Looking For Recipe Chocolate Buttercream

Baking By ktweety Updated 25 Nov 2005 , 3:58am by TexasSugar

ktweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktweety Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 4

I hear everyone talking about chocolate buttercream icing. Can anyone please give me the recipe
thanks
ktweety icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 4

Here are a couple links to chocolate buttercream in the recipe section .. there are many recipes that I'm sure chocolate could be added to also... hope this helps and welcome to CakeCentral!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-706-4-Chocolate-Buttercream.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-756-5-Chocolate-Fudge-Buttercream-Frosting.html

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 3:19am
post #3 of 4

In addition to the wonderful information you received, here is a recipe that Jeanne G from the Wilton site provided. It is very popular. I have copied and pasted part of her post from the Wilton site.
This recipe works in a 4.5 quart KitchenAid stand mixer.

First, about the ingredients

Butter: I use unsalted because I really prefer its taste on bread and in many recipes. (I dont know whether I could tell the difference in this recipe because Ive never had salted on hand when Ive made it.) I keep butter refrigerated until Im ready to use it. In my microwave 15 seconds on full power is just right to soften a pat for my morning toast or a stick and half for this recipe.

Powdered sugar: To avoid sifting and measuring, all my frosting recipes use a 2 pound bag. I buy what is on sale, without regard to whether the sugar started life in canes or in beets.

Cocoa: I have made many successful batches of this recipe using Hersheys cocoa. One of my sons worked in Chicago a couple of years, where he fell in love with Chicago-style pizza, blues, and Bloomers chocolate supply store. Whenever he is back in Chicago he has pizza, visits a blues bar, and makes a chocolate run. Last time he brought me back 2-pound bags of each of the three kinds of cocoa they carry. Oh my! Each is wonderful and has its own flavor and color nuances. If you dont have someone to make chocolate runs for you and youd like to venture beyond Hersheys, try the web site: www.blommerstore.com. I measure cocoa first and then put it through a sieve into my mixing bowl, to eliminate any lumps.

Liquid: I make this with water, but you may use milk if you prefer. I start with ½ cup measured out, and add almost all of it. If necessary I add the remainder after mixing. Sometimes it takes more than the ½ cup total. I find that chocolate frosting takes more fiddling with the water content than white buttercream does.

Tip: It is hard to get the exact same shade of brown in different batches of frosting. If youll need more than one, make them all upfront and stir them together in some huge container (I use a stock pot) so the color is uniform.

Now, the simple recipe

3/4 cup Crisco
3/4 cup butter, softened (6 ounces, 1 & 1/2 American sticks)
1 1/4 cups cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 pounds powdered sugar
about 1/2 cup of water, give or take a little

(If you have a splash guard for your bowl, this is a good recipe to use it with.)

Mix the Crisco and butter at a slow speed until creamy.
Add the cocoa. Mix again until the cocoa is all incorporated.
Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and most of the water. Beat at medium speed for a few minutes.
Test the spreadability and add water if necessary.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Nov 2005 , 3:58am
post #4 of 4

I use my regular buttercream recipe and just add cocoa powder or melted chocolate to it. I also add another tablespoon or two of liquid if it is too stiff or dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%