How Much Money Are You Making?

Business By estherhead Updated 12 Jul 2005 , 7:15pm by sheilaattaway

estherhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
estherhead Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 19

If you all are willing, could you tell me if you are making a profit on your cake businesses, what makes you the most profit, and how much you make annually? Also, how long did you have your business before you had most of the equipment and were just buying supplies? How long before you turned a profit. Finally, I saw a pricing code or something that people were getting e-mailed to them, could I have that e-mailed to me? I feel as though I'm charging the right amount but I have never had a client turn down a price which makes me nervous. If I was really charging enough, wouldn't someone say I was too high and go elsewhere?

18 replies
AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 19

I haven't had any clients yet, so I'm afraid I can't help you on that. I wanted to try to answer since you didn't have any answers yet. I have a potential client coming up for June, but not sure yet. I'm going to be working from home, but nervous about advertising since I don't have a commercial kitchen. I'm at the point of trying to get the word out that I DO cakes by making samples for my neighbors and perhaps some of the college's offices or frat houses.

You can request the pricing matrix from Dawn - Cali4Dawn, I think is her username. I am confused about pricing, too. I have yet to try to open the Excel matrix, as I don't have Excel on my computer and don't know if it's possible to convert yet.. I am going to try, though. I think if you say about $1.00 a slice, you will be good, just figure out how many servings it has from the Wilton site.

Blessings,
~AngelWendy

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead

If you all are willing, could you tell me if you are making a profit on your cake businesses, what makes you the most profit, and how much you make annually? Also, how long did you have your business before you had most of the equipment and were just buying supplies? How long before you turned a profit. Finally, I saw a pricing code or something that people were getting e-mailed to them, could I have that e-mailed to me? I feel as though I'm charging the right amount but I have never had a client turn down a price which makes me nervous. If I was really charging enough, wouldn't someone say I was too high and go elsewhere?

How much are you charging for your cakes?
Last nite in our wilton class, tha was a topic that came up. one of the ladies there had taked to a local bakery here, a well known bakery and he told her never to sell your cakes cheaper than 15.00 per every box you use...

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 19

Last nite in our wilton class, tha was a topic that came up. one of the ladies there had taked to a local bakery here, a well known bakery and he told her never to sell your cakes cheaper than 15.00 per every box you use...[/quote]

Wow that would mean at least $90 for a full sheet cake. That would never fly around here, walmart sell them for like $40. People would laugh if I told them it was 90 bucks.

momof3jotynjake Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

Last nite in our wilton class, tha was a topic that came up. one of the ladies there had taked to a local bakery here, a well known bakery and he told her never to sell your cakes cheaper than 15.00 per every box you use...

Wow that would mean at least $90 for a full sheet cake. That would never fly around here, walmart sell them for like $40. People would laugh if I told them it was 90 bucks.[/quote]

YA, THAT IS WHAT I THOUGHT TOO... I LOOKED AROUND HERE AND FOR A FULL SHEET AT A BAKERY,,,, IT RAN ABOUT 90..B UT I DONT THINK I CAN CHARGE THAT MUCH..
IM DOING A 1/2 SHEET... AND CHARGING 40.00... DO YOU THINK THAT IS MUHC?

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 19

I'm still working the pricing thing out right now. There aren't really any bakeries, except Publix and Walmart. I'm usually a little higher than Publix, and a lot more than walmart. $40 sounds good to me, but we live in a small town thumbs_up.gif

estherhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
estherhead Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 19

Thanks for all the posts! I've been charging $2.00 per slice for wedding cakes and $3.00 per slice for fondant wedding cakes but am very unsure of sheet cakes. I made a 22x36 cake, one layer, simple decorations for $50.00 and she had no problem with it. But I'm pretty sure a real bakery would think that too little. I haven't figured it all out yet, the sheet cake thing. I just added a sculpted beer bottle cake for one person (maybe 6 servings or so) to a wedding as a favor for a particular guest and I only charged $20.00 for it. I know that is too cheap but I was clueless and basically guessed, no pricing matrix or anything. Plus I have no idea how long it will take me!

I will say, tho, that I'm already turning a profit (I started in January) and am considering buying more equipment, like a bigger mixer. So I must not be doing too bad.

momof3jotynjake Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead

Thanks for all the posts! I've been charging $2.00 per slice for wedding cakes and $3.00 per slice for fondant wedding cakes but am very unsure of sheet cakes. I made a 22x36 cake, one layer, simple decorations for $50.00 and she had no problem with it. But I'm pretty sure a real bakery would think that too little. I haven't figured it all out yet, the sheet cake thing. I just added a sculpted beer bottle cake for one person (maybe 6 servings or so) to a wedding as a favor for a particular guest and I only charged $20.00 for it. I know that is too cheap but I was clueless and basically guessed, no pricing matrix or anything. Plus I have no idea how long it will take me!

