Any Suggestions On Making A Webpage????

Business By jamiecakes Updated 6 Mar 2007 , 7:40pm by sugarnut

jamiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiecakes Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 17

I am going to be starting my own business (cupcakes) and I was wondering who everyone uses to make there webpages? I am new to creating a webpage so any help would be great.

Cheers,
Jamie icon_smile.gif

16 replies
onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 17

go to http://www.godaddy.com see if teh name you'd like is available

buy it its about $8.95

go to surpasshosting.com click on Shared Hosting on the right side

for $60 a year they will host your website and you can design from there or hire someone.

i know of two people who design web pages, if interested, please pm me.

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 17

We just started ours up with godaddy.com last week. Was pretty painless & a lot cheaper than other sites. Good luck. icon_smile.gif

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 17

Freewebs.com is who I use and they have been great - you can also pay fees and get add-ons to your site - I think I need to splurge for a custom name soon!

jelligirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelligirl Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 17

cakecre8tor, i have a question about the freewebs site...once you try to set it up, how do you get rid of all the advertising that pops up at the top of the site? does it disappear once you pay for a server?

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 17

free sites usually have the ads on ..if you get paid webserver there are no ads

www.surpasshosting.com click on shared hosting on right you get a whole year for $60

some places charge up to $15 a month

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 17

I've not heard of anyone on here using Yahoo webhosting, which is what I use. It was easy for me, and a year ago I couldn't even upload pictures to my computer, and I created a 3 page site.
They have templates that make it easy breezy too. It's 12.00 a month for me, which includes a contact form that emails me when someone fills out the form. I get contacted that way at least twice a week now for weddings.
However, my husband will be redoing my site for me in the next couple of weeks once he finishes his agency's website. A lot of CC'ers sites have given me great inspiration to look a lot more fun, professional, and userfriendly.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:38pm
post #8 of 17

Register.com $4.95 a month for 5 pages. Mine was up and running in under 2 hours and I know NOTHING about websites. I eventually got an upgrade for $15 a month for 20 pages so I could add more pics.

However.....

My 14 year old has shown me how to set up a site on Flickr.com (a website for photos) where I can put almost unlimited photos. I now have a link in my cake website that takes people to the Flickr site to see more photos. She's working on getting me a My Space site where we can do the same thing. So with these 2 sites linked to my cake site, it's possible I could work with just 5 pages if I wanted.

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:41pm
post #9 of 17

I used Hyper Street. I think you just need to check them all out and go from there.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 2:36pm
post #10 of 17

I used a yahoo geocities free page for a while last year for a fundraising thing I was doing ... I never saw an ad on the page.

the website would be;

www.geocities.com/whateveryouwant

ndngal66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ndngal66 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 6:11am
post #11 of 17

I have been using Yahoo WebHosting for years and it has to be the best for ease of use and it has some amazing features that no one else offers (unless you pay them a small fortune). I have been running my Non-Profit through them and I get thousands of hits daily and I have never had a problem yet. I would be more than glad to help you set up a site, and give tutorials on how to use it and the addons.

You can check out my sites at www.SupportASoldier.org and www.WorksofArtCakes.com

Have a SWEET day!

Vavette

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:21pm
post #12 of 17

For freewebs, you have to upgrade to one of their premiums to remove the ads.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 10:05pm
post #13 of 17

I use Homestead. $4.99 per month and no ads.

sugarnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarnut Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 11:14pm
post #14 of 17

I use 1and1.com. My domain only costs $6 a year, and they give you tons of space and email for not much more.
I took my website classes online at night after the kids were in bed, and I do the site myself. I have found web design places online that you can get flash pages for about $60 and then you customize them, but I'm too cheap icon_biggrin.gif Many places cost a lot more. I know on 1and1 you can pay extra and use their site builder which helps you build your pages.

good luck!

countrysidecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrysidecakes Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:38pm
post #15 of 17

I use http://www.hostfor2bucks.com/, costs around $25/year and I designed my own site using namowebeditor, costs around $100 at office depot, this program is very easy to use it is like word, you can put as many pages on your site as you want, and they have great customer service. This is the cheapest and the best that I have found. My BIL designs websites and he suggests it. He has had so many problems with godaddy.com's customer service. He is also an excellent designer, not advertising for him, but if you need a good designer then send me a private message and I will send you his contact info.

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:54pm
post #16 of 17

I spluged for a name at Godaddy.com...I paid $70 for ten years (I think)....however I found that for freewebs to use the name I had to pay!! That really ticked me off icon_mad.gif but what is a girl to do. I paid for a year but I might switch hosts next year if I can find a cheeper one. I like freewebs because it is really easy to use...but I am all about a deal! Looks like some folks here have better deals! icon_smile.gif

sugarnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarnut Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 7:40pm
post #17 of 17

www.1and1.com is awesome. Your domain is only $6 a year, like I said. They give you your domain, plus up to 100 subdomains for free plus a bunch of email address, webhosting including CGI for forms and everything for as low as $3 a month. You get a rediculous amount of space, and more and I NEVER have trouble with them. They've been great!icon_biggrin.gif

They were recommended to me by my husband the computer geek who never has time to work on MY site. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%