Colettes Chocolate Ornaments

Decorating By adven68 Updated 5 Dec 2005 , 1:11pm by dishguyswife

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 10

Hi kids....I made a couple of chocolate ornaments like colette's and they came out great. I used semisweet chips that I melted in the microwave and then piped onto a half-round mold. After it cooled, I popped them off....eventually I attached the halves with a little more chocolate. Then I tried a box and I used a juice box holder as my mold. I covered it with saran wrap and it worked great.

After about 15 minutes, they were stored on top of the fridge and I saw they collapsed. The chocolate, which had hardened in the freezer was now very soft. What might I have done wrong? I'd love to attempt these again cause they are gorgeous but I don't know too much about chocolate!

Help chocolate experts!!!!

9 replies
carilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carilyn Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 12:15am
post #2 of 10

Sorry your ornaments melted. Isn't the top of the fridge warm?

Cakemaster26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemaster26 Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 12:15am
post #3 of 10

You needed to temper your chocolate. heat chocolate (leave some out) then once melted, place the other unmelted chocolate to bring down the temp. you might check at baking 911 website for more detailed info. to check if the chocolate is tempered dip a dull knife into chocolate and if it hardens within a few seconds than it is tempered.

hope this helps and you can understand me.

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 12:21am
post #4 of 10

Another tip to the one just mentioned is to put a little bit of chocolate on the divot (sp?) above your lip. If it feels too warm, then it is, if it feels just right, then it's tempered. I can't remember where I picked that one up however it seems to work....

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 10

Hey, an added bonus, you'll have to lick it off after the test. I like that idea.

TickledPink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickledPink Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 10

You can skip tempering your chocolate if you buy the chocolate that is made specifically for candy making/molds. You can buy Wilton's chocolate in the candy aisle at most craft stores.

I'm actually going to make the chocolate balls myself but closer to Christmas and I can't wait. I'm very excited.

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 10

also, don't put into the freezer, a few minutes in the fridge will do.

When chocolate goes into the freezer when it defrosts, it develops all kind of condensation!

If you are using real chocolate you need to temper it. If you are using candy melts, MERKINS brand is the best!!

I have chocolate tempering instructions if you need them! Let me know and I can post a new thread on the HOW TO if I didn't already.

Everyone should try to temper chocolate ...just once..lol

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 10

My first thought is that the top of the frigerator is warm but I don't know if that would be enough heat to actually melt your chocolate. Hope you are taking pics...would love to see your creations!!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks guys....

Diva....I have your directions...thanks...I printed them out a long time ago. I guess I didn't realize that it needs to be done. Like I said, I don't know much about chocolate, except how to eat it.

OK....my second try.....I'll post the photos if they come out

dishguyswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dishguyswife Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 1:11pm
post #10 of 10

I definitely use Merkins for all my chocolate needs, it's one of those wonderful tips my Gramma gave me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%