Issues W Coloring Smbc

Decorating By albumangel Updated 25 Feb 2007 , 10:44pm by moydear77

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 12

I'm having my first SMBC experience, and boy, has it ever been a learning curve! I keep running up to my computer and this site to search these threads, and have found answers to SO MANY of my questions and issues!

I've got a large batch of SMBC that I've tried to color "mauve." I've used a TON of color in it, but it just doesn't seem to want to get a little darker or brighter. Is this typical of SMBC? My RI and BC have taken color so easily in the past.

Any tips for adding color to SMBC? Thanks!

11 replies
albumangel Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 12

So, I refridgerated it overnight, then took it out this morning and tried to smooth it out a bit more using the hot spatula method. As soon as the spatula touched the cake, the color changed. So, I "marbled" the cake all over and it's OK (funny how a mistake can become a new decorative touch)!

It's OK, but I'd still love to hear any of your tips about coloring SMBC, or do most of you just use it white?
LL

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 12

Meringue based buttercreams color very differently than powdered sugar icing. The powdered sugar has cornstarch in it which will soak up color readily. You must use high pigment color ( Americolor is fine) and I always use one shade darker than desired effect. ie" use violet for lavender.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 12

when I color my buttercream I use high quality gel colors only.

You can see the vibrant colors that you can get in the Cupcake Cafe Book

albumangel Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks! I used a combo of Wilton gel and Americolor on this one.

It's good to know for next time that I need to go a shade darker, and that it's not just my lack of skill. It makes sense with the different texture.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 12

I do love the look you got from the frosting though=) Really pretty! Jen

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 12

If you have them, oil based candy colors do the best job of colouring IMBC.

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 12

I have switched over to IMBC and had constant problems with the marbling whenever I use hot spatula method on my cold cakes. Not quite sure why.... I have never tried coloring the deeper though. I have learned to use a mixture of powdered coloring and Americolor and if I can't do that then I add a bit of Crisco and it helps my icing hold the color better. Not sure why on that either.... this is one of the burning questions that is driving me to pursue a pastry school... once my kiddos are all older icon_biggrin.gif

RisqueBusiness Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 12

after I ice my cakes, I throw them in the freezer after I get them as smooth as possible and then scrape the spatula over the little bumps to smooth them..

albumangel Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 9:04pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

after I ice my cakes, I throw them in the freezer after I get them as smooth as possible and then scrape the spatula over the little bumps to smooth them..

Does the color "marble" when you do that?

RisqueBusiness Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 9:07pm
post #11 of 12

oh I've never colored my icing...I base ice them and then decorate as needed..sorry can't answer..

but I wouldn't think so, when I do that they don't change shades as they do when I used the hot knife on the plain icing

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 10:44pm
post #12 of 12

I never use a a hot spat anymore. It does marble if you apply a heated spat to it. As Risque said the easiest way to smooth it is to chill and literally scrape the cake smooth.

I use oil based colors too because of the high fat content.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%