I will say, tho, that I'm already turning a profit (I started in January) and am considering buying more equipment, like a bigger mixer. So I must not be doing too bad.

good job Esther! that is awesome! how many cakes a month do you do?
I hope i can start making a profit too icon_smile.gif

Connie515 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie515 Posted 4 May 2005 , 4:39am
post #9 of 19

I charge $50.00 for a ½ sheet $10.00 extra for a photo image and $75.00 for a full sheet. I live in California though so people are willing to pay that price. I have wedding cakes coming up in June, September and January and I will be selling those cakes for $2 a slice. The cake in January may be more per slice because it's on New Years Day. What do you think? Should I charge more because it's on New Years Day?
I called a local bakery for price quotes and they charge for the cake then xtra for filling and xtra for toys and xtra for the design. Toys=$8, Design=18, Not too sure on the filling.

Also, I use the $$ I get for the next cake or more tips, supplies so really I don't make a proft it's more for fun until I have three-four cakes a week then I will be making a profit.

momof3jotynjake Posted 4 May 2005 , 2:27pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie515

I charge $50.00 for a ½ sheet $10.00 extra for a photo image and $75.00 for a full sheet. I live in California though so people are willing to pay that price. I have wedding cakes coming up in June, September and January and I will be selling those cakes for $2 a slice. The cake in January may be more per slice because it's on New Years Day. What do you think? Should I charge more because it's on New Years Day?
I called a local bakery for price quotes and they charge for the cake then xtra for filling and xtra for toys and xtra for the design. Toys=$8, Design=18, Not too sure on the filling.

Also, I use the $$ I get for the next cake or more tips, supplies so really I don't make a proft it's more for fun until I have three-four cakes a week then I will be making a profit.

THose are good prices connie... i am also in California.. Where abouts are you?

Connie515 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie515 Posted 4 May 2005 , 5:08pm
post #11 of 19

I'm in San Diego icon_biggrin.gif

momof3jotynjake Posted 4 May 2005 , 5:12pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie515

I'm in San Diego icon_biggrin.gif

OH ,OK! COOL..
IM IN WHITTIER

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 6 May 2005 , 2:41am
post #13 of 19

i think i gotto a slow start.........I didnt have many cakes so the 1st year all my money wentto supplies. So now I finally think that i making a profit.
I make about $1.25-$1.75 a slice extras are extra.
for a wedding cake.

but after reading this post im starting to wonder is that too low?
I dont have a kitchen and only work through word of mouth..since here you need a food permit.

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 7 May 2005 , 10:05pm
post #14 of 19

What does anyone in Florida charge per slice wedding and per 1/2 sheet?? Anyone?

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 8 May 2005 , 2:04am
post #15 of 19

im not sure if im going to be much help . but ppl around here charge 2.50 per slice. so i charge 1.75-2.00 just depends on the cake (wedding)

for other cakes i charge about 15 for character cakes
1/2 sheet 25.00 full sheet 35.00

i make about 900 a month but im a small home based business. plus im doing it part time..

alot of the stuff i bought i bought off of ebay.they really saved me. jun will be my 1 year anny. hope this helps alittle icon_biggrin.gif

momof3jotynjake Posted 8 May 2005 , 2:15am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebubbieschocolates

im not sure if im going to be much help . but ppl around here charge 2.50 per slice. so i charge 1.75-2.00 just depends on the cake (wedding)

for other cakes i charge about 15 for character cakes
1/2 sheet 25.00 full sheet 35.00

i make about 900 a month but im a small home based business. plus im doing it part time..

alot of the stuff i bought i bought off of ebay.they really saved me. jun will be my 1 year anny. hope this helps alittle icon_biggrin.gif

wow! 900 a month...how many cakes is that!!! that is awsome! i hope someday im making that!! that is great!
so you must always be bakign!!

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 8 May 2005 , 5:52am
post #17 of 19

i make everything chocolates cookies bread sandwhiches everything i dont just do cakes. i also live in a very small town. so that helps too. alot of ppl dont want to go to the stores. this summer is going to be crazy lot of ppl love getting married in maine. and im already booked..

word of mouth is ur best friend

het518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
het518 Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 10:43pm
post #18 of 19

I am in Kansas. ..I am not sure about the permits/liscence in this state. I have been doing cakes for friends and family and charging $20.00.
If any has the pricing matrix I would like to know if you could email it to me [email protected].
Also if anyone knows about the laws in kansas let me know.
Thanks

sheilaattaway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilaattaway Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 7:15pm
post #19 of 19

I would charge 100% profit. If you spend 20 on the materials for the cake, includig the box and plate or stand, you would charge 40, if it cost you 40 to make then you sould charge 80.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%