Decorating With Store Bought Frosting?

Decorating By NicoleRad Updated 22 Feb 2007 , 2:40am by Naty

NicoleRad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NicoleRad Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 5:11am
post #1 of 10

My sister wants me to use the frosting from the store since she doesn't like any of the icings make, Do you guys know what it's like to decorate with? Can you add anything to it to make it thicker or thinner?

9 replies
nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 5:16am
post #2 of 10

Well, I've seen the cakes at stores and I'm not sure if their icings vary in consistency or if they just use one, but the roses on the cakes (Costco) usually are droopy and have sort-of a "melted" look to them. And they are always refrigerated, so my guess would be work fast and efficiently- the icing is thin!

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 5:22am
post #3 of 10

Are talking about duncan hines/betty crocker frostings, or the stuff at their bakery?

NicoleRad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NicoleRad Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 6:04am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbeeBaker

Are talking about duncan hines/betty crocker frostings, or the stuff at their bakery?

The duncan hines/ betty crocker stuff, prepacked in those little cans.

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 6:18am
post #5 of 10

You can ice a cake with them, but I don't think you can decorate with them. The Wilton canned icing works for decorating though.

Spoiled1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spoiled1 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 10

Hi,
You can ice with them easy enough, but as for trying the smoothing methods on them,I have found it doesn't work. So if you are really good at smoothing without the Viva method (or any other method using tools other than your spatula) you are good to go. I haven't tried the flowers with it, but imagine it isn't stiff enough for that either.
Also I have found a new flavor (well new to us here, not sure how "new" any where else) but it if your picky about taste as my family is, it gets thumbs up with them thumbs_up.gif It is by Betty Crocker and flavor is Whipped Whip Cream. It is lighter and fluffy and not so heavy as the normal vanillas or white frostings.
HTH
icon_biggrin.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 10

sigh. personally I would tell my sister to like it or lump it. and use the frostings I usually use.

what recipe do you use? have you tried flavor oils?

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 6:41pm
post #8 of 10

I have used the pillsbury canned and added powered sugar to stiffen it up a bit to decorate with floweres/shells/ etc.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 10

Make sure you mix well before you cover your cake if you use it. I stayed away from the whipped too mushy.

HTH

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 2:40am
post #10 of 10

The few times I have used it (because I've been in a hurry), I have used the cream cheese frosting from DH (actually the only one I use....I find all the other flavors too sweet). I did add a little extra conf. sugar to thicken it. I refrigerated the cake so it would crust a little then used the hot spatula method, did not smooth out like the "real" BC, but it was good enough at the time. I also did a minimal shell border.

To me, it is quick to make the BC that I just do it. I do Wilton's 1/2 butter, 1/2 crisco recipe. I think the cream cheese from DH taste good and almost homemade.

Naty

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%