Let's Do A Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange?

Baking By texastwinkie Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 3:34pm by 7yyrt

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 9:33pm
post #61 of 223

My Late Mother-inlaw's Ginger Cookies
Double it or you will be sorry, haha!
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. (that is right tablespoon) of ground ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup butter, softened or hard margarine, softened - like Parkay squares, not the soft tub kind
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
Extra sugar in a shallow container, to roll cookie balls in
Stir first 5 ingredients together and sift twice - set aside. Beat butter or margarine until softened, add the cup of sugar beating until well mixed. Add egg and mix. Add molasses and sifted dry ingredients and mix until combined. Shape into rounded tsp. and roll into balls. Place several balls in the shallow dish with the extra sugar and gently use a rolling motion to coat with sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and press slightly with the bottom of a glass or a fork. Bake at 350F in a pre-heated oven for 8-12 minutes. I like chewy cookies, so I bake around the minimum time. Remove from oven and let set for a few minutes before removing to a cooling rack. Makes about 4 dozen cookies. icon_biggrin.gif
These freeze very well. To freeze, I line a cookie tin with waxed pper and place waxed paper or plastic wrap between each layer, plastic wrap on top, close lid and seal tin in a plastic bag or two - the grocery store bags work well for this. Alternatively, I bag them into freezer bags, like the extra large Ziploc bags, label them as to type and amount. They will freeze for up to 6 months and longer.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 10:38pm
post #62 of 223

Whew! I was getting a little panicky, I've been watching this thread since it was only 2 pages long. I've been looking for my favorite Christmas cookie recipe since then too, and I finally found it!

Chocolate Crinkles

1/2 CUP VEGETABLE OIL
4 SQ. UNSWEETENED CHOCOLATE (4 OZ.), MELTED
2 CUPS GRANULATED SUGAR
4 EGGS
2 TSP. VANILLA
2 CUPS ALL-PURPOSE FLOWER
2 TSP. BAKING POWDER
1/2 TSP SALT
1 CUP CONFECTIONERS' SUGAR

Mix oil, chocolate, and granulated sugar. Blend in one egg at a time until well mixed. Add vanilla. Measure flour by dipping method or by sifting. Stir flour, baking powder, and salt into oil mixture. Chill several hours or overnight. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Drop teaspoonfuls of dough into confectioners' sugar. Roll in sugar; shape into balls. Place 2" apart on greased baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until almost no imprint remains when touched lightly in center. Makes 6 dozen cookies.

I just love these!!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 10:44pm
post #63 of 223

These two are really good.

This one may not sound good to some but I have people say that until they tried them. Now they are requesting these.

White Chocolate and Cranberry Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon brandy
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup chopped dried cranberries*

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and brandy. Combine the flour and baking soda; stir into the sugar mixture. Mix in the white chocolate chips and cranberries. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. For best results, take them out while they are still doughy. Allow cookies to cool for 1 minute on the cookie sheets before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

*** Dried cranberries soak in hot water for 10 minutes and then chop.

Makes 24 servings

If you LOVE chocolate then you need to make these.

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

INGREDIENTS: makes 48 servings
  1 cup butter, softened
  1 1/2 cups white sugar
  2 eggs
  2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  2 cups all-purpose flour
  2/3 cup cocoa powder
  3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  1/4 teaspoon salt
  2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

INGREDIENTS: makes 96 servings
  2 cups butter, softened
  3 cups white sugar
  4 eggs
  1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  4 cups all-purpose flour
  1-1/3 cups cocoa powder
  1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  1/2 teaspoon salt
  4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
1)  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2)  In large bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; stir into the butter mixture until well blended. Mix in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

3)  Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or just until set. Cool slightly on the cookie sheets before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 3:11pm
post #64 of 223

This year, when I did my pb blossoms, I ran out of regular kisses and used the new pb - filled kisses for the cookies. Wow! They were so good! The melt more than the reg. kisses but the nice thing is is that they stay soft. The regular kisses harden back up. Try it! You'll love it!

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 3:30pm
post #65 of 223

Squirrelly your gingerbread cookie recipe looks almost like mine. icon_smile.gif Cutting back on the molasses REALLY makes the cookies so much better. I think the first recipe I tried asked for a cup of molasses. Gag!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 3:41pm
post #66 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblezmom

Squirrelly your gingerbread cookie recipe looks almost like mine. icon_smile.gif Cutting back on the molasses REALLY makes the cookies so much better. I think the first recipe I tried asked for a cup of molasses. Gag!

Haha, I am not a big molasses fan either. You can tell the recipes that go back to the World Wars by the amount of molasses in them because sugar was such a luxury, molasses were used. My hubby loves the taste of molasses, will even dip toast in it but that is part of his French Canadian heritage. But not me, so this recipe is fine with me.
I love this recipe for ginger cookies and everyone that has tried it tells me that they should have been warned to make a double batch.
Hugs Squirrelly

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 8:00pm
post #67 of 223

I made the Oreo Truffles this week..... OOOOHHHHH SOOOOOO GOOOOD!! I took some to work with me so that I could give them away and not eat every last one and had people asking me "how much?" I was thinking of dipping them in mint chocolate next time!

