I Have Satin Ice. How Do I Use It? Any Tips?

Decorating By bulldog Updated 5 Dec 2005 , 5:02am by BlakesCakes

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 5

Just bought my first tub of Satin Ice. I have heard good things about it on CC, but before I used it wanted to see if there is anything special or helpful I should know. Any tips would be appreciated, Thanks.

4 replies
sdfgarcia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdfgarcia Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 5

Well, first off, it's yummy! Or at least much less yucky than Wilton.

I found that you'll need to dust your surfaces (rolling pin and countertop) with powdered sugar or cornstarch. Satin Ice is stickier than Wilton.

It will dry out pretty easily, so try to pull off only as much as you need, then seal the leftovers back in the ziptop bag in the plastic tub. It will keep for months as long as it's sealed.

If it does dry out, put a tiny bit of shortening on your hands, then knead it into the fondant. That will help bring it back.

Good luck, and have fun with it!

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 3:52am
post #3 of 5

I've never had to knead shortening into it, but you will need to knead it quite a bit before you roll it out. As you're kneading it, keep going until it's completely smooth and not cracking anymore. If you don't knead it enough, it will crack as it stretches even slightly on the cake.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 5

Wow, that's weird...I have found that Satin Ice needs no dusting at all, as my tub was not at all sticky. In fact, when I dusted my workspace and pin for the first time I worked with it, it made it too dry!

On the other hand, Wilton fondant has always required quite a bit of dusting (or crisco).

Ali hit the nail on the head about taking the time to knead Satin Ice. icon_smile.gif Learned that lesson too. LOL

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 5:02am
post #5 of 5

I roll my Satin Ice on a piece of vinyl from Wal-Mart. I rub the slightest bit of Crisco on my hands, rolling pin, and the vinyl.

If I have any problem with it--or with any fondant, for that matter--it's that when trying to get a dark color I need to add powdered sugar to decrease the stickiness. This leads to a drier result, but I don't really see any good solution to this--unless I break down and purchase some of the pre-made colors. I start with white unless I need brown or black, and then I begin with the chocolate Satin Ice.

The flavor is still superior to Wilton and I think it is more workable than MMF for large projects--especially if you need to roll it thick.

Have fun!
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%