Steps To Pulled And Blown Sugar Work

Sugar Work By SugarCreations Updated 20 Aug 2011 , 3:02pm by myfoodid

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 27 Nov 2005 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 9

There are some steps you need to go through before attempting sugar work of any kind.

1). Check the equipment list in this forum make sure you have or can get everything on it.

2). Next get your recipe. Does not have to be one that I have posted either.

When you prepare to do this. Look around your kitchen or where ever you plan to practice or work. Make sure you can have everything within arms reach. Have a bowl or sink full of water always handy. Cools the fingers and reduces the size of the blisters sometimes.

Sugar Work, just has in cake decorating requires planning before you begin.

AND ALWAYS, ALWAYS, REMEMBER THAT THIS STUFF IS HOT AND CAN CAUSE SEVERE BURNS! WATCH THE KIDS AND THE PETS! ALWAYS BE AWARE OF WHO OR WHAT IS AROUND WHEN HANDLING HOT SUGAR!

Not preaching at anyone. I just do not want anyone to get seriously burned or a child or pet to get burned badly. Just thinking about your safety and the safety of your children and pets.

Have fun with it. But be smart about it also.

8 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 12:01am
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarCreations

Not preaching at anyone. I just do not want anyone to get seriously burned or a child or pet to get burned badly. Just thinking about your safety and the safety of your children and pets.

Have fun with it. But be smart about it also.

I couldn't have said it better.....I don't do any of this, but know plenty of people who do and all have a scar of some type and 2 have pets with scares and no hair where the sugar landed!

SugarCreations Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 9

Yeah, I don't think everyone realizes just how dangerous hot sugar can be. There agian, I don't want anyone getting hurt.

Nilu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nilu Posted 9 Jan 2006 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 9

Hello sugar creations

i just wanted to clear my doubt is there any other method to measure temperature of sugar apart from candy thermometer and cold water testing, i last time tried pulling sugar without candy thermometer as candy thermometer is not availiable in my area.

Thanks

bye

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 9 Jan 2006 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 9

I watched the Pastry Challenge/ Sugar Art (whatever!) on Food Network lastnight. I really think I need to go back to college for an art degree! I just don't get how they can come up with that stuff!

Any of you ever done blown sugar bubbles? I want the clear look of sugar instead of balls of fondant. Although, I could just use the luster dust on the fondant balls, right?

SugarCreations Posted 9 Jan 2006 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 9

Hi Nilu
Yeah you could boil it until it just reaches caramel stage a light brown then you will know its ready. Sugar begins to caramelize at 320, granulated sugar that is. It will be hard to keep it clear without a candy thermometer. How come they are not available in your area? As far as the sugar bubble question check the forum there are about 1/2 million posts on those things.

Nilu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nilu Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 4:33am
post #7 of 9

Thanks mam

SugarCreations Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 10:26am
post #8 of 9

He.Not mam. And you are welcome glad to have helped.

myfoodid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myfoodid Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilu

Hello sugar creations

i just wanted to clear my doubt is there any other method to measure temperature of sugar apart from candy thermometer and cold water testing, i last time tried pulling sugar without candy thermometer as candy thermometer is not availiable in my area.

Thanks

bye

Hi nilu I am from mumbai as well- you can buy Candy thermometer from : Industrial Plastic Co-ompany, 022-66926011/ 022-26614106. you can also purchase an air brushing gun from here, if you are a professional- their website address is http://www.2929.in/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%