Anyone From Seattle,wa?

Business By Arenita Updated 10 Mar 2006 , 10:17pm by Mylene

Arenita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arenita Posted 28 Nov 2005 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 19

Hello!

I am ready to start my cake-decorating business here in the Seattle area.

I would appreciate any information regarding licenses.

Thank you all!

Arenita

18 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 19

I cant help you here, but I know there are people on here from Washington.....Jackie from one....but I dont think she does a cake business....

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 3:04am
post #3 of 19

I'm in seattle, but I don't have any info yet. Let me know if you find anything out though ok? Good luck!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 19

I'm in the South end of Seattle, Pierce County. You have to have a separate kitchen in your home to have a home based business.

rochelle0123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rochelle0123 Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 19

I'll be moving to Gig Harbor this summer (currently we live in CA but please don't hate me for that).

I had done some research on starting a cake business in WA (Pierce County). I started with wanting to do it out of my home but you can't in WA (in OR you can). I had contacted the Health Department up there and they were really helpful, you may start there. I'd be interested in knowing what you find out. Once we get up there I plan to turn the online business I currently have into a store front in Gig Harbor, and this will of course include wedding cakes icon_biggrin.gif

Do you plan to open in Seattle or a suburb?

ladyonzlake Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 19

Looks like Arenita is from Marysville which is north of Everett...not too far from the Canadian border. I live on Lake Tapps by Bonney Lake & Auburn and was just over in Gig Harbor to buy my daughter a car. I love it over there! It's just beautiful but I can't complain much as I live on the lake with a view of Mt Raineer. Gig Harbor would be perfect for a cake shop. It's very popular in the summer due to boating season. We are also into boating and it's a cute fun town especially for a boating destination. I attended a wedding and reception for a friends daughter there a couple years ago. They had the wedding on his 50' sail boat and brought the boat over from Tacoma, moored it at Gig harbor just outside the restaurant where the reception was. I'm just starting to let people know that I'm selling cakes from home. Yes, you do have to have a separate kitchen in Washington so my thought is to build up my clientel and lease a kitchen. I'm in a gated community on the lake, with a golf course and club house with a restaurant. My thought as to approach them and lease their kitchen which would be wonderful because it's so close to home. Ideally I would love to hook up with a partner and open a bakery in Bonney Lake which is a fast growing area much similiar to Puyallup. Oh...I know we give Californians a bad rapp here but I don't hate them...besides my sister lives in Sacramento icon_biggrin.gif
Jacqui

rochelle0123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rochelle0123 Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 12:54am
post #7 of 19

We looked at homes in Bonney Lake! The Quadrant Homes I believe last year. Aren't they suppose to be developed a downtown with a "Main Street" type area? That would probably make a great spot for a cake/dessert shop.

We met a lot of people up in WA and OR from CA so I'm guessing it's getting better. My family told us to make sure we get our license plates changed before we move though. I thought Gig Harbor would be a nice area for a cake shop, right on Harborview Drive or something.

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 1:03am
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochelle0123

My family told us to make sure we get our license plates changed before we move though.

Too Funny!! My hubby told me the same thing. I'm from GA and he's from WA. We met in Southern California and lived there for 4 years before moving up here to Vancouver, WA. He also told me that if anyone asked if we recycled to just tell them yes! LOL I was like "Huh?" icon_confused.gif Sure OK.

Lazy_Susan

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 1:18am
post #9 of 19

Well I am new to all of this cake stuff....but I have done one wedding cake so far!!! I live in Enumclaw...if anyone knows where that is! Dont know much about the business part of it...but its fun!!!
icon_wink.gif
Wendy

Mslou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mslou Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 1:23am
post #10 of 19

I am from Lewis County. I rent space in a small bakery here. I usually go after they are done for the day. The regulations for opening any food business in this state are brutal. Go to www.accesswa.gov it should take you to alot of info. Good Luck
Mslou

ladyonzlake Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 3:46pm
post #11 of 19

Wendy, you're not too far from me. My neice did a horse competition out there not too long ago and at one time we almost bought a house out there. We're also at the Muckleshoot for 4th of July fireworks every year as well.
Jacqui

sarahleecookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahleecookies Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 11:28pm
post #12 of 19

I am attempting to start my own business in cake decorating as well, I also live in Seattle. I love decorating and do a nice job but it would be nice to have a bit more confidence ( or experience) before jumping into this professionally. I have been doing friends and family, word of mouth stuff for wedding s and baby showers, birthdays etc... Im finding it really hard to find anywhere local to get more training or experience. As for now Im doing everything from Wilton classes and personal drive! I would love it if anyone had any ideas for further experience locally...? Is everyone here self taught or been through school? Thanks for your time!!!

ladyonzlake Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 12:20am
post #13 of 19

Yes, more classes would be nice. I took all 3 wilton classes and our instructor may be putting together a class on fondant since we were so interested in more classes. I haven't heard from her though. I took the classes at Michaels in Puyallup.
I would love to take more classes on sugar flowers and more extensive buttercream decorating like swags, flowers, ect. The wilton classes were good but went by pretty fast.
Jacqui

sarahleecookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahleecookies Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 1:24am
post #14 of 19

As far as the wilton classes go I have done all the cake related ones, I just feel like I could learn so much more...After seeing all these incredible cake sout there I know there has to be something more than that available....You know, like tricks of the trade and little secrets that cut time not quality. I would love to have some lessons one on one with some local decorators...any one have any ideas???

KitchenGoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenGoddess Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 9:20pm
post #15 of 19

Hi all,

I am in Seattle too. I work from a caterer's kitchen in my neighborhood, and so far all of my business has been word of mouth. Nice to know there are other Washingtonians here!

ladyonzlake Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 9:34pm
post #16 of 19

Kitchengoddess, do you rent by the month, week, or as needed? I'm thinking about renting a kitchen from a business and I'm trying to get some ideas as to how to work the deal.
Jacqui

KitchenGoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenGoddess Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 9:50pm
post #17 of 19

Hi Jacqui,

I currently rent by the hour from an extremely accomodating caterer. I pay $10 per hour and I usually buy "blocks" of time from her (ex. 10 hours). Once my business builds I will switch over to a flat fee per month, and at this time she would charge $500 unlimited hours.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to email me privately if you want to discuss further: [email protected]

Susan

mrsrunning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsrunning Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 10:02pm
post #18 of 19

I don't know anything about starting a cake deco business here in WA, Just wanted to say we really need one here in Bremerton

Mylene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mylene Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 10:17pm
post #19 of 19

Hello Washingtonians!
I'm in Renton and took 3 wilton classes at Joann.
I've been doing cakes for friends and family and sometimes from word of mouth.

Nice to here from you ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%