How Do You Lose Weight?

Lounge By VACakelady Updated 29 Dec 2005 , 6:30pm by cakemommy

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 27 Dec 2005 , 4:30am
post #1 of 20

I was just wondering how you ladies and gents lose weight with this cake hobby/business? I have done weight watchers in the past and it worked for me, but I don't know how to get and stay motivated. It is almost impossible for me to keep on baking and not eat some of it or lick spoons and such. I tried chewing sugarless gum while I worked in the kitchen and that didn't stop me either.

If I don't do something, I'm likely to lose my husband. Between my odd schedule, my cake orders, and the weight, I have no interest in intimacy and he's fed up. Thankfully we do not have children! I am so depressed and don't know where to start.

I know what I need to do to lose the weight, I've done it before. I just need help with how to get motivated and keep myself from eating every bit of sugar around me. Thanks for any input and for listening to me whine!

19 replies
Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 27 Dec 2005 , 4:50am
post #2 of 20

I'm in the process of losing a bit of weight as we speak, but I have to say honestly, that my one way to lose weight, while working with food, is just good old fashioned discipline. I don't always have it during normal periods, whatever those are, but when I'm cooking and baking, I dont' sample every little thing, unless it chocolates, then of course, I have to do Quality control, more extensively. icon_lol.gif

Walking is a thing I like to do as well, with so many parks around here with walking tracks around the ponds and lakes, it's easy to just walk to the park, do some laps, and head back home. I just don't eat when I get home. Maybe water, but if I'm good, that's all I do after a walk.

Not everything works for everything, not everyone can be disciplined as others' are. You just got to do what's right for you.

Good Luck.

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 27 Dec 2005 , 6:03am
post #3 of 20

Well, I've lost 30 pounds on Weight Watchers, it is the best solid plan there is..because you can eat the WW way for life!

However, I know what you mean about licking the spoons and takin' a dip in the icing, I know it all too well. I've recently kicked the habit...and have strayed from eating anything I make.

First of all, its hard..especially when you're already in the swing of things. This is how I started..EAT BEFORE YOU BAKE!!! Even if you can't eat a meal, grab some carrot sticks and go to town. Fat Free pringles are 1 point on WW for 15 of them..and chips fill up the tummy! So, when I need to level a cake..I grab some healthy munchies, and have them beside me when I'm doing it, because I'm bound to eat the scraps that come off..its inevitable. That was my first step, and it worked like a charm!

I think the key to weight loss is how you think of yourself in a healthier lifestyle. I've also placed sticky notes around my kitchen that are great motivators!! You can do a search for weight loss motivation quotes, and copy them down. Put them up around your kitchen, where the temptation is too much. It's the first three days that's the hardest. After that, you should be in a habit.

Another thing I do, which might not work with your schedule..is go to the gym before baking and decorating. I'll wake-up, hit the gym for a good workout, and come home to bake (after showering of course icon_surprised.gif ) My discipline there is "Heck no I'm not eating this crap when I just worked my butt of sweating like a mule in that gym..NO WAY!!!"

I hope this helps you a little bit!! I wish you good luck restraining yourself icon_wink.gif

Robyn usaribbon.gif

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 27 Dec 2005 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 20

Hi,

I am currently on WW and this month has been so hard...I haven't lost a thing I've been going up then back down...I am back on the wagon now that X-Mas is over. I have done well on WW so far I have lost 20lbs. I need to lose 40 more.

I read thispast weekend that most people don't drink nearly enough water...I know I never do......and that 85% of the time when you feel hungry it is actually a sign that your body is getting dehydrated. It also said if you wait to drink when you are thirsty your body is already partially dehydrated and there is a bigger tendency to overeat. I don't know if that's true or not, but I am definitely going to try to drink more. I'm not a big water fan, but I am gonna try to drink lots iced green tea sweetened with Splenda and even diet soda (better than nothing) They recommended drinking 1 tall glass of water as soon as you get up and then frequently in the day for weight loss. Yesterday I drank more....omg I was in the restroom all day, and I did fell full from all the liquid and I ate less....maybe its mental but thats ok 2!!!

