Christmas Mice Question

Sugar Work By justcakn Updated 12 Dec 2010 , 5:44pm by 7yyrt

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 2:07am
post #31 of 58

I bought mine at Costco - 2 HUGE jars for a little over $6.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 2:25am
post #32 of 58

7yyrt,

It looks like you colored white chocolate green and dipped your oreos. I may be wrong, I need a new monitor, so don't laugh at me. icon_confused.gif

Janette Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 2:26am
post #33 of 58

7yyrt,

It looks like you colored white chocolate green and dipped your oreos. I may be wrong, I need a new monitor, so don't laugh at me. icon_confused.gif

7yyrt Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 2:43am
post #34 of 58

I used the green Wilton candy melts. (I did it because I couldn't open the darn Oreos!)
I think they showed the mice off very well. Did you see the cheese attack in my photos? icon_biggrin.gif

Janette Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 3:01am
post #35 of 58

I just looked, that is just the cutest thing, did you set it up for a party?

I just love these mice. This is the first time I've ever heard or seen them. I have to go to a party and now I know what I'm taking. Thank's to y'all for sharing.

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 5:41am
post #36 of 58

I had the same problem with the oreos when I twisted them. Then I got the double stuffed oreos and didn't have anymore problems.

Lu

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 23 Dec 2006 , 5:47am
post #37 of 58

Dale,

Thank you for the mice recipe. I can't wait to tell you what happened with the mice and my friend that has cancer. If I can figure out all of this pm stuff, I want you to know this story and what part you played in all of this. But most of all I just want to say thank you for sharing!!!!!!!!!

Lu

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 12:36am
post #38 of 58

I made an army of these, but I decided I didn't want to have random chocolate oreo halves in the shop so I dipped the whole cookie...

mistake number one...

ok...did the cherries and the hershey kiss and the only thing I had in a bag was a little gel that I had mixed with black icing so I made their little beady eyes and black noses...mistake number two...

they ended up looking like Possums on crazy pieces of cheese...

but then I added a little red royal icing flower and placed them in little cupcake cups and they no longer looked like a swarm of PLAGUE INFESTED RATS..

they looked ...actually ...cute! lol

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 10:13pm
post #39 of 58

I love these mice icon_smile.gif

I saw Dale's last year and made some then, and then did some more this year. I adjusted the design a bit to do leaves with green frosting though (since I know how to do them) and then the holly berries in red frosting. And a bit of black frosting for their noses. I posted an image in my gallery from this years.

The cherries with stems on them are right next to the ones w/out stems. You just have to look for them. they look the same on initial glace, but they are there. Unless they are out because we all went out and bought out the store before you got there icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 11:10pm
post #40 of 58

Here in Ohio, the cherries with stems are not with the regular ones - they are where they sell the alcohol mixes. (the plain NO stem ones are with the ice cream toppings!) It took me forever to find them.

7yyrt Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 12:09am
post #41 of 58

I just HAD to have the mice invading, Janette. What else would the little thieves do? The entire area was crawling with them and all of the stolen cheese from the gift baskets and the fridge. The picture only shows about 1/4 of them. icon_biggrin.gif
I fixed them though, they were sent away with all of the stolen booty in the gift baskets...

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 7:55am
post #42 of 58

Dale
thank you so much for the idea;
I made some for a potluck dinner where everyone present was a cake decorator. I barely finished saying 'if anyone would like to take one..' and the tray was empty icon_cool.gif
Attached is an image of my version.
I actually did not use Oreo cookies... I did use an oreo type of sandwich cookie, however, these were a bit larger.
I added a green drop flower, with a touch of red gel in the center, to represent a wreath & squiggled more red gel like a ribbon.
They were such a big hit, I am making a trayful to be served with dessert on New Year's day.

(btw, I found the cocktail cherries in the baking section of a local grocery store).
I apologize if the image is not clear... though the mice looked very festive on the red foil, it did cause some glare.
Hope you like .... ciao
LL

RisqueBusiness Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 2:17pm
post #43 of 58

Facination..those are adorable!

oh and I thanked the wrong person...excuse me Doug..I guess my thanks go to Dale..lol

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 2:36pm
post #44 of 58

DANG! i WISH I had come cross these mice earlier this week! These would have been perfect for the family Christmas i hosted here! The sag for this month has been that when we brought out tree inside (we cut our own) there was a mouse in it! (and he built a nest!) ANyway, my kids immediately named him Steve. we have 9 Havahart mouse traps baited and waiting. We have cught him twice this month and he escaped bopth times.... Steve is a sneaky one! SO, he has a stocking hanging up, he also has his own Christmas ornament! I heard him bout 10 days ago... no sign of him since! My oldest daughter is 15 nd i have been waiting for the high school to hold a candle light vigil for the mouse! Steve is big deal, apprently! Maybe i can make these when we catch him again..... hmmmm......

