Brush With "greatness"

Lounge By flayvurdfun Updated 26 Dec 2005 , 1:52am by mommachris

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 2:26am
post #1 of 39

And another.....

I think this was once something that started so I thought I would try it again.

my brush with greatness was being on a tugboat while filming "the hunt for red october" and talking with Sean Connerey and Alec Baldwin.

38 replies
Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 5:18am
post #2 of 39

I'll play~ Met Miss America....Erika Harold....wonderful young woman with a heart AND a brain! All too rare characteristics in those circles...

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 5:31am
post #3 of 39

I had one of my paintings chosen to be in the Brooklyn Museum of Art when I was very young.

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 5:51am
post #4 of 39

I suppose "greatness" is subjective.

I can say that the two most recent ones I met were Miss USA 2004/5, shes from our town and came to the restaurant I was working at for a private reception. They closed the whole restaurant for her, so I guess they thought she was great.

And most recently, Jamie Oliver. cool cat, just as smooth in person as he appears on TV.

I'm good friends with Michael McDonalds' best friend too, since we're all from the same small town. Now THAT is a nice guy, who is totally about his hometown.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 5:53am
post #5 of 39

OH HEY! My kid is a 9 time national baton twirling champion!!!!! Does she count? LOL! And NOT like on "Miss Congeniality"...!!!!!! The real deal. I brush with her all the time~~~~

talmas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talmas Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 12:33pm
post #6 of 39

flayvurdfun,
I am sooo jealous. I would have loved to meet Sean Connerey. Even at his age he has still got it.

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 1:10pm
post #7 of 39

Phoov.. that is hysterical. icon_lol.gif I think that certainly counts and is probably the best kind of greatness!!

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 39

Met and got autographs from Peggy Flemming and Billie Jean King, on seperate occassions, both at the Detroit Metro airport. Oh, also met John Stamos at the Townsend Hotel while having tea--he was staying there while he was on tour playing drums for the Beach Boys.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 39

You guys and your A listers!! Me, I am all about the B list celebs-I saw Angelina Jolie's brother in the French quarter one time, met Flickerstick, winners of VH-1's Bands on the Run series, got kissed on the cheek by Johnny Lee ("Lookin' for love in all the wrong places") when I was a little girl, saw Jackie Mason when I was in NYC (now mind you Steve Martin and Beyonce' were filming not far from there and who do I get to see-Jackie Mason!!!???!! Lucky me icon_rolleyes.gif Also saw George Huff (I think) from American Idol. He was on the plane with us back to New Orleans one time. I think dh wins for B-list celebs though-He met and talked with on several occaisions Mr. Robocop himself Peter Weller. He used to come in the shop where dh worked in the french quarter.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 3:02pm
post #10 of 39

I've helped out every year for the past 10 years at this college radio convention here, I started back in college. It's over a weekend and we usually have various guest speakers in the music, radio and television industries. A few years back we started "lifetime achievement awards" to those who've made a huge impact. Prince was the first recipient, he was invited but we didn't expect him to come. NPG online (he now sells his music online) was there but he did show up for the award ceremony. Guess who was chosen to present him with his award. icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif Talk about having a permasmile on for days and being a nervous wreck! But he was gracious and yes, very short. We were the same height and I'm 5'3" and he was wearing heels. LOL

Through the convention I've also met Stedman Graham (Mr.Winfrey) a couple of years ago - awesome, kind-hearted and wonderful man. That's probably the closest I will ever get Oprah. lol

Andre 3000, from Outkast, was fun too, especially since I'm a big fan.

OK, I've already written a book. Next.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 5:29pm
post #11 of 39

I shook hands with Michael Bloomberg this summer at a street festival. My mom shook Hilary's (Clinton) hand. I went to a taping of "the View" and sat next to the producer. I was five feet away from Barb and the girls. (The only genuine one is Joy). In person, and in my opinion, she was the only one not "acting it up". Heather Locklear was the guest. Boy, she is absolutely stunning. The screen does her little justice! I also met David Letterman and Kareem Abdul Jabar.

Also, my cousin is marrying the niece of Nick Gregory. I met him at the engagement party. And, when he was alive, Lorne Green lived right down the road from my summer home in Long Island. Paul McArtney bought property upstate New York and frequents my family's diner...(I haven't met him yet)

Being in NY...they have filmed countless numbers of movies in my neighborhood. Usually it's Law & Order or (was) NYPD Blue. My husband is a property manager and they pay his buildings to shoot there because they are so close to the Brooklyn Bridge.