Good Luck and feel free to email or PM me if you are just feeling down. I am fighting the same battle as you.

Next week I will start our Cake Divas Weight Watchers thread again...New year, New Body!

Berta

stylishbite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stylishbite Posted 27 Dec 2005 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 20

This may not work for everyone, but I guess I can't do too many things at one time, sooo if I chew gum and put my ipod on and crank the music while decorating I don't even remember to nibble. The music is good so I get lost in it I guess.
I guess i need to chew gum and leave my headset on through the holiday though because I've been very bad this past few weeks thumbsdown.gif Luckily the food fest is over thumbs_up.gif
Good Luck!!

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 27 Dec 2005 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 20

I agree with blittle6. Actually, my trainer told me take your weight, divide it by 2. That amount is the number of fluid ounces you need to drink in a day. ie: If you're 160 pounds, you need 80 ounces of water. Of course, if you are not used to drinking anywhere near that much...start out small. You don't wanna get sick from too much water.

No eating after 7pm icon_eek.gif

Also, take a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil after every meal..helps control the appetite.

Robyn

kmcguire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmcguire Posted 27 Dec 2005 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 20

On April 15 , 2005 the day my son went to basic training I decided that I had to loose weight, I was killing myself with my weight and I remembered how small I was when I went to basic. At 5'9" 332 was too many pounds. I stopped eating sugar. Not only added sugar but natural sugars as well. I started eating meat, green vegatables, salads. I also taste what I make.....I taste, I dont eat....BIG DIFFERENCE. It is a matter of wanting it bad enough to disipline yourself to a change of lifestyle.
Good Luck....Ken

cakinqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakinqueen Posted 27 Dec 2005 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 20

I sent you a long pm about this subject please reply if you need to talk.

VACakelady Posted 27 Dec 2005 , 10:19pm
post #9 of 20

Thank you all for your great ideas, I will definitely be using some of them. As for not eating after 7pm, hehe, I work from 7pm to 7:30am. I'm sure this is some of my problem too, my schedule is so backwards from the 'norm'. I've been doing a lot of thinking and soul searching and trying to find the motivation. I think I'll go to Curves right after work in the morning and try to get back on the wagon. Thanks again everyone!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 1:57am
post #10 of 20

My girlfriend lost 17 lbs going to Curves and she loved it there. I have to say the water is a biggie for me. But it does take about two weeks to really get into the habit of drinking enough but once you do you'll miss it if you don't!! I also try not to keep snack type things in the house because I a horrible a the self-control if it's right there. If I level a cake, Ithrow the tops away right away but I always laugh and think about George Castanza on Seinfeld eating out of the garbage!! Best of luck to you and stay strong!!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 4:35am
post #11 of 20

What do ya'll think about weight loss surgery? I am around 70 lbs overweight. I have tried every diet there is & I'd loose up to 45 or 50 lbs in about 6 mths & gain it right back within a year of loosing it. I'm looking into lap band surgery. Someone very close to me has had it & is doing extremely great! So I'm looking at having it in the summer. Since I drive a school bus I would rather have it done then when I'm off & have plenty of time to recover. It is very hard having a weight problem. I think everyone who has one feels for you VACakeLady. I know I do!!

VACakelady Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 5:07am
post #12 of 20

I was told that you have to be extremely overweight to have surgery, but I don't know for sure. I've heard that it is really difficult to deal with after having it done. Little things like just taking a pill with water fills you up completely. I'm about 90 lbs overweight, but I don't think I'd ever go the surgery route.

Thanks for the kind words.

stylishbite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stylishbite Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 11:05am
post #13 of 20