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 8:03pm
post #68 of 223

Did you dip the oreos in chocolate or almond bark? I love oreos, but dipped ones sound like they'd need a big glass of milk to go with them. I'm sure my neices would love them.

VACakelady Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 8:06pm
post #69 of 223

I used chocolate then drizzled them with a little white chocolate to make them look nice. People couldn't believe that I made them, they said that they look like something from a store. You do need milk even after only one of these, they are VERY rich! Just one satisfied my sweet tooth, and that is saying a lot. I crave sugar all the time.

kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 10 Dec 2005 , 1:35pm
post #70 of 223

These are my most favorite cookie ever. My mother started making them when I was young. I can't have a Christmas without them now.

CARAMEL TOFFEE SQUARES

Bottom Layer:
1/2 cup plus 2 tsp butter
1/4 cup sugar
1- 1/4 cup flour

Crumble first three ingredients well. Pack into ungreased 9x9 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Middle Layer:

1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp corn syrup
1/2 cup condensed milk

Combine butter, sugar, syrup and milk in saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Beat and pour over bottom layer.

Top Layer:
1 pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips

Melt over low heat and pour over middle layer.

Hope you enjoy
Krista

editited to add : this recipe makes 36 squares. Also if you line your pan (sides and all) with parchment or tin foil it is easier to cut them.

cakelady1994 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady1994 Posted 10 Dec 2005 , 6:05pm
post #71 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACakelady

I made the Oreo Truffles this week..... OOOOHHHHH SOOOOOO GOOOOD!! I took some to work with me so that I could give them away and not eat every last one and had people asking me "how much?" I was thinking of dipping them in mint chocolate next time!

do you have a recipe for these or did you just dipthe oreos ? sound good i would like to make some .

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 10 Dec 2005 , 6:20pm
post #72 of 223

Go to page 2 of this thread and scroll down about half way and you will find the recipe for the truffles. They sound really easy to make.

VACakelady Posted 10 Dec 2005 , 6:48pm
post #73 of 223

They are very simple and well worth it. My sister loved them and when I told her how easy they were she couldn't believe it. Have the milk ready when you eat them!

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 10 Dec 2005 , 7:35pm
post #74 of 223

This is a recipe I got from the back of the bag of Hershey's Mint Kisses, a couple years ago. They are SO good! They are a new family favorite for us.
Melissa icon_smile.gif

Magical Mint Kiss Cookies
1 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup HERSHEY®'S Cocoa or HERSHEY®'S Dutch Processed Cocoa
48 HERSHEY®'S KISSES® Mint Chocolates, unwrapped
powdered sugar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in large bowl until creamy. Stir together flour and cocoa; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended. Mold scant tablespoon dough around each chocolate piece, covering completely. Shape into balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. cool about 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. Roll in Powdered sugar. Roll in sugar again just before serving, if desired.

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 10 Dec 2005 , 8:20pm
post #75 of 223

mjones17.....
too funny, I get told the same thing.... I better make them or else!!!!!

texastwinkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastwinkie Posted 10 Dec 2005 , 9:09pm
post #76 of 223

I have now tried the Pecan Pie Cookie Recipe and the Cinnamon Cream Cheese Pinwheels. They are both great recipes and passed the taste test from the male members of my family icon_smile.gif. I made a cinnamon roll type glaze of powder sugar, vanilla, butter and milk and drizzled over the cinnamon pinwheels while they were still warm and changed the name to Cinnamon Roll Cookies. I plan on printing all of these recipes and adding them to my collection and hope to give each one a try. Thanks to everyone for sharing their favs.

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 6:48pm
post #77 of 223

I made the Oreo Truffles this weekend too. I got rave reviews. They are really simple and sooooo yummy! Everyone was telling me I need to go into business making cakes, cookies and candy. I was like, "Well, Duh! What do you think my dream is?!"

Kelly

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 12:56am
post #78 of 223

Kelly is the recipe of the oreo truffle on this site??

AShiana

texastwinkie Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 1:21am
post #79 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashianadotkom

Kelly is the recipe of the oreo truffle on this site??

AShiana

It's on page 2 of this thread but I went ahead and submitted it to recipes . I put it under cookies though it probably needs to be under candy. Just didn't see a category for candy.

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 5:47am
post #80 of 223

Thank you Texastwinkie, I somehow missed that!

AShiana

Bettye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettye Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 11:02pm
post #81 of 223

OK, these sound strange but they are just great. I got this recipe from my Mother-n-Law and now they are a Holiday tradition. After getting this recipe I have found may variations of this recipe floating around. I normally pack them in tins and give away as gifts during the holidays. The mixture of sweet toffee with the salty crackers is so good! I'd recommend using a really good chocolate.

