Orange Creamsicle Cake

Baking By MistyC Updated 25 Dec 2015 , 11:58pm by CindiM

MistyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MistyC Posted 12 Aug 2004 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all,

I'm new here and have enjoyed reading and exploring the site.

I am making a wedding cake for my husbands wedding on August 21st.
It's going to be a three tier cake 10,8,and 6 inch two layer tiers. I was going to do a 4inch top layer for thier anniversary but the wedding is to be outside so getting it frozen won't be possible. I will just do a cake for them when the time comes.

I was wondering if any of you wonderful bakers have any ideas to make an Orange Creamsicle cake that can be served outside and doesn't have to be kept cool. I am covering the cake in fondant.

The only idea I can think of is to make one layer orange cake and one layer vanilla cake. I'm just not sure of what to fill the cake with.

Also I wanted to do different flavors for the other tiers but not flavors that will totally clash. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Misty

8 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 12 Aug 2004 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 9

Misty I dont know why you could not use orange juice in place of some of the water.. I would make a test run cake to see what amount of orange you want it to taste like I would also use a Vanilla White Cake mix .. Hope this helps..

You can also add a box or orange jello to your water and mix and add to the cake mix... I would try them before to make sure you like the taste before you just make the cakes..

Zabrip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zabrip Posted 12 Aug 2004 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyC

I am making a wedding cake for my husbands wedding on August 21st.

Husbands wedding? Wouldnt that be your wedding also? Do you really want to make your own wedding cake, you'll have alot going on that day..>!

MistyC Posted 12 Aug 2004 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 9

Oppps. I mean my husband's uncle! We will be married six years in October!

MistyC Posted 12 Aug 2004 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 9

LadyCake thank you for the suggestions about the jello and the orange juice. I'll try that tonight. I'm making a test cake without the fondant for my in-laws who are coming home from vacation today.

Any suggestions about filling?

Misty icon_lol.gif

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 12 Aug 2004 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 9

How about mandrean oranges.. But there again that could be a lot of orange... you may just want to put buttercream frosting in the middle.. and call it good...

CarolKnoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolKnoll Posted 13 Aug 2004 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 9

I was thinking maybe just buttercream or a twinkie-like filling. Or I wonder if candy flavorings would work in icing. If they do, you could maybe flavor the buttercream with a hint of orange flavoring. Not sure if this helps but thought I'd post just in case.

Here's a link for twinkie filling and cake: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1284-1-Twinkie-Cake.html

HTH,

Carol

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 13 Aug 2004 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyC

Hi all,
Also I wanted to do different flavors for the other tiers but not flavors that will totally clash. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Misty

I think this recipe is what you are looking for:
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1611-Orange-Creamsicle-Cake-and-Frosting.html

The recipe calls for the Orange Duncan hines cake, however I think White cake, or Vanilla cake would taste great as additional layers without clashing.
Additionaly you could garnish the cake with well-drained mandarin oranages or some curled orange peel.

Please let us know how it turned out!

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 25 Dec 2015 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 9

Misty, i use Lorann orange bakery emulsion and orange jello, in a yellow cake batter for my dream sickle cupcakes and my customers love it.  I use white bettercream as filling.  Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%