I have a family history of weight problems. I have two uncles and a 42 year old cousin who have the surgery. One did great. Has lost ton of weight and is off all meds. One had the band surg first, but it didn't work had to do the GB. That was about 3 months ago. He's doing well and also off BP med, insulin and choles. med. Cousin had big problems at first. She got infection and almosted died. Was in ICU for 3 weeks. Prayerfully did pull out and is doing great went from 3X to size 7. I also work with a lady (she just started) who said she had surg in Feb 05 and has lost 85lbs. She must have been pretty big, as I think she still has some to go, I guess her at about 20-24 now, but she eats alot of crap. I see her in the kitchen often.
So I know alot of people with good outcomes. I'm not sure if I could do it. I'm not over weight though, so I can't say for sure. I hate gaining that 5 lbs every Christmas so who knows. At one time for about 5 years after my last child I never lost that baby weight. I started with walking and swore off fast food! I still don't eat fast food and I walk/jog on Treadmill almost everyday. I lost my baby weight and then some. I was so happy again, with me, that I will never eat or be like that again. I do enjoy bad for me foods but then I go to the Y to work it off. I like to eat, so I would rather eat it, then work it off. I was size 16-on a good day. Now I'm sz 4. I don't think I was even a 4 in grade school, but I have been here for the past 9 years and counting. DON"T give up. You can do it . I never thought I could loose that much without surg.
Although my DH said I could buy some breast about 4 years ago cause I lost those too, and I really want some, but too afraid to do it. Afaraid of any surg'sI lost 50 lbs by mostly walking at first everyday on lunch hour. DON"T get on the scales for awhile. Let your cloths tell you. GOOD LUCK to all it's a life long battle if you let it get the best of you.

dodibug Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 2:55pm
post #14 of 20

I have two dear friends who have had the GB. The husband has done great but the wife is still heavy because she hasn't changed her eating habits and doesn't exercise. You can beat the GB-your stomach will eventually stretch out again. The GB just worries me bc 1 in 200 don't make it off the table. I am just not a fan of that surgery when it doesn't get to the root of the problem-changing your lifestyle for a lifetime. That's the only way to keep the weight off. Some people just can't go off their diet. They can eat more normally but always have to keep within certain guidelines. I have never been heavy but I have always maintained my weight be doing that. I come from a family with weight problems and that's why I have always been so careful.

My sil had the lap-band and it hasn't really done her any good because she hasn't changed her lifestyle and food choices. I guess what I'm really saying is I would try to change the diet, exercise part of my life completly before having surgery. And you would have a few months since you don't want to do anything till then!

Stylish-as far as the boobies go-go for it! I had mine done about 10 years ago and I have been very happy. BUT, I did lots of research before I went to interview surgeons, met with 3 different surgeons (who all had different opinions about how to do my surgery!), looked at their pictures, then made my decision. I didn't make it based on price (that's what alot of people do and end up with terrible work). The most important thing my doc said to me was "I'll pick the size because I want you to walk down the beach and have people say hey she looks great not hey great boob job" To this day I have friends who have no idea that I had the surgery. They think I am just lucky to have a perky rack! icon_lol.gif

cakinqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakinqueen Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 3:20pm
post #15 of 20

My mil had the lap band procedure done last year and she is down 75lbs. She has it done because she has empazemia (sp) and couldn't breathe with her weight. She couldn't work out because she couldn't breathe. She is doing well however with the holiays I saw her eating things that are not reccomended. I hope she doesn't make a habit of it becasue like someone else said you can stretch out stomach again and whats the point.

A cousin had GB. She is only 25. I am not sure how old you are or have taken into consideration of children (again I don't know you situation so I hope I am not offending) You can not get pregnant for atleast a year after surgery. She got pregnant within 4 months of having surgery and had a normal pregnancy until she had to deliver the baby passed away. Her doctors said that is a risk of the surgery but she thought it wouldn't happen.

My point to all this do your homework don't let anyone else influence your decision. The biggest truth to how the surgery will turn out is how you truley listen to your dr and how you change your lifestyle.

Don't know how true this is but I heard with GB you can't have alcohol because the sugar can send you into diabetic shock. Now I am not a drink but if I wanna drink that would be awful!

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 5:19am
post #16 of 20

Oh, Cakeinqueen, I'm sorry to hear about your cousins baby. That was was a terrible thing to happen. You didn't offend me Cakinqueen. icon_smile.gif When VACakeLady brought up the subject of weight I remembered that I had never mentioned Lap Banding surgery to my friends on CC. I have mentioned it to close friends but not everyone.