Because I have some family members that are allergic to pecans, I have used toasted hazelnuts and they just loved them. Don't expect them to "break" along the shapes of the crackers. They break into various shapes, but still look very nice. Since I have made these many times I normally use a 9x13 pan. One more thing I have tried this with 1 cup milk chocolate chips and 1 cup semisweet chips but the recipe listed below was what was passed down from my Mother-n-Law.

Enjoy icon_smile.gif

Saltine Toffee Cookies

INGREDIENTS:
* 4 ounces saltine crackers
* 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
* 1 cup dark brown sugar
* 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
* 3/4 cup chopped pecans or your favorite nuts

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).

** Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or non stick aluminum foil and then place the saltine crackers in single layer over the parchment paper or foil.

** In a saucepan combine the sugar and the butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Immediately pour over saltines and spread them to cover the crackers completely.

** Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Let sit for 5 minutes. Spread melted chocolate and top with chopped nuts. Cool completely and break into pieces.

PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 11:38pm
post #82 of 223

Bettye, I make this all the time! No one can believe it's saltines on the bottom. They're so good and so easy!

texastwinkie Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 1:31am
post #83 of 223

Bettye, I've had them before and they are great! I'm glad you posted this recipe because I never got a copy of it. Thanks

Bettye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettye Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 6:02am
post #84 of 223

After reading this thread I decided to make a batch for my husband to take to work and they are still good as I remember. I will start this weekend making them and other goodies for family and friends for holiday gifts. If you have never tried them you have to give them a try thumbs_up.gif .

Bettye

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 6:25am
post #85 of 223

Bettye recipe

Quote:
Quote:

Saltine Toffee Cookies

I have used this same recipe for about 10 years, except I use graham crackers and we call the praline cookies. I use sliced almonds as the nuts.

monkey_brownie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkey_brownie Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 6:29am
post #86 of 223

Moms Pan Dulce ( sweet bread) recipie.

INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon or one package dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup lukewarm water
3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
4 eggs, beaten and at room temperature

PREPARATION:
1. Mix 1 tablespoon of sugar and yeast into lukewarm water. Let it rest for about 10 minutes.

2. In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Slowly add in eggs, salt, and the yeast in the water.

3. Add flour in, 1 cup at a time until incorporated. Cover with a towel and let it rise of 45 minutes in a warm place.

4. Take dough and divide into 15 pieces and shape in to balls. Place on a baking sheet with room for it to rise, about 2 or 3 inches away, press lightly to fatten a little bit and let the dough rise for 1 hour.

5. With your hands, divide the topping (below) into 15 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and roll it out on a floured surface until it is large enough to cover each piece of dough, about 5 inches long. Lightly press topping onto dough and use a knife to cut a patern into the topping, but not into the bread!! It will taste and look funny if you do.

6. You can do something likes lines across the top or make little Christmas tree figures; but if you chose not to make a pattern the bread will make one for its self wich is very interesting. icon_biggrin.gif
Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until bread is lightly golden. Take out of the oven and sprinkle sugar or cinnamon!! Very good with Hot cocoa

TOPPING:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup flour
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
You can add food coloring also.

1. Cream all ingredients together.

This is a very good bread recipie, its very popular in my family for the holydays...

this forum is the best, I love all you gys recipies they sound so good!!

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 8:13am
post #87 of 223

This is a ecipe I got from Woman's Day a few years ago. I finally made them today and they are really good.

Spice-Cookie Snowmen

3 sticks of sunsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp each allspice and cloves
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups all purpose flour

Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl on low till fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla,spices and salt.
On low sped, beat in flour until just blended.

Gather dough together and shape and divide in thirds. Shape each into a 1 inch thick disk and wrap separately. Chill 1 hr or till firm.

Heat oven to 375. I rolled between parment to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into snowman shapes and bake for 8-10 mins. until edges and bottoms are just browned. Cool on pan for 2 minutes and transfer to cooling rack to completely cool.

Decorate with royal icing or with icing of choice.

These cookies have a wonderful flavor and my house smells so good. These are a great alternative to regular sugar cookies. They are like a spiced shortbread cookie.

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 11:31am
post #88 of 223

Very fast and easy...

Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar (can substitute Splenda)
1 Egg

Mix well. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 mins. Cool in pan 1 min. then place on cooling racks to cool.

A friend of mine gave this recipe to me several years ago. Then, I saw Paula Deen make them using Splenda. They disappear fast.

Really good for people on the low carb diets, when Splenda is used.

VACakelady Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 11:37am
post #89 of 223

Hmm, I wonder if I only eat these flourless peanut butter cookies, will I lose weight? Like she says, it's low carb! LOL

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 11:47am
post #90 of 223

LOL...depends on how many you eat, I guess. But, on Atkins, they are legal. Peanut Butter does have some carbs so they're not carb-less. And, they do contain alot of fat and calories.

I have lost 90 pounds in the past year and this recipe is one I used to satisfy my cookie cravings!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%