Let's Do A Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange?

Baking By texastwinkie Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 3:34pm by 7yyrt

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 28 Nov 2005 , 9:12am
post #31 of 223

Great idea, I used to do a cookie exchange at my old job, when I left there I started one with a group of friends we have been doing it for five years, we each make three itemns with a dozen of each for each person in exchange and half a dozen for tasters, any combination of squares and cookies. We get together at a different house each year to do the exchange, munch on tasters and have a few drinks it is a fabulous time and gives each of us enough fo the season. The last couple of years we have also added a appetizer exchange to the list in which we do two appetizers, these are so handy to pull out on Christmas eve and through the holiday.

I always change what I bring except for the following cookie which my friends insist I make each year !!!

Christmas Cowboy Cookies

1 cup Brown Sugar
1 cup Shortening or Margarine
½ tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
1 cup White Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 Eggs (well beaten)
2 cups Flour
2 cups Quaker Oats
* Milk Chocolate & White Chocolate
Directions:
Mix together all except flour and oats. Gradually add flour and oats. Roll thin ½ inch to ¼ inch and cut with round cookie cutter. Bake on greased or Teflon cookie sheet at 350 F for 12 minutes ( be sure to leave room between cookies as these do expand). Cool. Melt Milk Chocolate and spread on top of cookie, then melt White Chocolate and pipe a sqiggled Christmas tree on top.

This makes a great chewey oatmeal cookie and the addition of chocolate makes it perfect. These are meant to be big cookies, Cowboy size !!! It is always a favorite and the first to go !!!

Another thing I am making this year are bags of Sweet Minglers, these are highly addictive, you cannot eat just one or two !!! They are super simple but oh so yummy !

Sweet Minglers
Ingredients
1 package (6 oz., 1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup peanuts (optional)
6 cups Kellogg's Crispix cereal
1 cup powdered sugar
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Directions
1. In large microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate at HIGH 1 minute. Stir and heat 30 seconds longer at HIGH or until melted when stirred. Stir in peanut butter and peanuts. Gently stir in KELLOGG'S CRISPIX cereal, until evenly coated.
2. Place powdered sugar in 2-gallon zipper-type plastic bag. Add coated cereal to sugar and close bag. Gently toss cereal mixture until evenly coated. Store in airtight
container in refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings
*Microwave cooking times may vary.
CONVENTIONAL DIRECTIONS:
Melt chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly until melted. Remove from heat.
Stir in peanut butter and peanuts. Pour mixture over cereal in large mixing bowl.
Gently stir until evenly coated. Follow step 2 above.

I love the recipes given so far thanks everyone !!!

PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 28 Nov 2005 , 10:45pm
post #32 of 223

BJ,

Here is a link to Antonia74's tutorial on cookie decorating. It has an icing recipe also.

http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-Cookies.html

Texastwinkie, this is a great idea! I'm enjoying reading all the recipes, and I will post one of my own when I get home! thumbs_up.gif

texastwinkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastwinkie Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 12:32am
post #33 of 223

I'm enjoying this thread too! I love seeing everyone share these yummy sounding recipes. It will pretty cool if everyone whom pops in to take a peek at this thread would share a few recipes. Can't wait to try them out!

PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 12:45am
post #34 of 223

Here is a great recipe that I have made several times and people seem to like it. It is also nice for showers or teas.

LEMON SNOWBALLS

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. grated lemon peel
1 cup toasted blanched almonds, finely chopped

Frosting:

1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice

Heat oven to 350 F. Grease a large cookie sheet. Beat butter and sugar in mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Sift flour, cornstarch, and salt; add to butter mixture with lemon peel. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll each in almonds. Place cookies 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. Bake 14-15 minutes until golden. Cool on wire rack.

For frosting: Whisk powdered sugar, melted butter and lemon juice in bowl until smooth. Spoon into plastic storage bag; snip corner and pipe over cooled cookies. Makes 4 dozen. Enjoy!

Note: I have made it without the almonds and it is just as good!

melodyangel1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyangel1978 Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 12:53am
post #35 of 223

Here is a super simple recipe that I have to make for every holiday in my family
Peanut Butter Treats

10 oz. Special K Cereal
18 oz. Jar Peanut Butter
2 cups sugar
2 cups light corn syrup

Combine sugar and syrup in a saucepan, heat on med-high heat to soft ball stage. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter until totally melted. Pour over cereal in large bowl. Stir until coated.
Spoon onto aluminum foil, they stick to waxed paper. Make them whatever size you like. I make super-sized ones for my family and the recipe usually yields about 35 pieces. So if you don't need that many cut the recipe in half.

They are soo good, and quick and simple to make!

