Topsy Turvy Cake - Working Out Number Of Servings

Decorating By boonenati Updated 27 Feb 2006 , 12:07am by boonenati

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 8:51am
post #1 of 11

HI Folks
I have been asked for a quote for a topsy turvy cake. I work out all my serving sizes accoding to the Wilton guide, I use the guide given in the Wilton website as a dessert serve, and half of that as a coffee serve. I have seen these servings sizes often used in Australia where I live. I have been looking at the Topsy Turvy cake directions on this site, which serves 100. Does anyone the size of these servings? I am assuming they are what i call dessert serves. Now I need to do a cake for 300 coffee serves or 150 dessert. So an extra 50 serves on the cake on this site. Does anyone know how i would work out what size cakes i need to bake to get these many servings?? I still want to do only 3 tiers
Thanks so much in advance
Nati

10 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 11

I would think the servings for one of these cakes is more or less the same as a regular tiered cake, you just lose a little height on some of the slices. According to the cake matrix, a 16", 12" & 8" cake will give you 155 1"x2" servings. HTH

boonenati Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alimonkey

I would think the servings for one of these cakes is more or less the same as a regular tiered cake, you just lose a little height on some of the slices. According to the cake matrix, a 16", 12" & 8" cake will give you 155 1"x2" servings. HTH

alimonkey, i thought the same thing at first, and then realised that there is quite a bit of cake lost when you cut off the center to insert the next cake. I will go for your suggestion, just adding a bit more height to each tier. Unless anyone else has any thoughts??
Thanks so much
Nati

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 11

If you have to portion to 300 servings, why don't you do slab/sheet cakes for the rest of the servings?

I worked in kitchens for 10 years and it's a NIGHTMARE icon_mad.gif to be presented with a Topsy-Turvy cake to portion evenly. The kitchen can have 100-200 slices cut easily from your slab cakes before the bride and groom even cut the cake at the reception.

It will vastly speed up the dessert service to do it that way...then the real cake 6", 9" & 12" can serve 100 or so dessert portions.

Or, just add a slab cake for 50 dessert portions to the cake.

boonenati Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

Or, just add a slab cake for 50 dessert portions to the cake.

Wow Antonia
that is a wonderful idea!!
thanks so much!!
Nati

boonenati Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 12:42pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for your help!! The cake is finally done, it was hard!!!
But i learnt a lot from it, and will do many things differently next time. Phew!!
Going to be for some well deserved sleep.
Nighty night folks!!!
Nati
PS: Cake is in the topsy turvy galleries

gcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gcc Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 11

Nati,
Well done. It was a shame that you had so much drama with this cake but it looks terrific.
I was just looking at the tutuorial on CC of how to construct the topsy turvy cake, was this what you followed to do yours?
I didn't realise you lose an awful lot of cake just making it level to make the illusion of it being topsy turvey. Does that make sense? icon_redface.gif
Anyway you did a fantastic job of the cake.
Karen

boonenati Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen52

Nati,
Well done. It was a shame that you had so much drama with this cake but it looks terrific.
I was just looking at the tutuorial on CC of how to construct the topsy turvy cake, was this what you followed to do yours?
I didn't realise you lose an awful lot of cake just making it level to make the illusion of it being topsy turvey. Does that make sense? icon_redface.gif
Anyway you did a fantastic job of the cake.
Karen

Karen
I did follow this tutorial somewhat to do my cake. The tute uses 2 inch cakes, but i only bake 3 inch ones. This meant that i did a lot less baking than the instructions, the main thing that I couldnt follow was the dowelling because i wasnt able to get that type of board and dowels here. I just used regular wooden ones and silver covered boards. It was messy and very very stressful. I told my mum and dad about the drama i went through and both of them came over yesterday to help me clean the house, i tried to get them not to do it, but before i knew it mum was in the shower washing it up and down. She said "you've been busy and you're tired, so im helping you". My dad vacuumed and tried to design a stand in aluminium to prevent the drama i had on Saturday night/Sunday morning. I just dont know when i will get another cake like this again ; )
Hopefully not soon. I think covering this cake in buttercream would be a LOT easier!!
And you're right, you lose a LOT of cake when you're carving.
Nati

gcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gcc Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 11:39pm
post #9 of 11

Hi Nati,
Thanks for your reply,

I am finding there are a few things that we can't get here that are mentioned on the boards. Crisco is the main one because I would like to try the all crisco buttercream & the faux fondant. I had to laugh when you said what your parents did. I clean my daughter's apartment every week, because she is working full time, it's a parent thing.
Anyway back to cakes. I just think yours turned out beautifully and I'm sure you've learned a lot from this first one.
Thanks again, Karen

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 11:55pm
post #10 of 11

Boonenati, I think that is my All-time-favorite topsy turvy EVER!!!! It's beautiful, and boy does it look dangerous!! Congratulations!

boonenati Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 12:07am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastycakes

Boonenati, I think that is my All-time-favorite topsy turvy EVER!!!! It's beautiful, and boy does it look dangerous!! Congratulations!

Thanks tastycakes!! Really appreciate the compliement. And yes it looked and felt dangerous. Hubby sat in the back seat of the car, with half the back seat lowered so he could keep an eye on it all the way. I drove super slow too.
Phew, im so glad it's over, it was not an enjoyable experience, but at least i have a good photo, with a very strange looking cake that looks like it was a feat of engineering!! hahahahahaha
Nati

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%