Is It Possible To Decorate With Boiled Frosting?

Decorating By LittleMom Updated 22 Feb 2007 , 7:02pm by Michelle104

LittleMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleMom Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 10

In case I called it by the wrong name, I mean the sticky gooey marshmallowy tasty stuff.

My dad loves it on a chocolate cake, and I'm wondering if it can be decorated to any degree. I can barely spread the stuff, but boy is it yummmmmmmy.

9 replies
boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 5:11am
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMom

In case I called it by the wrong name, I mean the sticky gooey marshmallowy tasty stuff.

My dad loves it on a chocolate cake, and I'm wondering if it can be decorated to any degree. I can barely spread the stuff, but boy is it yummmmmmmy.

It's really difficult to work with, so i've just given up ; )
This one has a plaque and then borders and sides done in meringue icing.
It's truly delicious.

Nati
Edited to add picture dunce.gif
LL

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 5:20am
post #3 of 10

Which icing are you talking about?

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 6:11am
post #4 of 10

bump!

tetraz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tetraz Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 11:21am
post #5 of 10

Yes it is possible to decorate with boiled frosting. In tropical countries,there's no way we can use buttercream. we have no other option but the boiled frosting or the fondant. I'ts somehow very tricky to make for you have both the beaten eggwhite and the boiling syrup to keep an eye to. But once you learn the trick,it's worth it. It's healthy and yummy!

Michelle104 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 10

Is there a recipe somewhere for this icing????

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 10

Yes, bump!

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 10

Yes!! I completed the Wilton Master Decorator's Course in Chicago last NOvember. "Boiled" icing is mostly what we used to practice our borders, stringwork, some flowers, etc. We never used buttercream and only used RI when making flowers to dry and use on our "graduation" cakes.

Here is the recipe from the Wilton site:

Fluffy Boiled Icing

Meringue:

Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons meringue powder
1/2 cup cold water
Syrup:

Ingredients:
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup water
Beat meringue powder and cold water until stiff, about 4 minutes. In microwave safe bowl stir sugar, corn syrup and water. In microwave bring syrup mixture to a boil (approx. 5 minutes). Remove, let mixture cool slightly (1-2 minutes). Then slowly add syrup to meringue mixture. Beat on HIGH for 4 minutes.

YIELD: 8 cups.

For top of range: Mix sugar, corn syrup and water in 2 qt. saucepan. Bring to boil; cool slightly and follow directions above.

I think the recipe we used is the same. I'll check when I get home and if it is different I"ll PM it to you.

LittleMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleMom Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 10

Sorry I didn't get back to this post sooner. icon_redface.gif The recipe I've been using for years came from my mom's Betty Crocker cookbook from the 60's.

2 egg whites
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C corn syrup
2 T water
1 t vanilla

1. Whip egg whites until stiff peaks
2. Cook sugar, corn syrup and water until firm ball stage
3. Pour sugar mixture into egg whites in a thin stream while beating on medium. Add vanilla. Continue to whip for another 10 minutes.

It's a delicious frosting, it's fluffy and tastes like marshmallow - and it's fat free. icon_biggrin.gif It's just like making IMBC, but no butter.

But, I can't get it to do anything but ice a cake because it's so sticky and droopy. It's so good on chocolate cake (which I made for my parents on Sunday). I just used a little cocoa powder sprinkled in a spiral on top to dress it up a little. thumbs_up.gif

Michelle104 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 7:02pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%