Ok OK...I'm stopping now! Oh, wait...the best one of all....when I was a kid I went to a taping of "Kids are people too" and I kissed the guest....it was none other than MARK HAMILL!!!!

May the force be with you... icon_biggrin.gif

bookbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bookbabe Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 5:34pm
post #12 of 39

I guess mine would be the time I got to meet Billy Bob Thornton. He was in the area filming the Alamo movie and actually came to my daughter's high school show--another girl on the team had a cousin in the film so that's how he got invited. Anyway, he's actually shorter than I had thought. Nice man though--very quiet.

dodibug Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 5:44pm
post #13 of 39

They let Billy Bob Thornton near teeanage girls? icon_lol.gif Funny though, I find him attractive in the "he needs a shower and he might just be a bit of a perv but cute anyway" category...I think I have too much time on my hands this morning!

kmcguire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmcguire Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 5:51pm
post #14 of 39

At the Army Aviation Association of America convention in Nashville, TN back in 1977 I had the honor of meeting General Omar Bradley.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 7:02pm
post #15 of 39

I lived in Nashville my senior year in highschool, 1992. At the time, my mother's husband, a Juiliard (sp?) trained musician, was in his "country music phase"....lol. Anyway...he had played for a few of the popular singers at the time, like The Judds, Suzie Boggus (I know no one remembers her, lol) and some others, but then landed a job playing fiddle for Tammy Wynette full time. Every time they went on the road (even if it was just for a week or two), Tammy would have her band, the crew & then invite their families (wives, kids, etc) to the house the day they were to be loading the buses and have a catered meal, usually barbecue, and just let everyone hang out. It was really nice because sometimes they'd be gone for a month or more at a time...and she thought it was a way to help keep families feeling close since they were on the road so much. Lots of fun too! That was one very gracious, though tempermental, woman...lol. Then Tammy Wynette & Alan Jackson went on tour together. My mom & her husband and I got to have dinner with just Tammy & Alan on 2 different occasions....they were both very cool, laid back people. Alan Jackson is the tallest person I've ever met in my life!! lol I believe the term "bean-pole" was created for him...super tall, crazy skinny! lol

Met Lou Diamond Phillips (really handsome!) of the movie "Young Guns" in the airport in Nashville...he kissed me on my cheek!! lol Believe me, that was a BIG deal for a 17 yr old girl...lol icon_rolleyes.gif

Met Edwin McCain (musician...popular song was called "I'll Be", I think) at a club in Mobile called Monsoon's. Great guy with a really beautiful/nice girlfriend.

Jasmine Guy....played "Whitley" on that Cosby spinoff show, the one set at a college...can't think of the name of it right now. When I lived in Atlanta I managed the reception & retail part of a hair salon in Virginia Highlands that she & her mother came to from time to time.

Martha Stewart's brother...the one who was on the news shows talking about her when she was going through her little scandal. He and his family have a home here in the Fairhope area on Mobile Bay. My husband and I sat next to them at lunch one day and my DH is a chatter box. Started up a conversation with the man, clueless as to who he was!!! icon_eek.gif lol Long story short, we ended up with a landscaping job at their property by the time lunch was over! Of course, I kept my mouth shut until we were in our car and down the street from the restaurant - then I told DH just who it was he was chatting it up with & would be working for soon!! lol DH was floored...we did the job, the man was really happy with it, and now we manage his lawn on a monthly basis! HA! Never seen Martha there, though she has been there before. My DH has promised to call me if he's ever there & she & her entourage roll up...hehehehe icon_lol.gif

But the 2 I consider the "greatest"....

Dave Matthews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOt only do I think he's an incredibly, beyond belief talented musician...he's just simply a great person. Truly believes in helping others. And (other than DH, of course) he's one of the most beautiful men on the face of this earth!! JMO!! lol icon_razz.gif He actually has family in here Fairhope. I went to a party, and there he was! He & the party host are first cousins...of course, he played his guitar & sang...unbelievable night...never forget it.

Mohammed Ali - when in NYC with my Dad when I was 11....we ran into him & his entourage, literally icon_redface.gif in the hotel lobby!! I was a tall, lanky clutz back then...lol. He was very nice about it...put one arm around me & patted me on my arm and said "Don't be embarrased...I do that kind of thing all the time. It's ok, honey"!! lol I knew who he was, but my Dad was speechless for a moment...lol. We'll never forget it, either.

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 7:49pm
post #16 of 39

Too funny!

