I Hate My Cake

Decorating By heather2780 Updated 24 Feb 2007 , 9:42pm by heather2780

heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:28am
post #1 of 21

I made this cake tonight with my 7 year old for his cake auction tommrow the bids are only expected to be 5 or 10 maybe 20 dollars per cake but I hate this cake I hate it probably more than any cake I have done ever!! everything went wrong the buttercreme turned out runny the colors didnt mix well the ri didnt dry long enough and most of the pieces broke I just hate it I want to throw it away and start over but this is due first thing in the morning icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif i'm so fustrated I hate putting my name on something for a couple hundred people to see that is so far below standards. please take a look tell me if this was your cake would you put it on display the cake is chocolate with cookies and creme filling.
p.s im not fishing for compliments I really hate this cake. thankyou for your time. I have never been able to post pics in the message so please look at my photos its the spongebob cake.
LL

20 replies
ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:32am
post #2 of 21

I think its fine and cute, and stop beating yourself up. You made this with your 7 year old and any kid at the auction will just HAVE to have it.

Take a deep breath and get some sleep - you did fine. icon_smile.gif ~hugs~

We are our worst critics you know... lol

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:37am
post #3 of 21

My daughter saw the picture and immediately declared she needed it! Now she won't shut up about it! I think it is GREAT! And I do NOT give false compliments, that is a great cake for your event.

Remember my rule: "I am my own worst critic, I am NOT allowed to point out flaws to other people" since they won't see the flaws even when I do point them out!

cakejunkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakejunkie Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:37am
post #4 of 21

First of all let me just say that I think your cake is very cute! in fact my 5 year old and my 2 year old think so awesome that they want it for their birthdays! I think that sometimes when you are working on a cake and everyhting seems to be going wrong it tends to make you despise the whole project. I think that your being to hard on yourself! icon_biggrin.gif maybe you will like more tomorrow after you have had some time to step away from it. icon_rolleyes.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:38am
post #5 of 21

My grandson would certainly make me bid $20 on this cake. It is very cute and you should be using your energy bragging on your 7 year old's help and talent instead of beating yourself up.

Good luck with the auction.

Diane

heather2780 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:42am
post #6 of 21

your right my baby did a great job he really did and I will brag about him all day tommrow this was just one of those projects where i wanted to give up cake decorating all togther by the way my son thinks its great and i have giving him no reason to think I feel like its not great.

cesi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cesi Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:43am
post #7 of 21

i think it looks awesome..we are our worsts critics but i cant see not one thing wrong with it!!

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:46am
post #8 of 21

Your Spongebob is soooo cute and clear looking that it's what's going to draw everyone's eye, and then they'll see the chocolate shells. The cake has an underwater feel to it, so give yourself a break and relax. They're going to love it!

On a side note, I just posted about a cake I'm in the middle of doing too that I can't stand. I know how you feel, but remember always that we are our own worst critics. icon_wink.gif

Sarah

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:47am
post #9 of 21

don't panic! Everyone at the auction will love it!! I have learned that not everyone has the same taste. Often times the cakes that I make that I hate end up being my friends' and customers' favorite!

My "I love you" cake in my photos was just a practice cake that I hate. It's TOTALLY lame, but everyone rants and raves about it. I especially hate the colors, but the most common comment that I receive on it is, "I just love the colors!" Funny.

Tonight I made a purse cake that I hate.....we'll see what the reaction is tomorrow. It's being served to an entire family that I have made cakes for before and I have a "reputation" to live up to. EEK! And I had to make 2 cakes for them for tomorrow. At least I like one of them, but it's already starting to sag!!!

Oh Well!!! Your cake is GREAT!!

dadams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dadams Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:13am
post #10 of 21

this will end up being your favorite cake
because you made it with your son

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:20am
post #11 of 21

I agree with dadams! I made a Chocolate Poke Cake last weekend with my 2 year old son....it was the most fun cake ever!!! He really liked helping me and it was very yummy!

heather2780 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:30am
post #12 of 21

Ive made lots of things with my kids just for us to eat here or for my son to take to school and I always love them they are my favorite's but I hate this cake I love the things my son did he made the sea shells and the lines but I iced the cake and I made the doors and windows I carved the thing I made the ri leaves I made the lines where he should trace the brown over I mixed the colors i made the runny frosting and those are the things I hate about it. It will be ok just breath right? everyone will love it and hey at least I know it taste really good.

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 10:11am
post #13 of 21

Everyone will adore it! Your spongebob is perfect, your 7 yr old son helped with the decorations which shows your a great mum (I guess you guys spell it mom) who involves her children in her activities and your'e doing a great thing by donating a cake in the first place.

Don't lose sleep over this as what your seeing won't be what others see.

Good luck and let us know how many rave reviews you got!!!

Mary

Nathalie1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nathalie1970 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 10:23am
post #14 of 21

I hate Spongebob movies but I LOVE!!!!!! your cake. Your Bob looks great!
He's special because you did it together with your son who loves his mom for doing this specialy for him!!!!
I think he'll bringup more than $ 20!!!!!
Great Job
thumbs_up.gif

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 9:04pm
post #15 of 21

[puts on pseudo-therapist hat]

I realize that when you look at this cake you only see disappointment in yourself. You may write off the postive comments about how great the cake looks (which it does) because you know it wasn't your best work. While I guess it's possible that you could have done better if you had just done this or changed that, the truth is that the end result is a fabulous cake that you and your son created together.

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 9:12pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by daranaco

[puts on pseudo-therapist hat]

I realize that when you look at this cake you only see disappointment in yourself. You may write off the postive comments about how great the cake looks (which it does) because you know it wasn't your best work. While I guess it's possible that you could have done better if you had just done this or changed that, the truth is that the end result is a fabulous cake that you and your son created together.

WELL SAID!!!, I completely agree!

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 9:15pm
post #17 of 21

It is true we are our own worst critics. Now take a breath and remember the most important part your 7 year old helped. that is worth any turnout and a memory that will be cherished. If you are worried about what people will think don't. Most people don't have a clue and couldn't even ice a cake these days.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 9:28pm
post #18 of 21

I'm sure it will do well, it is cute. Let us know how the auction goes.

Dennysse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dennysse Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 9:33pm
post #19 of 21

My 4 yr old is looking at your cake right now and he wants me to buy this "Ponge Bob" cake for him!I think is lovely and looks yum! icon_biggrin.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 9:42pm
post #20 of 21

...your cake pic should be there now! thumbs_up.gif

BTW....I think you did a terrific job on your cake!

heather2780 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 9:42pm
post #21 of 21

ok guys so here goes the auction was today and I was shocked to see that on the papers it said there was a min bid of 50 cents there kidding right the most some people got for there cakes was 2 dollars I felt awful for those kids ours got a grand ol 15 dollars (not even close to what it cost to make the thing icon_biggrin.gif ) the only cake that got higher was a scouts shirt that was clearly made by the parent the poor boy when all the boys were annoucing there cakes and saying what they helped with he sat there and said mom mom didnt want my help icon_sad.gif This happens to be a family that is in my den and she is a horriable women cant stand to have someone show her up and while she is very excited she got the highest bid nothing and i mean nothing beats watching my son presenting his cake and seeing all the people signing there names to bid on it i'am so proud of him and I just feel silly for the way I felt yesterday you guys are right this will go down as one of my favorite cakes not the best looking but an amazing experience thankyou.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%