So Excited!

Decorating By melissablack Updated 30 Mar 2005 , 2:54am by tcturtleshell

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 49

I finished all 3 Wilton classes last winter, and I just got an e-mail from my instructor that they are FINALLY going to offer a gum paste class!! I am SO excited. I've been in a slump for awhile and am just dying to learn something new.

No one else around here seems to share my excitement, so I just had to share with you all.... lol!!

Melissa icon_biggrin.gif

48 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 49

That's awesome thumbs_up.gif ! I wonder if they're offering them here too. I'm going to have to make some calls.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 49

That's great! I've been trying to find a local class in gumpaste but I don't think the cake stores want the competition. They want you to buy their's!
Good luck with it!

Debbie

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 49

Great news Melissa!! thumbs_up.gif You're gonna learn so much!! My teacher did private lessons in her home but she charged too much. I couldn't afford it. I go to a cake supply store to get all my stuff & have made friends w/ the owners. There is a man that comes in all the time there that does gumpaste. He is very, very good!! He is going to start teaching classes there!!! He isn't charging anything!!!!!!! I can afford that!! thumbs_up.gif All you have to pay for is your supplies!! He loves the art of gumpaste so much that he wants to teach it. I'm very excited about this!!!! I'm so happy that you will be learning gumpaste!! Go get em'!!!!!!

I know how you feel when no one around you gets excited over the cake thing! I feel they should jump up w/ excitement when I show them a new cake or tell them something I've just learned. Oh, well I guess that's why I call it my hobby!! They have theres & I have mine!! icon_smile.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 49

Enjoy your class for me melissa, I don't have time to take any classes right now. icon_cry.gif Will have to wait until summer at the very least.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 49

Isn't it funny how we get so excited over something like this! I am the same way! I am taking a weekend class from Toba Garrett the end of next month..gumpaste flowers too! I can hardly wait! Good luck to you!

m0use Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 49

Oh cool icon_biggrin.gif Hope you have a blast MrsMissey thumbs_up.gif

thecakemaker Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 3:34pm
post #8 of 49

That's great MrsMissey! One day..... icon_rolleyes.gif

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 49

Ooooh! How fun! I'd be excited if I were you too! What a great skill to learn. icon_smile.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 3:40pm
post #10 of 49

Toba Garrett! Wow! Let us know how it goes.

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 3:58pm
post #11 of 49

icon_surprised.gif Enjoy your class! I would love to take a class like that, but the only ones that I hear of are Nicholas Lodge and he is VERY expensive. How do you find out about the various classes being offered?

MrsMissey Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 3:58pm
post #12 of 49

..see what I mean...see how excited you all get! I love it! Thanks! I will gladly share anything I learn with all of you! icon_biggrin.gif

thecakemaker Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:01pm
post #13 of 49

We need to have a DOS on the East coast some time!

MrsMissey Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:02pm
post #14 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchelle

icon_surprised.gif Enjoy your class! I would love to take a class like that, but the only ones that I hear of are Nicholas Lodge and he is VERY expensive. How do you find out about the various classes being offered?

For this class..there was a notice in the ICES newsletter. The price for the two day class is $250 icon_eek.gif Sure hope it's worth it!

MrsMissey Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:06pm
post #15 of 49

Debbie..I agree! I'm ready when you are LOL!!

thecakemaker Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:07pm
post #16 of 49

It will be worth it! Wish I were going. It's not the tuition so much as the time off from work and the travel and lodging! Maybe next year for the Ladycakes DOS I will have to come up with something to teach so I can catch a break! Cowboy Hat maybe?

Deb icon_rolleyes.gif

thecakemaker Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:17pm
post #17 of 49

Sounds great! How do we go about getting some people together?

Debbie party.gif

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:23pm
post #18 of 49

I don't think my class will be very expensive... I sure hope not anyway. It is just through my local Wilton instructor and/or her mother. I don't know if it's an 'official' class or just something they are putting together.

One day, if I am getting a lot of business and can justify it... I would like to go somewhere and take a few classes from somebody really professional!

Melissa icon_smile.gif

MrsMissey Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:23pm
post #19 of 49

..I don't know. Maybe Ladycakes or cali4dawn could give us some info. I think they had an informal DOS recently.

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:26pm
post #20 of 49

I am excited for you thumbs_up.gif I am keeping an eye out for classes like that too but have yet to find anything icon_cry.gif

Have fun and post your creations here please

thecakemaker Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:35pm
post #21 of 49

OK Ladycakes or cali4dawn ~ how do we go about getting some people together for a DOS?

Debbie

Hey! I just realized I'm a Forum Addict! Not that I didn't know that I was addicted but now it's in print! thumbs_up.gif

Mchelle Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:41pm
post #22 of 49

I would love a DOS on the east coast!

thecakemaker Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:44pm
post #23 of 49

The numbers are growing! Let's definitely work on this one! How many more people are interested? Who has a suggestion for a place or the room to do it at their place? After we get some people together maybe we can get a central location and go from there?

Debbie

m0use Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:56pm
post #24 of 49

I would not mind doing one in the midwest at my house. I have enough room to have people in several different areas and I have a nice kitchen set up.
Of course I would have to run it by my husband first, but there are plenty of hotels to stay at in my area.

galaglow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galaglow Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:56pm
post #25 of 49

Good luck in your class! I'm jealous. The only place around me that offers any sort of classes is a Micheals craft store a few hours away. I think they just do the first few Wilton classes - none of which I have taken because their samples on display look horrid!! They have a Wilton I cake on display that looks a hundred years old and covered with dust and a fondant ribbon cake that my 6 year old could have done a better job of! icon_sad.gif

Have fun and tell us all about it, so I know what to do with my Wilton Gumpaste Kit that I bought to teach myself!!

MrsMissey Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 5:18pm
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakemaker

The numbers are growing! Let's definitely work on this one! How many more people are interested? Who has a suggestion for a place or the room to do it at their place? After we get some people together maybe we can get a central location and go from there?

Debbie

Really..let's get to work on this! I can provide the space! I can have Tom empty out the showroom floor and that would hold at least 100 people!

MrsMissey Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 5:22pm
post #27 of 49

...at this point we may want to start a new "thread" titled East Coast DOS or something and see what kind of response we get?!

Mchelle Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 5:22pm
post #28 of 49

Although I don't have the room, I would love to. Can I be of any help?

MrsMissey Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 5:29pm
post #29 of 49

Absolutely Mchelle! I don't know about thecakemaker but I've never done this before!

thecakemaker Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 6:06pm
post #30 of 49

I've never done anything like this but am very interested! Do you want to set up the "thread"? Let's see who's interested and start getting some ideas together.

Debbie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%