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 5:03am
post #36 of 223

As I was browsing through the recipes page on this site, I noticed that the Cookies section is a little bare. We should all post our recipes there when we can, that way they will be available without everyone having to search for this thread in the future. Also, this will give everyone the option of rating the recipe once you've tried it.

texastwinkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastwinkie Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 12:04pm
post #37 of 223

VAcakelady, thanks for pointing that out! I'll be sure and add mine!

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 12:17pm
post #38 of 223

Cheesecake Cookies

8oz block of cream cheese softened
1 cup butter softened
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Cream together cream cheese and butter.

Add in sugar then flour. Mix in nuts.

Roll cookies into a ball and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes until the edges become golden.

YUMMMMMYY

Thanks to everyone who has posted recipes - now it is time to bake!!! icon_smile.gif

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 7:12pm
post #39 of 223

Coconut and Chocolate Pinwheel Cookies
Yields about 3 dz.

Ingredients:
9 Tbl. Unsalted Butter, softened
1 c Sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 c Cake flour (not self-rising)
½ tsp. Baking soda
¼ tsp. Salt
1 ½ c Unsweetened coconut
6 oz. Bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/3 c Sweetened condensed milk  

Directions:

1.  Cream 8 Tbl. Butter and the sugar until fluffy with the paddle attachment.
2.  Add the egg and vanilla, beat until fluffy
3.  In a med. bowl, whisk together flour, baking, soda and salt. Add flour mixture to butter and beat on low until combined.
4.  Add the coconut, and beat until combined.
5.  Roll out dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper into a 10x15 rectangle about 1/8 thick. Transfer dough to baking sheet and chill at least 1 hour.
6.  Place the chocolate and remaining Tbl. Butter in a double boiler. Melt completely, about 2 min, and remove from heat.
7.  Stir in the milk. Let sit until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
8.  Remove dough from fridge. Peel off top piece of parchment. Using an offset spatula, spread the melted chocolate over the dough.
9.  Using the bottom piece of parchment for support, roll the dough into a log. Wrap in parchment and chill overnight.
10.  Heat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with paper. Remove the plastic from the log, and cut into ¼ thick rounds.
11.  Place the rounds on the sheets, spaced 1 ½ apart, and bake until pale golden around edges, 8-10 minutes.
12.  Transfer cookies to rack and cool.

mary-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mary-ann Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 3:37am
post #40 of 223

These are my all time favorite holiday cookies.

Peanut Blossoms

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
Sugar
48 milk chocolate candy kisses

Heat oven to 375 F. In large bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, shortening, peanut butter, milk, vanilla and egg; blend at low speed until stiff dough forms. Shape into 1-inch balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake at 375 F. for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately top each cookie with a candy kiss, pressing down firmly so cookie cracks around edge; remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely. Yield: 4 dozen cookies.
(From the Pillsbury "The Complete Book of Baking". This book has tons of great cookie recipes.)
Enjoy!

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 3:47am
post #41 of 223

When we started making Peanut Blossoms over 30 years ago, we baked the cookies 7-8 min. then took them out of oven & placed a kiss on top of each cookie until it "cracks". Put pan back in oven for 2-3 min. Remove from oven & pan. (This doesn't melt the kisses, and adds to the flavor.) icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 3:47am
post #42 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary-ann

These are my all time favorite holiday cookies.

Peanut Blossoms

1 ¨ú cups all purpose flour
¨ö cup sugar
¨ö cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
¨ö teaspoon salt
¨ö cup shortening
¨ö cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
Sugar
48 milk chocolate candy kisses

Heat oven to 375¢ª F. In large bowl, combine flour, ¨ö cup sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, shortening, peanut butter, milk, vanilla and egg; blend at low speed until stiff dough forms. Shape into 1-inch balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake at 375¢ª F. for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately top each cookie with a candy kiss, pressing down firmly so cookie cracks around edge; remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely. Yield: 4 dozen cookies.
(From the Pillsbury ¡°The Complete Book of Baking¡±. This book has tons of great cookie recipes.)
Enjoy!

Looks like a wonderful recipe but I don't understand the symbols for the amounts. Perhaps I am the only one, would you please explain?
Hugs Squirrelly

SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 4:02am
post #43 of 223

Thanks for straightening those measurements out for me kiddo!
Hugs Squirrelly

mary-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mary-ann Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 4:04am
post #44 of 223

Squirrelly, those are highly technical measurement symbols. I'm surprised you don't understand them icon_lol.gif That's what happens when you copy from Word to CC. Sorry about that. It should be correct now.

bakersofcakes - I'll have to try your tip. These are the first cookies I remember from when I was a kid... about 30 years ago.

