Flavoring Buttercream?

Decorating By jlh Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 5:27am by cakesalone

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 7:29am
post #1 of 4

I'm doing a strawberry cake tomorrow. I'm thinking about flavoring the buttercream. Do you recommend just adding drops of strawberry extract? Is there such a thing? I haven't looked yet in the store for it. Anyone had good luck with strawberry buttercream?

3 replies
VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 8:33am
post #2 of 4

Yes, there is such a thing as strawberry extract. In fact, on the McCormick website, it mentions adding 1 1/2-2 tsp of the extract to vanilla frosting to make strawberry frosting. I have not personally used the strawberry, but I did add lemon extract to buttercream once and it was quite tasty!

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 4

You can use practically any flavoring in buttercream to enhance your cake flavors. The amounts depend on the strength of the flavoring. Lorann's is highly concentrated so you only use afew drops, where some other brands such as McCormick, you use about the same amounts as you would vanilla, or butter flavor.

Wilma

cakesalone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesalone Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 5:27am
post #4 of 4

I used strawberry extract in my buttercream to make my daughter's B-Day cake this year and to enhance the fresh strawberries I had put between the layers. It helps to add flavor. But be mindful that the pink color of the extract tints your buttercream pink. For my cake, this was definitely an advantage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%