16 oz bag of marshmellows... then I added about a tablespoon of glycerine and a tablespoon of xantham gum to the wet melted marshmellows before I added and worked in the 10X sugar.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 3:45pm
post #17 of 28

Thanks! I'll try it!

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 4:00pm
post #18 of 28

Would love to know the chemical compound for Xanthan gum. My SIL has wheat allergies and when she came to visit, I made bread and Yorkshire puddings out of rice/All purpose wheat-free flour and added Xanthan gum to help with the rising. Wonder how it works in MMF?

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 4:16pm
post #19 of 28

I thought the gum tex helped your fondant dry quicker and hold up better (like when making bows). I have a can of gum tex and only used it once, but I can't remember if I used it with pre-made fondant or MMF. It must have been pre-made because I remember just sprinkling it on and kneading it into the fondant. But, the results were extra hard, very fast drying fondant.

Chemistry is not my thing, so I've never paid attention to all those other ingredients or different types of gum. Should I? You folks are getting way too complicated for me!! I guess I'll just stick to what I know: marshmallows, water, powdered sugar!! Simple to me!icon_smile.gif

cuillere Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 4:29pm
post #20 of 28

A little chemistry wouldn't hurt, Xanthan gum is a substance used by a specific type of bacteria called Xanthomanas campestris to stick to cabbage and it's leaves (that's where the bacteria is found). It's gluten free and that's what people with allergies use for they cakes and breads. You'll get more details if you do a search.
I added one tbs to my fondant and it became super elastic and stretchy exactly what I was looking for
Tickled pink
I hope you got good results, I did and I 'm going to be using it all the time.

fytar Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 4:32pm
post #21 of 28

Here is a perfectly good example that what they teach you in high school may actually be relevant one day!!

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 4:34pm
post #22 of 28

Okay, so where can you buy Xantham gum? Is it sold under a different name? Is it powdered or liquid? Does it change the flavor of the fondant any? Thanks!

cuillere Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 4:47pm
post #23 of 28

I found mine in the health section of my super market, I'm sure you can find it in health food stores too, it's a powder a little on the expensive side (8oz for $10) gum powders are usually high priced. I found that it has a neutral sent compared to gum-tex (soury) and it's an off white color, but it didn't affect my fondant. Add it during the sifting of your 10X. It did however make the fondant harder then usual, the funny thing is that one of this site members that uses satin ice said that satin ice had a very hard consistancy (satin ice has Xanthan gum) so I'm assuming it's the xanthan gum that does that.
Fytar
my major is all organic chemistry and let me tell you baking and organic chemistry are one of my favorite things to do, call me crazy but a zen place in my universe would be in front of my stove or in the lab. When you look at sugar don't you find it an incredible substance, things you can do with it. I thing sugar is a magical compound.

fytar Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 5:38pm
post #24 of 28

You know, while I was watching the Food Network Challenge (Sugar sculpting) the other night I was very impressed with all they could do with sugar! It is amazing!!

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 7:57pm
post #25 of 28

Thank you, you chemist whizzes! Now we know. I can use up the expensive jar I have in my cupboard!

TickledPink Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 1:05pm
post #26 of 28

I didn't notice my fondant being harder but I thought it was more flexible without any of the cracking.

But then again I use a little bit more water than the original MMF recipe so mine isn't as dry if that makes sense.

mistygaildunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistygaildunn Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 1:13pm
post #27 of 28

TickledPink, could you pm me your recipe that you use for MMF. I've yet to try it, but sounds like you've found the right ingredients. I'm so leary of trying certain new things, I know everyone says that the MMF is much better than the Wilton, but that stuff nearly ruined me on fondant. Thanks

minnowjoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minnowjoy Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 10:36pm
post #28 of 28

TickledPink...

May I have your recipe too????? PLEASE! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%