Filling In Patterns

Decorating By Jennkrem Updated 24 Mar 2005 , 10:35am by GHOST_USER_NAME

Jennkrem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennkrem Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 11

I've been through classes and have caught on to everything rather quickly I believe. However, there is one thing that was just never told to me. I understand how to use piping gel to transfer a pattern. However, I do not understand (or know) the fill in process where it is "smooth". Do I use a certain tip? Do I thin out my icing? What is the trick?? I'm not fond of the color flow icing, is it possible to thin out buttercream enough where it would work??

I have a project to do in April and it is too detailed for the frozen buttercream transfer, I would feel more comfortable filling in.

10 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 11

There are several methods. You can thin down your icing or use a glaze or even piping gel. There's probably recipes on the site here for some of these. Cali4dawn?

Debbie

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennkrem

I've been through classes and have caught on to everything rather quickly I believe. However, there is one thing that was just never told to me. I understand how to use piping gel to transfer a pattern. However, I do not understand (or know) the fill in process where it is "smooth". Do I use a certain tip? Do I thin out my icing? What is the trick?? I'm not fond of the color flow icing, is it possible to thin out buttercream enough where it would work??

I have a project to do in April and it is too detailed for the frozen buttercream transfer, I would feel more comfortable filling in.

The only time I use a tip is when I am doing the outlining ... other wise there is no tip when I am filling in.... just cut a small hole in the parchment paper... do this with Glaze and Chocolate...

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 11

Are you maybe talking about a buttercream transfer?

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 11

Cali4dawn has a tutorial for both, look in her tutorials. It's after the BCT. If you can't find it, let me know and I can find the link.

I'm sure that Cali4dawn is still busy with her darling nephews.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 11

I've seen some very detailed BCTs so I wouldn't limit yourself.

I've been wanting to try this technique too. It's called Marshmallow Cream Flow-In. Here are the directions from ACD.
http://webmall1.com/sweetdreams/marshflow.htm

If you do decide to use a BCT, the directions are here also from ACD.
http://www.webmall1.com/sweetdreams/frozbutter.htm

Ladycake Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchelle

Cali4dawn has a tutorial for both, look in her tutorials. It's after the BCT. If you can't find it, let me know and I can find the link.

I'm sure that Cali4dawn is still busy with her darling nephews.

I talked to Dawn this afternoon she is trying to catch up the Boys left on Sunday and The Plummer came on Sunday and There is things around the house that she is trying to get done ... I am not sure where her posts are on this site but I do know where they are on mine so here is a link to my site where Dawns Post are for the Transfrers... http://www.ladycakes.com/cali4dawn.htm

They both have Transfer in the box you will see it ...

Here is mine for doing it on to wax paper http://www.ladycakes.com/wax_paper_image.htm you can do it the same way with out the wax paper..

Hope these help you ..

I know that Dawn said she will be back soon to the sites and she is going to do her best to get cought up... Untill then I hope these help you ..

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 1:02am
post #8 of 11

Are you familiar with run-sugar? It is a technique where you would outline with royal icing, let that harden.....water down the royal icing and fill in from there!

Ladycake Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 2:03am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

Are you familiar with run-sugar? It is a technique where you would outline with royal icing, let that harden.....water down the royal icing and fill in from there!

That works too... I have steps for that if its needed...

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 3:06am
post #10 of 11

I'd suggest making a small batch of royal icing and thinning it down with water a little at a time until it's a very loose consistency similar to color flow. Then fill the bag and then when it's already in there, cut the very tip off. Or use a coupler and a tip 2.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 10:35am
post #11 of 11

Hi everyone.

I tried the mm run-in (or mm flow) once. It's a sticky mess when trying to cut the cake. While it tasted good, no one liked dealing with it. The technique itself wasn't any easier or harder than most others.

All of my tutorials can be found here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/cali4dawn

Go toward the bottom of the page for Transfers: BCT, Chocolate and BC Glaze

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%