Mary Ann

bakersofcakes Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 4:10am
post #45 of 223

Oh, I forgot to add icon_rolleyes.gif ...you don't want the cookies to brown or anything after you've put the kisses on them--just minimal softening of the kisses in the 2-3 min. they're in the oven. icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 4:12am
post #46 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary-ann

Squirrelly, those are highly technical measurement symbols. I'm surprised you don't understand them icon_lol.gif That's what happens when you copy from Word to CC. Sorry about that. It should be correct now.

bakersofcakes - I'll have to try your tip. These are the first cookies I remember from when I was a kid... about 30 years ago.

Mary Ann

Haha, well finally I know why that is happening. When I first started to send out the Cake Lady Recipes on the Wilton site, a good friend had sent some of them to me and they had all these symbols. Haha, thought it was some weird form of shorthand and I had to work out what the measurements were. So now you have solved that little mystery that used to keep me up nights. See, you truly can learn anything on this site, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 4:14am
post #47 of 223

Here are my favorites.... and I make them every Christmas.

Buckeye Balls

1 1/2 C Creamy Peanut butter
1/2 C Room temp butter
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 package chocolate almond bark

Mix first four ingredients together by hand. Form into balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Chill. After they are chilled melt almond bark in microwave until smooth. Dip in chocolate almond bark and set back on wax paper to dry. I usually melt white almond bark as well and drizzle back and forth to make them extra fancy icon_biggrin.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 4:19am
post #48 of 223

Heehee, I just love the name of those!
Hugs Squirrelly

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 4:31am
post #49 of 223

I was given some cookies at Christmas one year they were chocolate brownie type cake ball with a coconut filling would anyone have this recipe it reminded me of a mounds candy bar the person who gave these out would not share the recipe they were soooo good!!!!!!

Theresa

VACakelady Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 4:36am
post #50 of 223

Molly2 - Those sound soooo good, I sure hope someone has an idea about the recipe. I think I'd have to add an almond in there for an Almond Joy flavor.

RAVUN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RAVUN Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 2:25pm
post #51 of 223

Molly2.....this is not a cookie recipe...but if you like mounds this is very good and very easy recipe.

Chocolate Clusters

1 6oz. pkg. chocolate chips
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 teas. vanilla
2 Tbls. powdered sugar
2 cups coconut

Combine chocolate chips and syrup in a pan and set on low heat.
Stir when melted.
Remove from heat.
Add vanilla and powdered sugar.
Stir in coconut.
Drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper or lightly buttered cookie sheet.
Chill.
Store in a covered container.
Makes 30 pieces.

( You can also use raisins or peanuts instead of coconut...all 3 are yummy. I have also just microwaved the chips and syrup instead of using the stove.....these can also be rolled into balls.)
This recipe was taken from an old cookbook.

Hope you like them
Debbie

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 2:39am
post #52 of 223

That sounds good Thanks I'm going to try it

Theresa

bakersofcakes Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 3:22am
post #53 of 223

Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies OR NO-Bake Cookies

2 cups granulated sugar
4 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup milk--I use 2% or 1/2 evaporated milk & 1/2 water
1 stick (1/2 cup) margarine--I use Mrs. Filberts
2-1/2 cups quick oatmeal--(cooks in 1 min.)
1/2 cup peanut butter--I use creamy
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup nuts--pecans or walnuts

Combine sugar & cocoa, breaking up all lumps. Stir in milk & add margarine. Bring to a boil & boil 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat & quickly stir in oatmeal, peanut butter, vanilla & nuts. Drop from spoon onto waxed paper or aluminum foil. (I usually put the waxed paper or aluminum foil on a cookie sheet.) Let set until hardened.

(If they are too slow to harden, you can put them in the refrigerator.)

These are a great family favorite here!!! thumbs_up.gif

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 2:57pm
post #54 of 223

I make these cookies every year for Xmas. A little more work, but well worth it. They get raves everywhere I take them. The recipe came from the Busha of one of my good friends. The cookie part bakes up light & delicate so handle with a gentle touch when filling them. You can use cookie cutters to get a different look for another holiday. I made them one year using a heart shaped cutter for my son to take to school for Valentines day. The teacher called me to get the recipe. If you want to double the amount of cookies, make two separate batches. Don't substitute for the butter & heavy cream. Some things are just worth it. thumbs_up.gif

Bushie's Good Cookies

1 cup butter
1/3 cup heavy cream
2 cups flour

Mix butter & heavy cream until creamy. Mix in flour and chill for 2 hours. Roll out VERY thin, use a glass or other small round cutter and prick with a fork (in the middle of the cookie). Bake 7-9 minutes at 375. Do not brown. Let cool and make filling:
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix all ingredients together to make filling. You can microwave the filling to soften, about 20 seconds or so. Put cookies together like a sandwich cookie. You can color the filling as desired.

