Rice Krispie Modeling Help!

Decorating By Lambshack Updated 10 Oct 2007 , 11:45am by Suzy40

Lambshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lambshack Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 21

Once you get your krispie creation molded into shape, how do you go about covering it? Do you frost with BC first and then cover with fondant, like you do with the cakes? I have to mold a horse's head tonight and I'm not sure how I should cover it. Usually the krispie treats are a bit on the bumpy side... wouldn't that show thru the fondant?
Help, please??? icon_redface.gif

20 replies
Lueet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lueet Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 21

Yes, I ice with BC first to fill in the gaps... but I try to make sure the fondant is not too thin to still see bumps. Good luck!

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 21

I would put a layer of BC on it not only to make sure the Fondant sticks but also to smooth it out a bit.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 1:49am
post #4 of 21

yes, most definately cover in bc....just like regular cake, all the imperfections will show thru the fondant thumbs_up.gif

mangiamangia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mangiamangia Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 3:21am
post #5 of 21

Like everyone else said, cover with a good coating of BC and don't roll your fondant too thin.

Can't wait to see it!

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 3:28am
post #6 of 21

I just did this with my office cake - worked great!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 3:29am
post #7 of 21

Buttercream, yes. Before I did that I "shaved" the figures with a knife to get rid of the larger bumps. I had a fairly smooth surface to start with and then less work covering it with the bc and then fondant.

sugarfancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarfancy Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 3:43am
post #8 of 21

I shaped a Freddy Krueger head for Halloween using rice krispies. After the head was molded I froze it, covered it with BC, froze it again and then I covered it in fondant. This worked out great for me.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 3:51am
post #9 of 21

Oh I'm so glad you asked this question! I was wondering too - and do you use the regular rice krispy recipe? It's been awhile since I've made them but they were so ooey gooey - do you bake them and THEN try to mold them???

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 3:52am
post #10 of 21

Not sure if I got in too late on this thread to be of any help or not, but I heard a rumor that Duff squishes his rice crispies up so that the texture is finer. Ihaven't tried it myself, but it seemed to be one of those..."DUH!" things... icon_lol.gif

Good luck!

sugarfancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarfancy Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:05am
post #11 of 21

imartsy

You use the regular recipe, and no you don't need to bake it before. I start molding my piece on a dowel rod and use butter on my hands so that it won't be so sticky and press the rice krispies tightly with both hands so that it gets all stuck together well.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:08am
post #12 of 21

Remember on the skyscraper challenge Duff said he rolls his cereal with a rolling pin first? That was why his building had a smoother surface than other contestants. But I don't remember if he iced the structure before covering with fondant.

lapazlady Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 5:02am
post #13 of 21

Squeeze those rice crispies hard, don't be afraid to compress them as much as you can. I haven't tried rolling them with a rolling pin first, but that might not be a bad idea, fewer bumps to deal with.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:32pm
post #14 of 21

Hmmm...that's an interesting idea to break up the krispies to make a finer texture. Did he whizz them up in a food processor and then mix in the marshmallows?? Has anyone tried this?

When I was making my dragon's tail I squished them down really good and then rolled them on the table like I was making a fondant log or something. That helped a lot to compact them. I didn't have any trouble with the bumps showing through.

Courtney

Lambshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lambshack Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 7:09pm
post #15 of 21

Thanks for all your help! I managed to finish the cake at 5 this morning - its been picked up and probably half eaten by now! I posted it in my pics - the head, arms/legs, and ears are krispies.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 7:15pm
post #16 of 21

He is just darling, they must have fallen over when they saw him!

victorianne_sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victorianne_sweets Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 7:56am
post #17 of 21

Ooohhh!! <<waving frantically>>

RKT challenged here! I follow the classic recipe without butter, but mine never really firm up that well. I make some 3 days ago for molding, but they are still soft and squishy and want to fall apart. icon_cry.gif

Any suggestions?!? icon_confused.gif

Suzy40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzy40 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 8:38am
post #18 of 21

Hi

Could anyone please post the recipe for Rice Krispies , and any hints on how to go about sculpting them

Suzy

lapazlady Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 9:53am
post #19 of 21

The recipe is on the RiceKrispie box. I think it's 40 marshmellows, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, 1/4 cup butter, 8 cups of RiceKrispies, but check the box.

To use the mixture, make an approximation of the form you want and start squeezing and adjust the form as you go. You want to have a solid, dense piece. You can do subtle changed by "shaving" the form with a knife. Use a knife to take off any sharp corners. Lots of luck, it's fun to work with.

chebean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chebean Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:33am
post #20 of 21

great tips for RKTs! i'll definitely have to try to roll them out next time and then mold.

i am in a crunch so i purchased the ready-made RKT from Walmart. it molds well!! couldn't help eating the scraps.... icon_redface.gif

when you put buttercream on it do you let it crust over before applying the fondant?

Suzy40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzy40 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:45am
post #21 of 21

I am in Australia , we dont have rice crispies , i figure they are like rice bubbles , but the recipes on our boxes are for chocolate crackles not anything with Marshmallows , so if anyone could sterr me in the right direction for a recipe

much appreciated

Suzy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%