How Do You Feel About Fondant From Wilton?

Decorating By MistyC Updated 30 Aug 2004 , 7:43pm by Zabrip

MistyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MistyC Posted 14 Aug 2004 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 12

Thank you for all your help before with the orange creamsicle cake!

I am going to cover whatever cake I finally decide on in fondant. I am using Wilton's boxed stuff. How do you feel about it. I plan on kneading some kind of clear flavor into it.

Misty

11 replies
southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 14 Aug 2004 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 12

You hear lots of people talk about not liking the Wilton fondant, but my husband and his entire family LOVE it (with buttercream underneath)! I haven't tested it on my side of the family yet, but it passed the mother-in-law test! I have just recently started experimenting with fondant and I am trying to find a class to help me out.

I would buy a small box and try it!

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 14 Aug 2004 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 12

There is two products that are better tasting then the wilton fondant...

They are Pettinice and Satin Ice... The other thing you could do is there a a recipe on my site that a lady has made her own fondant and from what others say it has a good taste also.. If you would like that recipe PM me and I will find it for ya. good luck.

Tammy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammy Posted 14 Aug 2004 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 12

I am not wild about wilton fondant. Have you tried making marshmellow fondant?

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 14 Aug 2004 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 12

I made the marshmallow fondant recipe posted on another site. I really liked the flavor and texture, but I have not used it to cover a cake yet (I just made a small batch to taste).

Tammy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammy Posted 14 Aug 2004 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 12

I covered a cake with it once and it was really easy to roll out. Nice and thin. I just recently made a small batch to practice molding. Added alittle raspberry flav to it YUM

Amy28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy28 Posted 15 Aug 2004 , 12:58am
post #7 of 12

Mill Lane makes a really tasty fondant. I order it from creativecutters.com (A great site for shopping for those of us addicted to cake decorating!)

I'm not crazy about the taste of the wilton stuff, but I found it holds up really well for modeling.

It costs a fortune though. That's another reason I don't buy it.

MistyC Posted 15 Aug 2004 , 5:30am
post #8 of 12

I thought about making it myself but the wedding is saturday. Yes this coming saturday the 21st! I'm going to go with the Wilton and add some flavoring to it and hope for the best. I'll be putting buttercream under it so hopefully if people don't like it they can just peel it off.

I have to travel 1 1/2's with the cake! I'm making three layers and boxing them all individually so I hope it makes it there!

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 15 Aug 2004 , 3:23pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

I'm making three layers and boxing them all individually so I hope it makes it there!

You should be fine just keep them in the car in the air condtioning and make sure that they are laying flat where ever you sit them..

You can get some of the non slid stuff that you put in draws to keep them from sliding I lay a piece in my box and I lay A long piece in the back sit after I lay the sits down and place the boxes on that too..

Make sure that you take some extra stuff with you if you need to repair anything .. Good luck ... Please post a photo of the cake when your done..

MistyC Posted 15 Aug 2004 , 4:07pm
post #10 of 12

We bought some of that non slide stuff last night! The cakes are going to be put in a cooler with Ice but on top of some other stuff so that they aren't "in" the ice because after we get there they have to sit in the car for about an hour before I can take them out and assemble them. Maybe even a bit longer.

rC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rC Posted 28 Aug 2004 , 1:00am
post #11 of 12

I use it for modeling. It is not too dry and is perfect for this.

Zabrip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zabrip Posted 30 Aug 2004 , 7:43pm
post #12 of 12

I hate the way the Wilton fondant tastes . I just use it for modeling because its less expensive. I use pettinice fondant and its wonderful, much easier to work with and takes color alot smoother...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%