Vinyl Or Disposable Bags?

Decorating By Lazy_Susan Updated 16 Dec 2005 , 7:05pm by llj68

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 20

I'm researching cake decorating before I go out and spend a bunch of money on supplies I don't need. As far as bags are concerned, is it better to buy vinyl or disposable? Any other informative information would also be greatly appreciated before I spend a lot of money to find out the hard way!! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks,
Susan

19 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 20

..it's really a matter of personal choice. I prefer the vinyl bags...I think you get a good grip on them and they are re-useable. I use the parchment bags when I just need a tiny amount of icing and don't want to mess up a clean vinyl bag. I think you will get lots of different opinions! It is rare that I use the plastic disposable ones..I have a box of them but they seem sooo slippery to hold onto!

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 20

I recently started taking courses ... just finished course 2 ... we started with the parchment paper triangles that you make into bags yourself. Which I don't like at all ... I use those when I'm using buttercream until I finish the supply that I have. The vinyl are probably o.k. for working with royal icing since the clean up is so much easier with this type of frosting. I believe that once you use those bags with buttercream you won't be able to use them on royal. I like the plastic disposable the best .. if I use them with royal icing I rinse them out and re-use them a couple of times.. messy buttercream gets thrown right out! the plastic disposable are a little more expensive but I waited until I had a michael's coupon and bought the 100 box for 40% discount ... anything that makes my life easier is worth the $$$

Lazy_Susan Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 20

Yeah I bought a starter kit that had a couple of tips and some disposable bags but I made such a mess!!! I pressed the adapter thingie in too far and I reckon I got a tiny hole in the plastic bag and started spewing green icing everywhere. Then I didn't know how to hold the bag after twisting it and the icing went back up and out of the bag. hmmmmm I think I am going to need a lot of help icon_smile.gif

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 20

I use them all. It really just depends on my mood. I started using plastic and seem to use vinyl more. But i do have to say that whenever I am using Royal Icing, I will only the plastic bags because I am sure that there is no grease in. Grease will cause royal icing to break down.

MontiBellesBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MontiBellesBakery Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 3:05pm
post #6 of 20

I use all three, depending on what I am doing. I use the parchment paper for smaller projects because refilling them is a pain. I also use them for very detailed work as I find I have more control because they fit in the palm of my hand.

I use the plastic bags for really thin icing, like when I am doing cookies with a thinned royal icing. I'm with MissMissy, they get slippery and hard to hold onto if you have to squeeze the icing out.

I love the vinyl bags, they are easy to hold on to and don't tear or break when you are using stiff icing. They also wash up pretty easy, especially if you use a grease cutting soap.

Bottom line is, find out which one you like better and go with that.

Lazy_Susan Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 20

Can vinyl bags be washed in the dishwasher?

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 20

I also use all three. I use the parchment triangles when I only need a small amount, but I don't really like using them. Putting them together is a pain. I like the vinyl for stiffer work and I like the disposables for my other icing, especially when I'm feeling lazy! icon_rolleyes.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanrcp

Can vinyl bags be washed in the dishwasher?

Yes!

Vinyl or Featherweight bags can be put in the dishwasher. They do cost more but are made to be used over and over. I've had students that tell me they liked them because they feel like they have a bit of texture on the outside. I've also had someone tell me she liked them because she felt like they her icing didn't get as soft working with it. If you have warm hands this may be something that will help you.

Plastic disposibles are made for one time use, though there are some people that will wash and re-use. They are cheaper, easy to use and you don't have to clean the bag. (My favorite part!) This can also be used to melt candy melts in the microwave.

Parchment are the cheapest you can buy, but you have to make them. They work really well for royal icing, and small amounts of icing.

As it was said earlier, it really is a matter of personal prefernce and I don't think that one is ultimatly better than the others, if that were the case you wouldn't have ones to pick from. Some people pick their favorite and use only that one. Many others use a combination of them for different uses, icings or such.

Your best bet is to try them all out and see which ones feel best to you. icon_smile.gif

peachstate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachstate Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 7:13pm
post #10 of 20

I use all three depending on what I am working on. I like vinyl when I am either using white or chocolate buttercream, because some of the color stain the bags. Disposable are nice too since you can throw them away and not worry about the clean up part. Parchment bags I seldom use, but I do use them with the royal and color flow icings.

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 7:23pm
post #11 of 20

Gimme Vinyl bags anyday. So much easier to deal with.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 7:33pm
post #12 of 20

I like the convenience of the disposables, but i've found that with buttercream they seem to transfer heat much more than the vinal ones, and the icing melts a lot quicker from the heat in my hands. I only use them now, when im in a hurry and wont have time to clean up, or when i need to use a lot of different colours and will be dirtying too many vinyl bags.
Nati thumbs_up.gif

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 9:14pm
post #13 of 20

I used only disposables plastic bags until just a couple weeks ago. Now I like the featherweight--I think they're easier on the hands. I also like that they are reusable, so I don't have to always wonder if I have enough on hand to finish a project. I just bought some parchment bags to try again, now that I have a feel for what I'm doing. They're so darn cheap, I know I'll use them for at least small amounts of icing.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 8:11pm
post #14 of 20

I, too, use all 3 but most often choose the disposables. I use my coupons for Michael's to by the 100 pkgs. and they wind up being very cheap.

