Fondant Taste

Decorating By merlinsmustang Updated 3 Dec 2005 , 1:10am by MariaLovesCakes

merlinsmustang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merlinsmustang Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 6

So many cakes use fondant now. It has such a smooth nice finished look to it. My problem with it is that is doesn't taste very good. Does anyone have any tips or special recipes to make it taste better? I haven't used it very much simply for this reason. Please help!

5 replies
aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 6

Marshmallow fondant tastes much better than wiltons that is for sure..

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 6

ANYTHING tastes better than Wiltons! LOL

Really, try some other brands... I love the Mill Lane brand from www.creativecutters.com ... their white is a bit sweet (but not nearly as sweet as MMF) and their chocolate tastes like an upscale tootsie roll (YUMMY!)

Many here use SatinIce and are quite happy with it, though I found it to be a bit "spongy" compared to the Mill Lane... just my opinion though!

You can make your own fondant or MMF, they take about the same amount of work & time, and the fondant is actually very slightly cheaper to make from scratch!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 12:04am
post #4 of 6

Satin Ice has my vote! I think it has a silky smooth refined taste. If I just want to mold something or make embellishments, I will use the MMF because it is a lot less expensive. The MMF is a little too sweet in my opinion.

merlinsmustang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merlinsmustang Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 12:12am
post #5 of 6

What is MMF? And does anyone have any good recipes for fondant? I do prefer to make my own.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 1:10am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinsmustang

What is MMF? And does anyone have any good recipes for fondant? I do prefer to make my own.

Its Marshmallow fondant. There is a recipe listed here under "Recipes."

I like MMF plus regular fondant when I add almond extract to it. To me it makes a huge difference in taste.

I think some people are more turned off about the pasty texture than the taste itself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%