Are You Baking Gifts This Year?

Decorating By mudpie Updated 14 Dec 2005 , 2:05pm by Misdawn

mudpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mudpie Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 60

what do YOU plan to make? The standard cookies, candy or something different? I am doing an assortment of goodies, but just for a few special people. How about you? And who gets your yummy home baked goodies?

59 replies
cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 60

I am only giving baked goods for Christmas this year. I think this is much more personal. I plan to bake quite a few different cookies and breads and make candy. I'm going to try and make some of their favorite things, like pumpkin fudge and lemon poppyseed cookies.

Cindy

Randa_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Randa_000 Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 60

Lemon Poppyseed...mmm sounds good

cindy6250 Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 60

Very good and very easy..I will pm recipe if you want....Oh, and lest I forget, of course I will be giving away lots of Cake Balls!!!

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 60

Cindy... can I get on your gift list this year? I only live just up the road... icon_lol.gif

cindy6250 Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 60

I'm not worry!!! But sure...Your decorating skills put me to shame, but I can bake a MEAN cookie!!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 12:04am
post #7 of 60

I'm doing candy, cookies and that kind of basic stuff. Everyone looks forward to thier favorites and it has become a holiday tradition here. As far as who gets the stuff. The people that work with my husband will all get boxed chocolates. the family will get an assortment of thier favorites. If i have enough stuff left then the people i work will all get a sample of the leftovers.

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 3:14am
post #8 of 60

I'm going to make a herd of these chocolate reindeer cookies because they are so cute! I will probably also make some chocolate truffles because they are so easy and they last for ages without going stale.
LL

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 3:23am
post #9 of 60

Most deifinitely! I make up Chrsitmas bags of cookies..half dozen of 5 different kinds and half dozen PB balls. I make one for each of my DH employees and all the local businesses that we deal with in the area, and of course for family and friends. Totals about 2000 cookies!!

beany Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 3:36am
post #10 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

Totals about 2000 cookies!!

Oh my. I feel sorry for your oven. hehe.

2000 cookies?! You are so generous!

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 3:41am
post #11 of 60

I usually only do baked goodies. I think this year, I'm going to include cake balls. I haven't made them before but they sound so good and so easy! I also do miniature bite-sized pies. Last year they were star-shaped and had cherry filling. Also, biscotti, assorted dipped pretzel rods, and Cranberry Bliss from Starbucks.

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 60

I traditionally make cookie trays for selected friends and neighbors, with about 6 - 8 different kinds of cookies. This year, I'm just not into the whole baking thing for some reason, I'm thinking I'll do truffles instead. Just to keep it intersting for me. Not to mention that personally, I would prefer truffles to cookies any day of the week! Plus I'll still have to do some cookies anyway--the kids will insist upon it!

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 6:16pm
post #13 of 60

beany, do you mind sharing the recipe/procedure for the reindeer cookies? They are adorable!

I'm going to try to do the star cookie Christmas trees this year I think. I have the nesting star cookie cutters from Wilton and I think it'll work...wish me luck! I'm just doing the family, but still, I don't want to waste my time if they don't work!

I'm also going to make some potpourri pies for the family too icon_smile.gif (They're not edible, but they look and smell good!)

Kelly

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 7:46pm
post #14 of 60

i am making baskets and soup mugs for the people on my Christmas list this year. They include their choices of: triple chocolate fantasy fudge, chocolate covered pretzel sticks, white chocolate peppermint bark, cake truffles, coffee spoons, chocolate peppermint Oreos and Nilla wafers, and mini loaves of banana nut or holiday bread.

erinlynn22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinlynn22 Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 7:50pm
post #15 of 60

I'm going to be making 8-10 different cookies for my aunts, uncles and close friends. i coudn't think of anything to get anyone and i hate impersonal gifts. Each plate of cookies will come with a jar of Glugg (yummy swedish drink). Some friends are just getting Glugg and pepparkarkor cookies

SherisEdibleDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SherisEdibleDesigns Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 2:48pm
post #16 of 60

Anyone have a great recipe for eggnog fudge? I have one from Southern Living magazine but it seems to have too much other than eggnog in it. I'm also doing cookies and candies as gifts. I want to try this fudge but would prefer a recipe that someone swears by. Best wishes and Happy Holidays ladies!

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 3:09pm
post #17 of 60

Since Hubby and I are both foodies, our food baskets are a joint effort. He does the savory stuff, and I do the sweets. DH will be making home-cured and smoked canadian bacon, a smoked salmon spread, sourdough bread, and maybe some venison jerky. I will add some cookies, mini banana bread loaves, mini bundt chocolate cakes, chocolate dipped pretzel sticks, and some homemade chai mix. We only do 6 or 7 baskets, but we sure have fun with 'em! icon_smile.gif I think it would be fun to get one of those 'make-your-own rootbeer' kits and include a bottle of home made rootbeer too, but we'll have to see if there's enough time and room in the basket.

