Wonder Mold Vs. "free Hand" Carved Doll Cake, What

Decorating By sliceofheaven Updated 3 Mar 2007 , 1:51am by wells123

sliceofheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sliceofheaven Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all. Question, I have an order for a doll cake & don't have that wilton wonder mold. Can I just make a BUNDT cake and trim it to a smaller (more dress like) opening/shape? or will it not be "tall enough"? how tall is that wonder mold anyway? or maybe a layer cake (9" round) trimmed? or just buying that pan..it's not a big deal to purchase it..just more for the bottom line if I don't thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif Any other suggestions, advice would be great too! TIA

6 replies
HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 7

I know on DecoPac's website they show using two 8" layers and a 6" layer and then just rounding them off. It makes a very nice looking doll cake. You can see what they look like on their website, www.decopac.com.
HTH,
HeatherMari

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 7

It's so strange to see this post here today of all days... I have a carved doll cake to do for tomorrow.

I don't have a mold, nor any chance of buying one. So I baked in three round pans in decreasing sizes. Just finished torting, filling, stacking, dowelling. Now they are in the refrigerator, waiting to be carved tomorrow.

I used a full doll, not a pick, which creates a problem... Barbie's legs are just toooooo long! If I had used a pick, I could have got away with a much smaller cake. But then, some kids are frightened, when they cut their cake and see that their doll has no body!

I hope it looks Ok, once it's done tomorrow.
Karen

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 7

If you're using a full doll you have to be careful with the wondermold too, make an 8" round to put under it or it won't be tall enough and your doll will look like she has stumpy legs.

If it isn't a big deal to get the wondermold I'd say get it, there's lots of things you can do with it and it saves you time carving everytime you want the shape. The old Wilton yearbooks are full of the things you can do with it.

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 7

I make my doll cakes form 2 things. 1 is the pampered chef large batter bowl. or my kitchen aid bowl. if you bake in the kitchen aid bowl you need to lower the temp for a longer time. if you use a whole barbie dol make sure you wrap her legs in plastic wrap.

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 7

I used a pambered chef batter bowl placed on top of a layer cake ( i think a 6" cant remember) as the wondermold is really pretty small-

wells123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wells123 Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 1:51am
post #7 of 7

When you use the Pampered Chef batter bowl, you actually bake two, then trim one down to just the bottom 2 inches of the base (after leveling it). I actually have the wondermold pan, but a PC consultant asked me to use the batterbowl for a cake for her. It seems to me the wondermold pan is a lot easier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%