Fondant Question

Decorating By mochaboi Updated 6 Apr 2005 , 5:37am by sweeterbug1977

mochaboi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mochaboi Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 1:05am
post #1 of 8

Last night, I attempted and, I'd say, succeeded at my first fondant covering. I will post pictures shortly. Now, I used the Wiltons Fondant in a box. I had read prior to this attempt, that Wiltons Fondant had a very unpleasing taste, so I pinched a piece off, and wow you guys weren't lyin'! tapedshut.gif

I really want to work more with the fondant, it was really fun! icon_smile.gif What I want to know is, does the homemade fondant have a better taste than that? I mean, I know I can buy flavoring oils, which I plan to do, but I would not want to mix another flavor with the flavor of Wiltons Fondant..

Does anyone know if there has been any word on them changing the flavor? LOL[/i]

7 replies
cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 1:15am
post #2 of 8

I use mmf when I make fondant myself. I have not personally made it, but there are many that say Daisy's Fondant recipe is really good. It is on the ladycakes.com recipie section. I am not sure if it is on this bored.

p106_peppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
p106_peppy Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 12:36am
post #3 of 8

I've been making my own home made fondant mostly because I'm too cheap to buy the wilton stuff, but it is true that the wilton fondant tastes terrible.

the recipie I use is as follows:

3cups sugar
1 cup water
1tablespoon glycerine
1pakage unflavoured gelatin
desired flavoring

cook to soft ball stage, pour out onto a marble slab or shallow pan greased with 2 tablespoons white fat, allow to cool just enough so that you don't burn your hands when touching it. but while it's cooling, try to have it remain apsoloutly still, vibrations can cause crystalization. then scrape it inward untill it starts to harden, then knead it for a long time. I put it in my bread machene and set it to knead because I'm lazy. you may have to add more water, or powdered sugar. I roll it out between two plastic sheets just because it's a bit more tender than bought fondant.

I think what gives it the bad taste is the substances, such a gelatin and glycerine that give it the stretchyness. mind you, this fondant still is quite plesant compared to the wilton kind.

if you don'y need it to stretch, then I omit the gellatin and teh glycerin. The result is smooth and creamy and fudge-like. it doesn't cover cakes well though, the sides will have wrinkles in them, and it tears rather easily. but boy is it good eating. I was home over spring break, and I made a mint-chocolate cake, and I made this fondant and flavored it mint. The left over fondant from teh cake was eaten like candy, not only does it taste better than wilton fondant, but the texture is nice for eating too.

But if you want to shy away from fondant all together, over easter I made a lamb cake and instead of fondant, I covered teh face and legs with white chocolate, then with the leftovers I made roses.

I melted 1 lbs of chocolate and 1/2 a cup of corn syrip over a double boiler and mixed them together. the result is chocolate that is soft and streatchy. the chocolate did get a bit of a chewy texture, but it still tasted like chocolate.

Anyway, this is probibly full of typos and gramatical errors, but I'm too lazy to look it over. so if I left anything important out, just ask.

Edit: forgot to add, that you shoudl add a touch of white corn syrip to help prevent crystalization

missyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyb Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 10:28am
post #4 of 8

Congrats on trying out fondant. Actually today I also tried my very first attemp with using it, and even made my own mmf (marshmellow) using a recipe from this site. I am so proud of myself, even though its not all that pretty to look at. I would love to see your cake. I had so much fun making it, even though i made a huge sticky mess on my counter top. The cake turned out ok, and the mmf tastes pretty good. Have you ever eaten one of those orange sorta foamy marshmellow "Circus Peanuts"? If so that is what the stuff tastes like. The recipe is really easy too. It was posted by prettytoya in case you are interested. I used gel colors instead of paste, and it worked well, although you have to add a little more powdered sugar as you go to keep it from getting sticky. Good luck, and have fun!!!
I heard the Wilton stuff is gross too, but i would probably use it if i were in a hurry. icon_biggrin.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 10:54am
post #5 of 8

Thank you so much...that's the kind of peanut flavor ya'll mean! I could not imagine anything made from sugar, etc., tasting like circus peanuts...Duh icon_wink.gif

This website and this forum are fantastic, just keep reading and no telling what we will learn. icon_biggrin.gif Janice aka veejaytx

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 8

p106_peppy, I wouldn't say you're lazy at all... making fondant sounds like a lot of work to me!

Where would I find glycerin?

Your post was very informative, Thanks!

Melissaicon_smile.gif

p106_peppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
p106_peppy Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 8

it's not really complicated, I'd rather make it than have to drive across town to buy it. I got my glycerin at "bulk barn" which I think is a canadain chain, but you can probibly get it at any cake decorationg store or where they sell wilton stuff.

sweeterbug1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeterbug1977 Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 5:37am
post #8 of 8

I get my glycerin at either Michaels or my cake supply store. I have also added white chocolate to my fondant recipe..just to make it taste a little different than usual. It does require that you work it a little more when you add the white chocolate to it though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%