I also have pics & instructions to make an edible cookie bowl, but not sure how to post, so I will be happy to email to those who would like it, just send me a pm. Thanks & Happy Holidays!

VACakelady Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 2:01pm
post #55 of 223

I decided to print all of these posts so that I could have all of these wonderful recipes at hand. I think I need a new ink cartridge now.... 21 pages! I'm off to the store for some ingredients. Thanks to you all who posted your recipes!!

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 11:35pm
post #56 of 223

This recipe has been LOVED by all the men in my husband's shop. Every holiday season, he gets bombarded with "When is she making them, huh??" So I'll share! They're the best I've ever had!

Spicy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies: PREP time: 15 minutes

1/2 cup butter, softened.
1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
1 cup packed light brown sgr.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 cups AP flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350. In large bowl, cream together butter, shortening, brown sugar, gran. sugar, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Combine flour, baking soda, connamin, cloves and salt; stir into sugar mixture. Stir in oats and raisins. Drop by rounded teaspoon onto lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes until light and golden. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheets. Store in airtight container.

YIELD: 3 dozen cookies.

These are hands down my favorite cookies ever!

Molasses Sugar Cookies:

3/4 cup shortening
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. molasses
1 egg
2 tsp. baking soda
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. salt

Melt shortening and cool.
Add sugar, molasses and egg; beat well. Sift flour, soda, cloves, cinnamon and salt together. Add to first mixture and chill dough. Roll into 1 inch balls and roll in granulated sugar. Bake on cookie sheets for 8-10 minutes. YUUUUMMMMMM!!!!!!!! Especially with milk!

Anyone who tries either of these, let me know how you like them!

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 8:57pm
post #57 of 223

These are awesome! Now that they make Andes mint chips, they'll be even easier this year!

Mint Truffle Cookies
1 ¼ cup sugar
1 cup butter or margarine- softened
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 ¼ cup flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
1 pkg. Andes mints- coarsely chopped

Glaze:
8 oz. white candy coating
1 tsp. vegetable shortening
1-2 drops green food coloring

Combine sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla. Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Beat at low until soft dough forms. Stir in mints. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill 2-3 hours.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheets. Shape dough into 1 balls. Place 2 apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes. Cool completely.

In 1 qt. saucepan, combine candy coating and shortening. Melt over low heat stirring constantly. Stir in food coloring. Pipe or drizzle glaze over cookies to form stripes. Let dry completely before storing.

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 8:06pm
post #58 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyEdzards

Here are my favorites.... and I make them every Christmas.

Buckeye Balls

1 1/2 C Creamy Peanut butter
1/2 C Room temp butter
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 package chocolate almond bark

Mix first four ingredients together by hand. Form into balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Chill. After they are chilled melt almond bark in microwave until smooth. Dip in chocolate almond bark and set back on wax paper to dry. I usually melt white almond bark as well and drizzle back and forth to make them extra fancy icon_biggrin.gif

Too funny I make Buckeyes too!!!! I had to promise my aunt I would never give the recipe away so that she would give it to me. The only difference for me is I use semi sweet chocolate chips and (get ready to cringe everyone) a little parafin wax to dip the balls in. I have family that jokes or at least I hope they are joking and say I can't come for the holidays with out bringing them.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 8:11pm
post #59 of 223

mjones, I hate to be the one to tell your aunt this but....That is the way I was taught to do them too.

This year though, I made one pb ball and then a smaller one stacked on top. Set them on a cooling rack and melted white choc. poured it over them and while they are still wet sprinkled Wiltons sparkle flakes on them. When dry I put a royal icing scarf, eyes, nose, and buttons. They are the cutest army of snowmen I have ever seen.

sweeterbug1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeterbug1977 Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 8:21pm
post #60 of 223

This is not a cookie recipe, but my family, including my inlaws, requests that I make this not only during Christmas but throughout the year. Here is my mom's divinity recipe:

Divinity
INGREDIENTS:
4 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light (not dark) corn syrup
1 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
3 egg whites (room temperature)
1 cup walnuts, chopped, or more if desired
1 tsp vanilla
food coloring (optional)

PREPARATION:
Combine sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt in heavy saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture starts to boil. Continue cooking until mixture forms soft ball when tested in cold water (or use a themometer). In the mean time, beat egg whites until stiff. Then pour 1/2 cup of syrup over whites, beating fast all the time.

Continue to cook remaining syrup while beating egg whites, until syrup reaches the light crack stage when dropped in cold water (this will happen quickly). Pour remaining syrup over egg white mixture, beating all the while. Continue beating until candy begins to hold its shape. Stir in vanilla and nuts and food coloring. Drop by teaspoonsful onto waxed paper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%