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 3:15pm
post #18 of 60

I'm making gift baskets for my sister, brother and my dh sister's families. I am including choc. covered pretzels, choc. covered spoons, coffee, hot choc., molded choc., homemade salsa, tortilla chips and much more. I just can't figure out what to buy for everyone this year. I found some nice plain white mugs at Wal-Mart for 48 cents each so I'm including them in there, too.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 3:18pm
post #19 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by beany

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

Totals about 2000 cookies!!

Oh my. I feel sorry for your oven. hehe.

2000 cookies?! You are so generous!

LOL..they make great gifts and I'd rather be in my kitchen then shopping anyday of the week! I just hate to shop! icon_lol.gif

beany Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 9:52am
post #20 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyh57

beany, do you mind sharing the recipe/procedure for the reindeer cookies? They are adorable!
Kelly

No problem! Here is the link to the cookies. It's a "Better Homes and Gardens" recipe:

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/recipe/recipedetail.jhtml?recipeId=36978

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 5:45pm
post #21 of 60

Thanks! I think I'm going to make that with my son sometime icon_smile.gif He's only 3, but it looks like it'll be fun to do together and he can hand it out to his friends.

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 5:57pm
post #22 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by beany

I will probably also make some chocolate truffles because they are so easy and they last for ages without going stale.

Could I please have the truffle recipe? [email protected] you

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 6:03pm
post #23 of 60

Hey SAD---here is a website with a TON of recipes including a TON of fudge recipes. There are 2 eggnog ones but I haven't made those. Maybe you can look at them and see which ones you may like!
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/candyfudge/candyfudge.html

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 6:20pm
post #24 of 60

I am thinking about making up some baskets for my aunts & uncles this year. The goodies I am making include:
-Magical Mint Kiss Cookies
-Candy Cane Twists
-Grandma's Shortbread
-Candy Bar Biscotti

I'd also like try making some fudge, just the plain maple fudge, or vanilla, something like that, but I've never been successful at it.

I'll also put a jar of hot chocolate or soup mix in the baskets too.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 6:30pm
post #25 of 60

Melissa---try some of the recipes on the site I just posted above your post. They have several recipes that are very easy. I usually try to avoid the ones using a candy thermometer, that's where I always go wrong!
Their recipe for Bailey's Fudge is AWESOME!

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 6:51pm
post #26 of 60

Yes, I will be in the kitchen too. I have already started and made 4or 5 different cookies so far also pb balls and dark chocolate and white chocolate peppermint bark. Today I am working on chocolate covered cherries. I use these treats for my instructors at the local sewing center, DH takes a tray to work and so does my son. I found a recipe for Mocha Coffee Mix that I thought I might add to the baskets.

cindy6250 Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 6:54pm
post #27 of 60

kaecakes,

Would you share your chocolate covered cherry recipe???

TIA
Cindy

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 7:23pm
post #28 of 60

I am with Mrs. Missey in amounts! Now my sister bakes cookies too, so that is a help, she has taken to making the peanut butter cookies and the oatmeal ones . But we do up cookies for her sister-in-law who has MS and ship them to Toronto, we send some cookies to Alberta, some to the U.S., we do up cookies for a cousin here who also has MS. I do up batches for my two girls, their favourites. And I make cookies for a few people that are on their own and some for co-workers of my hubby. And this year I am doing mini loaves as the centrepiece gifts, probably banana cranberry and banana chocolate chip. I do up 12-16 dozen cookies of one type at a time.
Usually:
Creamcheese Pinwheels
Chocolate Chip - two kinds because I like the butter ones and my one daughter likes the ones made with shortening.
Oatmeal Raisin
Peanut Butter
Ginger Cookies
Gingerbread Rollouts
Shortbreads
Sugar Cookie Rollouts
Thumbprints
Candy Cane Cookies
Almond Cookies
Vanilla Spritz
Chocolate Spritz
Cookies on a Stick
Pizza Cookies
Then I pick a couple of new ones to try and if we like them, they get added to next year's list.
Rocky Road Fudge
Three dozen mincemeat tarts
apple tarts
cherry tarts
lemon meringue tarts
pumpkin loaves
mincemeat loaves
banana cranberry loaves
carrot loaves
3 or 4 dozen muffins and freeze them, they are always handy Christmas morning when people want something to nibble on.
Usually a special holiday type of cake if I have time
I can pretty well fill our large chest freezer at Christmas time.

cindy6250 Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 7:26pm
post #29 of 60

SquirrellyCakes,

Wow!!! I thought I was doing a lot. You are one busy baker!!!!

Cindy

charleydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleydog Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 7:28pm
post #30 of 60

Squirrelly, since your shipping to T.O. anyways.... can I be on oyour list? I hate baking!!! I do it anyways I just don't enjoy it, just the decorating part.....

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%