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 3:21pm
post #45 of 58

Hi Fascination,
Love your mice. I have made the choc. ones but am wondering how you did the white ones. Is there a white choc. kiss or did you substitiute something for that? Great Mice !!!!

Fascination Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 6:17pm
post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes

Hi Fascination,
Love your mice. I have made the choc. ones but am wondering how you did the white ones. Is there a white choc. kiss or did you substitiute something for that? Great Mice !!!!

Hello cupcakes
For the chocolate mice I used Hershey Chipits Mini KISSES;
For the white mice I used Hershey Chipits Pure White Chocolate Chips.
The white chocolate chips are smaller & have a bit of a curve at the tip.
So I used some of the smaller cherries for the white mice & I think the curved tip added character to the faces icon_lol.gif
Both from the baking section of my local grocery store.

I am not sure if Hershey does have white chocolate KISSES (I seem to remember seeing some).
They did have mini kisses in holiday colors. I bought several bags, thinking I would make an army of green, white & red mice (to really continue with the holiday theme, or just for another cute idea to add to my Italian themes.) I would have one of each on everyone's dessert plate. Or, I was actually thinking of making small loaf cakes, decorated to look like mouse traps... Ok now I am getting carried away.

ciao for now

RisqueBusiness Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 6:28pm
post #47 of 58

lol Mouse traps...would that go in the "GROSS" galleries?

Right up my alley...LOVE , LOVE the idea!

Post post post..

please please please.

tired..trying to get my place sorted before the New Years..all I want to do is go home and sleep!

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 6:37pm
post #48 of 58

Thank You fascination, I am going to have to look down the baking aisle for the chipits . I love to learn about new products! Thanks so much and have a Happy New Year!

Fascination Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 4:19am
post #49 of 58

Me again,
I showed pictures of my mice & now everyone wants some;
I've made a whole tray to be added to dessert plates on New Year's day,
and I am making little gift boxes.
I positioned 5 little guys on 6inch gold boards (attached with a drop of chocolate so they do not move) and placed them in gold boxes tied with gold & red ribbon.

attached is image of my second batch (the mice are just as cute, but my photography is getting better!)
Thanks for looking.
Happy New Year Everyone !!

Ciao
LL

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 3:29am
post #50 of 58

ooooh! i make these! except, i don't use oreos.

i made this batch for my uncle's 60th birthday party/nye. I also made some for a friend's mary kay party with pink noses (you know, for us girlies!)

i want to make them for my superbowl party too, i'm just not sure now to incorporate football into them...

Fascination Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 12:04pm
post #51 of 58

Hello jescapades

If you place them on something (like the cookie) it is easier to add to them (like the 'wreath' on mine).
I just brought some to a dinner party, where the hostess always uses pink on her dinner table, so I added pink drop flowers (she had pink carnations in her center piece).
For your football theme, you could add a chocolate covered almond; using gel or white chocolate you can add the stitching lines.
Instead of oreos, you can use any other cookie with a touch of green icing for the trurf;or try crackers (the combination of salty & sweet tastes is awesome); or make a bit of chocolate clay using green candy melts. then with a football shaped cookie cutter you can make a base for the mice to sit on. & if you are really a fan, add a stripe (team colors of course) to either the base or the little guys themselves...
what do you think?
ciao for now

7yyrt Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 5:32pm
post #52 of 58

Image Tis the season!
There have been questions about these mice... EEK!!

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 2:17am
post #53 of 58

I sold close to 100 of these at a craft fair today and the same last weekend!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 2:27am
post #54 of 58

justducky,

What did you charge per mouse?

Thanks

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 1:41pm
post #55 of 58

I charge 1.75 per mouse. The point of the craft fairs is to get the word of mouth for the cake side of the business. So I only being mice, snowmen, spoons and cocoa cones.

From two craft fairs I got 5 very large dessert buffet orders, 3 cake orders and 6 cookie platter orders. Not bad for a $10 and $15 entry fee. And these were both slow shows!

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 2:28pm
post #56 of 58

At our bakery we sell them for $2.00 each, we use the whole Oreo cookie ( we use a cookie chocolate mold to get the white chocolate onto the cookie and then there is already a pattern on the chocolate). Wilton makes some of the molds, but our are from our local candy supply depot and do not have a brand name.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 3:02pm
post #57 of 58

I've made a version of these before that use white chocolate with chips instead of kisses. They sit on triangles of shortbread as if they were little wedges of cheese. I find that the flavor of Oreos overpowers and takes over, while the buttery crunch of shortbread compliments the white chocolate and cherry nicely and is a little more elegant for a party. I don't bother with the coconut whiskers, and I use silver or gold dragees for the noses, rather than red hots. People cannot get enough of these.

http://tinyurl.com/2bn6lbh

7yyrt Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 5:44pm
post #58 of 58

Here's the dark ones I found with a chip face.
ImageImage
Instructions here:
http://homecooking.about.com/od/dessertrecipes/ss/chocomicesbs_6.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%