Started My Business

Business By Jenn2179 Updated 23 Feb 2007 , 6:50pm by Jenn2179

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 2:13am
post #1 of 21

Well I decided to take the plunge and got my business license on Monday. In NC you can work out of your home so that's what I am doing. I made my website and put it online today. www.buymecake.com My business is called Buy Me Cake. Thought it was pretty cute. My business cards are on their way and I printed labels and magnets too. Just wondering what you think of my website and the name.
Thanks
Jenn

20 replies
mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 2:53am
post #2 of 21

What a super duper cute name!!
A good start on your website, too
Remember to put your best work on the website.
It is a peek into your front window.
mpc

customcaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
customcaker Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 21

Great job on the website! Everything is well thought out and easy to understand. You're on your way! Have fun icon_smile.gif

scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 21

Congratulations! Your website looks great!

If you don't mind, I only have one suggestion...

Under Children's cakes, you have a pic of a penguin cake. Next to that it looks to be a diaper and some other things nearby. You might want to reconsider changing that pic. There are just too many things taking away from the cake itself.

Good luck with your new business!!

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 21

i like your site, i love the pink! thats the most popular color here with all of my brides i have booked for the summer. so that alone will get them looking. i like that its not jumbled with alot of stuff, sometimes when i go to a site and there is too much to read and look at i leave it.
lately alot of my consults are finding me on the net, thru my web site. thats the way to go! icon_wink.gif

sheila06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheila06 Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 21

Great site and I Love the name !!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 1:35am
post #7 of 21

Congrats on starting your business. I do have one suggestion though. you make beautiful cakes but for the photography, I'd get a uniform background, that you use to put behind and under the cakes before taking the picture. I've started doing that and the cakes just look better. The background just distracts a little from the cakes. I'm going to phase out, or find a way to eliminate the background on my pics, as soon as I figure out how.I love the way however, how you built your website. It's easy to navigate, the background is very pleasing to the eye

qtcakes Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 10:04am
post #8 of 21

ursula from china,
let us know how to eliminate the background on photos, i need to do this with my cakes.
susan w/ qt cakes

ailyn222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailyn222 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 10:13am
post #9 of 21

Congrats! Love the site. You are very lucky that your state allows you to work from home. I am in Texas and you need a comercial kitchen space here. I wish you the best of luck. Your website looks great and you pictures are very nice. thumbs_up.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 11:28am
post #10 of 21

Good Luck!! If I was in NC I would definitely buy your cakes!! thumbs_up.gif

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:51pm
post #11 of 21

Will do, but after I get back from Bali. I really have to do some work on my pics, but I'm pretty much computer illeterate, it takes me ages to figure stuff out. i still have no idea how i got my website up and no idea whatsoever, how i manage to post here, but at least i'm not afraid to push buttons (but my hubby is afraid of me starting to holler, when I make a mistake)

kdbobo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbobo Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 7:45pm
post #12 of 21

I only see pricing here for wedding cakes. You should add pricing for the other kinds of cakes as well.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 9:25pm
post #13 of 21

I suggest may be changing the font, something more stylish to go with the pink and brown, more pictures too, so happy for you good luck and great name 4 your business!!!!!!

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 7:22pm
post #14 of 21

Congratulations! I love the simplicity of your site- don't ever be tempted to make it "busier"- your customers will love being able to locate the info they need right away!

Your photos take a very long time to load compared to photos on other websites. The resolution and file size may be the problem. Try saving the photos at a resolution of 96- that's all you need for sharp screen display. That will cut down the file size and make them load faster, too.

Also, look in your photo editing software for a tool that will blur, distort, or fade the background. In mine, I can use the tool to click & drag over items in the background of a photo to make them out-of-focus and therefore less noticeable.

Good Luck with the new business! icon_smile.gif

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 7:46pm
post #15 of 21

I only see two things that could improvement: 1) On the home page, you have a short paragraph next to the cake. Can you rephrase the last two sentences--they seem redundant. You've used the words ensure and dream twice.

2) I agree with albumangel that you should probably decrease the filesize of the photos. It takes a few seconds for the photos to download.

The website overall is great. I found it very easy to navigate between the pages. I like the neatness and the organization of it. Best of luck with your new business--Love the name!

qtcakes Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 11:16am
post #16 of 21

ladies, can you give me the name of the program or file to blur or delete the backgrounds?
thanks.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 11:53am
post #17 of 21

Congratulations!!! I bet this is sooo exciting for you!!! Best of Luck & Happy Baking!!

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 2:44pm
post #18 of 21

The program I use is called Memory Manager by Creative Memories. If you'd like to get more info or order, PM me and I'll give you my CM website where you can order online and it will ship directly to you (I'm a consultant).

I know other software has this capability- I've used Photoshop before, but it's pretty complicated and costs a lot of $$. Memory Manager is only $39.95 plus tax.

What software do you currently use to edit your photos? There may even be a way to do this with software you already own.

qtcakes Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 9:59pm
post #19 of 21

my husband got a new digital camera and its set up with kodak easy share, i find the program doesnt do as much as printshop. we have that one. its too hard to try to redirect the kodak to the printshop. i dont know how. my hubby is the computer guy. i will talk to him about this tonite, thanks for now.

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 10:09pm
post #20 of 21

Great site! The program I use is Adobe Photoshop. I love it! I use it for all of my photos, you can crop photos, erase the background, change the lighting/brightness, do special effects. If you look in my photos I've erased the backgrounds on all my pictures. I also usually adjust the lighting/brightness on my photos to get the right color. (my camera isn't very good and it makes all my cakes look dark and not as attractive) But thanks to adobe photoshop you can't really tell.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 6:50pm
post #21 of 21

I just wanted to thanks everyone who replied to my post. I have started making changes to my website based on what everyone has said. I had started using the same black background when taking all my pictures so on the older pictures I just blacked out the background. I am also making the pictures a smaller size so that they load quicker. I am having issues right now updating my site but when everything starts working again I am going to upload all the changes.
Thanks again.
-Jenn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%