I met Muhammed Ali as well..but I was really young. He owned the apartments my mom and dad rented, and he was told ours was the most immaculate, well decorated one in the building. He came to see it and him and his wife ended up babysitting me while my mom went to the hospital to have my baby brother!!! My mom has pictures of me boxing with him at 3 years old..complete Shirley Temple look-alike!! icon_smile.gif

No one has ever believed that!!!

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 8:45pm
post #17 of 39

Graham Nash (Crosby, Stills & Nash), when he was with the Hollies. A lot of folks think my dh is Steve Martin's double - does that count?

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 12:54am
post #18 of 39

I'll play....
I kissed Adam Sandler ( He was doing a show at my college and he went to the bars later)
I gave Jim Caveisel's brother a ride home once!
I met Jordan Knight and DonnyWalberg from New Kids on the Block... I know you all are jealous icon_lol.gif I stayed at there hotel like a total groupie!

My favorite was getting to sing the National Anthem for the KC Royals and sing at Carnegie Hall in high school.
Good times!

Randa_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Randa_000 Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 4:48am
post #19 of 39

you guys have all these great stories and all I got is I met Tellie Savalis (sp?) when I was 10 at the LAX airport. He was Kojak I think.....I don't know for sure....but that's what my Dad told me....

Oh yea and I met Nsync when my daughter and I lived in Arkansas

cake4you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4you Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 5:06pm
post #20 of 39

I'll play.....I met Jeff Gordon (my all time fav nascar driver) at the Daytona 500 last year...I've convinced myself he won because I was there!!!

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 9:56pm
post #21 of 39

mommyedzards!!! i love the new kids on the block even to this day.

Randa I really like tellie savalis too

when i was 17, and that was not that long ago icon_wink.gif , i went to Disney world and Dom Delaweez was there signing autographs. he was cool.

then a few weeks ago we were in Academy and in walks Chuck Norris. Now that is a cool person. Very nice man.

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 4:35am
post #22 of 39

New Kids on the Block.... Have a Funky Funky Christmas!!! Ha Ha Ha!
You got to love them!

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 6:11am
post #23 of 39

I forgot that I have also met Ram Herrea, Groupo Vida, Albert Zamorta, and Carlos Mencia. Not sure if i spelled all the names right.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 6:35am
post #24 of 39

hmmmm...hmmmm...hmmmm......step by step, oohh
baby-y-y...gonna get to ya gir-rr-rr-rl......hmmm...hmmmm.....

HA!! icon_razz.gif I was on the NKOTB wagon too!! lol I don't know why, but that's the only song (& the only words of that song) that I remember!!! My friend Stacy & I were crazy about them....for about 5 minutes... icon_lol.gif Nice memories, but I have to say I'm glad that era of my life is behind me....lol icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

dodibug Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 2:49pm
post #25 of 39

I love Carlos Mencia. I got to see NKOTB for my grad nite at Disney World!!

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 8:05pm
post #26 of 39

I LOVE Carlos Mencia...me and my hubby watch him all the time. He's gotta be one of the funniest men alive!!! You're so lucky!

Randa_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Randa_000 Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 8:08pm
post #27 of 39

Mind of Mencia is my favorite show!!!!!

bookbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bookbabe Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 8:42pm
post #28 of 39

NKOTB?? oh boy--my daughter loved them for a while. Guess I'm too old for this topic........
icon_smile.gif

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 12:46am
post #29 of 39

People I have met:

Hillary Clinton (spent a day with her..not nice)
Bill Clinton...couldnt rate him, Hillary wouldnt let me get a word in edgewise. Did give me a cigar though. Tasted funny.
Drew Carey..nice..funny
James Van Der Beek... (Dawsons Creek) not nice..but then again, I wasnt nice to him either.
Dale Earnhardt Sr. not nice
Brooks and Dunn (all of em) nice guys
Andre Agassi not nice..too drunk
Jesse Helms..love that man!
Jimmy Carter...really liked him.
Chevy Chase...way nice.
Jesse Jackson...nice..to my face
Morgan Freeman...way way nice guy.
Bunches more..hard to keep up over the years. I REALLY REALLY want to meet Jennifer Tilley...way hot! Most women will disagree but...go ask your husbands!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 8:53pm
post #30 of 39

Okay, I'll play;

1. Jessie Jackson came to my college when he was running for President.

2. Manhattans, Kool and the Gang and Earth, Wind and Fire in concert together...boy that was a blast.

3. Have met alot of Wrestlers...use to go to Norfolk Scope every Thursday night back in the 70's when wrestling was good, clean, family fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%