Who Carries Extra Liability Insurance

Business By CakemanOH Updated 30 Nov 2005 , 3:46am by CakemanOH

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 3:10am
post #1 of 7

for their at home sole propriortorship? How much do you carry??

6 replies
sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 3:16am
post #2 of 7

good question. I've been wondering this myself.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 7

I have some - but it's for my non-cake related business (I'm an educational therapist). Sorry, I guess that won't help you, will it?

tanyap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyap Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 7

talk to an insurance agent...in Texas you can purchase general business insurance with an umbrella insurance as well as liability insurance...each has a different purpose and generally the umbrella insurance is the "catch-all" layer of insurance to cover any claims that exceed your basic covered limits as well as anything you may not have specifically covered.

I'm not a lawyer or insurance agent so can't help you much more...I just know a little from having set up insurance policies for our own (non-food related) business.

tanyap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyap Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 7

I forgot to add that an insurance agent will be able to advise you on adequate coverage based on your volume of business (usually gross revenues)...also they'll give you free quotes and each insurance co. varies greatly on their coverage premiums so shop around....even if you picked one for your auto insurance because they were the cheapest, they won't necessarily be the cheapest for small/home-based business insurance.

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 7

One thing, are you licensed for business as well as the health department to work out of your home? If not, you will not be able to get insurance to cover goods that you sell.

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 30 Nov 2005 , 3:46am
post #7 of 7

In Ohio you do not have to be licensed to operate a cake only business. It is called a Cottage kitchen. The restrictions are you cannot sell things that need refridgerated like cheesecakes or you then have to get inspected for your home kitchen. So given this I can operate a cottage kitchen without inspection and as a sole priortorship. So the only outstanding question is insurance. So I wanted to see what other home cake bakers do or handle insurance or if you are even worried about a lawsuit????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%