Here's my story, I am 38 yo. Not planning on having any more children. I weigh 240 (gained 25 lbs since I've started doing cakes a year ago, ya'll know... taste testing thumbsdown.gif ). I have asthma, back, knee, legs, feet & shoulder problems, & severe migraines. I don't look to others to weigh 240 but I do to myself & I certainly feel it. My dr. actually recommended Lap Band. He recommended a dr., I researched the LB surgery, that dr., then researched about 5 more dr.'s in my area. I've talked to a lot of people who have had LB & they are all doing great after their surgery. thumbs_up.gif The only fear I have with the surgery is possibily gaining the weight back (well that & divorcing my DH icon_smile.gificon_sad.gificon_smile.gif ) after I have the surgery. I want to be healthy~ Yes, I want to look gooooooooood too, but healthy is at the top of my list~ icon_wink.gif

I so happy to be able to share things with my friends on CC. It's so much cheaper then a shrink!!!! icon_cool.gif I would love to hear any comments on this. Just keep it nice ok~ I don't want any feelings to get hurt. If anyone doesn't want to post on this topic feel free to PM me~ I would love to hear your opinion. thumbs_up.gif

Randa_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Randa_000 Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 8:37am
post #17 of 20

Speaking for myself only: I would have the lap band surgery right now if I could, but unfortunately I have to wait. I am 34 yo, 250 lbs and very unhappy, my DH loves me no matter the weight, but you know he would prefer it if I were thin. For me eating is an emotional thing, not necessarily a hunger or boredom situation. Before having the surgery I am going to get the recommended diet from my doctor and follow it for three months just to make sure I can do it. I dont want to have any problems after the fact when it will be too late because I have also seen a lot of people remain heavy after GB or LB procedures from lack of control.. Who knows maybe if I follow the diet for 3 months I will lose enough weight to maybe decide not to have the surgery. icon_razz.gif

dodibug Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 3:02pm
post #18 of 20

Good for you Randa_000!!! You will be suprised. If you are able to stick to a diet for three months and start and exercise routine, it will be a habit at the end of those 3 months and you're right you may find you don't need surgery! I think that should almost be mandatory before such a big undertaking as a surgery because you are right-why have the surgery if you are just going to defeat it in a year.

kmcguire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmcguire Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 5:34pm
post #19 of 20

the surgery only helps you to change your lifestyle. THAT and only that will show you success in the future. I have several friends who have had the surgeries and have gained it back. People who go on diets and then go back to their old diet of eating everything they did before gain it back. We gain it because of bad eating habits that we learn. We have to learn new, healthy ways to enjoy food. Not restrict ourselves to being cut on. When we build cakes for our customers and families we put the BEST ingredients in that will make a fantastic cake. When we build our bodies for ourselves and our love ones we need to put the BEST ingredients in at the proper amounts.

ken

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 6:30pm
post #20 of 20

Self discipline is the only way you can accomplish what you want!!! It is the toughest thing in the world to have. You will have days where you think you can do this and then there will be days where you say to yourself, "there's no hope, I'll never be able to lose weight and be thin!" I have been there all my life, up and down. There will be small little moments during the day where you think you can do it and moments where you think just hte opposite.

I joined a gym five minutes from my home because I was fed up with all the weight I have gained since my first son was born three and a half years ago. That is no joke that it's harder to lose the second time around if you don't lose it after the first child. NO JOKE!!! I just put out of my mind all the sweets. If I look at them I stop and think of how proud of myself I will feel if I don't eat them and how horrible and "back to square one" I will feel if I do.

Since my second son was born last December, I have lost 52 lbs. I attribute that to breast feeding and going to the gym. I have not been watching my carbs and my calories, or my fat intake. I say PHHHTTTTT!!!!! to that!!!!!! Eat what makes you feel GOOD and that is eating healthy. Getting through the first day is tough and that's no joke but once you can do that and then the next day and so on, you will feel empowered over food. Just keep yourself and your mind busy (away from food)!!!!

You CAN DO THIS!!! Think of how great you will feel once you start losing 5 pounds, 10 pounds, and so on. Make small goals for yourself. Don't set too high a goal. Not even 20 lbs!! Set small like 5 lbs at a time. Those small goals are easier to accomplish!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!! I will be here for you and so will all of us guys and gals!!!

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%