My Hands Are Soo Sore!

Baking By sgirvan Updated 3 Dec 2005 , 5:14am by SquirrellyCakes

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 5:47am
post #1 of 14

I have 2 orders due this weekend and had to start doing the images for them. One order is 3 dozen christmas cookies and the other is a 60th b-day cookie bouquet with 2 dozen cookies. Because I am no good at free handing ANYTHING I usually do royal icing images. This way I can do very nice cookies of anything I want. HOWEVER it takes a long time since they are so detailed and my hand is so sore now after 6 hours of making images. I have to make them 2 days ahead of the cookies to give them time to dry. I have attached some of the christmas ones I did, I will post pictures of the cookies once they are finished on Sunday.
LL
LL
LL

13 replies
llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 5:50am
post #2 of 14

Those look so good!

Randa_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Randa_000 Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 6:43am
post #3 of 14

they are very cute! nice work!

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 10:37am
post #4 of 14

They'll love them. They are all so cute. Nice job.

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 10:48am
post #5 of 14

Those are ABSOLUTELY wonderful!! WOW. Did you trace each pattern first. Do you place those on round cookies? I mean, these are REALLY nice.

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 11:21am
post #6 of 14

Great work! Really nice!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 1:18pm
post #7 of 14

THose are great. How do you place them on the cookies?

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 1:23pm
post #8 of 14

They are great...aren't you worried about them breaking??

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 3:44pm
post #9 of 14

Hi Guys, thanks for the comments and questions.

I always make a couple extra but honestly I don't usually have any breakage. Like any technique, pratice makes perfect to find out what works. I found there are a few tricks, one is to make sure you do them on a hard surface that will not bend - I use cake boards. Second I do a good sized boarder so that I can use a good amount to fill in with and make sure that when you fill in, you use a toothpick and get into the small spots and right to the edges. Now make sure you let them dry for 24-48hrs, longer is better. Most royal icing breaks when either too thin or more often not dried properly thumbsdown.gif I put these on all shapes of cookies, usually either gingerbread or the no-fail sugar cookies. I'll post pictures of the finished cookies when I am done this weekend.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 4:06pm
post #10 of 14

They look great thumbs_up.gif Can't wait to see the finished cookies!

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 4:09pm
post #11 of 14

Great Idea, I usually do this with gingerbread houses. I do all the ornamentation first...like the wreaths, candles , poinsettias and such...then when I put the house together..all I have to do is add the candies..

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 4:13pm
post #12 of 14

Great job!!! I can't wait to see the finished cookies.

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 4:34pm
post #13 of 14

Nice job ! Can't wait to see the finished cookies. My favorite is the reindeers.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 5:14am
post #14 of 14

icon_surprised.gifthumbs_up.gif Those are simply adorable and perfect kiddo, I love them, what a marvelous job you did! Hhmn, is the doggie to scare the cat away, haha, maybe I should try that!
Gosh, you do perfect work!
Hugs Squirrelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%