I like the nice tight fit I get with couplers on the disposables. My featherweights are fine for awhile, but when used frequently they tend to stretch at the opening and then it's hard to get a good seal with the coupler ring--sometimes that means leaking and that can be a disaster!

I wash out my disposables icon_lol.gif and reuse them at least twice. If I need better grip or have to keep a certain type of icing cooler, I just drop the whole plastic bag with coupler, tip, and icing into one of my old, stretched out featherweights, having cut the tip hole a bit larger.

Happy decorating!
Rae

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 8:36pm
post #15 of 20

Ok..I didn't see anyone else mention anything like this, so ya'll are probably going to think I'm a weirdo...lol icon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gif But this is what my experience has been:

The vinly makes my hands sweat! lol Don't know why, but they do. Then the bag keeps slipping down while I'm holding it. While I love the easy clean-up aspect and the fact that they're a good weight, etc, I can't stand the slipping part of it. Soooo...I had to search for other options. The plastic disposable ones - I can't get a good grip on and can sometimes be a pain to have to keep twisting the top to keep it closed as tightly as possible...seems to loosen as I'm piping.

This is what I've done: I buy the canvas bags that are coated with some sort of thin vinyl (I think) coating on the inside....but I don't like having to wash them out every time. You can put them in the dishwasher, though, but you have to take them out before the drying cycle, otherwise it dries out the coating on the inside and the top edges of the bag will start to curl a little bit. So what I've come up with is this: I take a plastic disposable bags the same size as my canvas ones, cut the tip off (at the same place that I've cut the canvas ones)...then place the plastic one in the canvas bag, add coupler & tip, fill with frosting and pipe away! This gives me a bag that I can have a good grip on (the canvas is great for that!), the top doesn't come untwisted easily, and the clean-up is minimal on the canvas bag....usually just a little at the tip of the bag where the coupler, etc goes...and maybe a little at the top from filling the bag w/frosting. When I'm done piping, I just lift out the disposable bag and toss it!! Then soak my canvas bag in the sink w/my tips for a little bit & rinse it. Sounds like a lot to do...but it's really not. Your canvas bag is already cut at the tip & you have to trim the tip of the disposable bag anyway...only one extra step: putting the disposable inside the canvas bag! This method is really working for me! icon_smile.gif

bakingupastorm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingupastorm Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 4:12pm
post #16 of 20

I like the vinyl bags myself. They come in all different sizes which is good because I use the icer tip, which I had to sacrifice a bag just for that one tip because it is so large. I was using the disposables but they weren't large enough for me not to mention the icer tip. It seemed like by the time I cut off the tip of it for the icer tip there wasn't any bag left! LOL! I also had problems with the disposable busting at the seams. thumbsdown.gif I still keep disposables on hand for those lazy moments! thumbs_up.gif

bakingupastorm

"A true friend stabs you in the front."

JennT: Your idea is great, I think I'm gonna give it a try! thumbs_up.gif

lightofapollo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lightofapollo Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 4:57pm
post #17 of 20

I typically use featherweight. I use parchment for small amounts (too cheap for plastic, too lazy to wash). I refuse to use disposable plastic with stiff icing - too many busting out at the seams.

Lazy_Susan Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 4:59pm
post #18 of 20

Is featherweight the same as vinyl?

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 5:12pm
post #19 of 20

I too have used all three and the disposable are my favorites. I have used the Wilton disposables and they are okay but they are not as strong as others. My local supply store sells disposables individually and I have gotten some from there that are thicker plastic, are cloudy (not clear like the Wilton), and feel a little rubbery on the outside so you get great grip. Unfortunately, since they are sold in singles, I don't know who makes them and I have never thought to ask. I am think they might be KeeSeal bags because those are supposed to be strong and have the rubbery feel on the outside. I ordered the free sample kit of bags from KeeSeal to see what they are like. They are supposed to be more sanitary too. I will let you know what they are like when I get them. They are a bit more than the Wilton but if they work good I will pay extra for the quality.
Heather

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 7:05pm
post #20 of 20

I've always been a Featherweight bag gal myself. HOWEVER, after reading this thread, I might just try JennT's suggestion.

I have never liked how the disposables felt in my hand. I tend to have hot hands and they always felt like they were slipping.

I am also a fan of parchment. Of course, when I first learned to decorate, all they HAD was parchment. LOL!! I remember as a kid when I finally figured out how to make a bag from it--I was SO proud of myself! lol!

Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%