Creative Jucies Not Flowing!

Decorating By cakenbake Updated 19 Mar 2007 , 5:22am by cheftracy

cakenbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenbake Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 5:37am
post #1 of 7

A friend has asked me to make a cake for their annual "Soul Food Cruise". I am happy to do it but I can't think of anything to get started. I asked what he had in mind and he said "whatever you want will be great. I trust you." No pressure or anything. Please any ideas would be GREAT!!

6 replies
Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 5:39am
post #2 of 7

What about a cake that actually looks like it has those food dishes on top of it?

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 5:45am
post #3 of 7

maybe a faux plate of food? chicken, collard greens, macaroni and cheese. basket of cornbread? might be time consuming, but your cakes look great! I'ms ure you could do it!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 5:52am
post #4 of 7

As far as flavors, I know from experience that coconut cake is a big hit on a soul food table, as well as almost any flavor of cobbler, but especially peach.

You might do the faux soul food cake as an edible centerpiece, with some smaller cakes in different flavors, surrounding it. I would do the faux soul food in caramels, chocolate clay, colored Tootsie Rolls (can be purchased at Party City) and Froot by the Foot - the green and yellow kind, to enhance the greens and fondant. (see my cheeseburger cake, all done in FBTF and colored Tootsie Rolls).

Did your friends say how many people you will be serving dessert to? I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cakenbake Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 3:58am
post #5 of 7

Well, I have thought of making some soul food out of fondant ect. but I really don't have much experiance with molding. Thanks for the complement about my cakes but it really is beginners luck. What you see is all I have done with fondant. I have some time. The cruise isn't until March. Actually 3 cakes, one a basket of cornbread, two a bowl of mac& cheese, and three a chicken. except fried chicken would be better. Any ideas on how to make chicken pieces? This is alot to try with my lack of experiance but I want to make it special. My friend is off island right now with his wife for surgery. Her breast cancer returned. My prayer is that they will be back in time for the cruise TOGETHER! Thanks for all your suggestions!!

cakenbake Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 4:44am
post #6 of 7

cakes are done! Thank you guys for all your ideas!! My friend loved his cakes. I chickend out trying the chicken ha ha. I did watermelon instead. I don't know how to post photos here but I did put them in my pic's if you want to look. Thanks again for the ideas! Oh by the way my friends wife did not make it for the cruise but she is doing well he is going to send her pictures.

cheftracy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftracy Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 5:22am
post #7 of 7

Wow, awesome job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%