Gold Lustre Dust Painted Vs. Airbrush.... Question

Decorating By Jopalis Updated 1 May 2011 , 1:08pm by Kiddiekakes

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 7

Sometimes I think painting with lustre dust looks streaky. How can I avoid this or is it possible to airbrush a light gold metallic color over fondant & candy melts? I didn't see metallic gold in airbrush colors. Can someone help?

6 replies
jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 7

I always mix my luster dust with vodka, put in in my airbrush, and spray it that way. It always works out great! I have done this on fondant, candy melts, and buttercream.

Jopalis Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 7

Oh...cool. I thought it had to be airbrush paint or it clogged up.... I will try that. I am afraid using a brush will be streaky. I just want a light coating of metallic gold over green candymelt items and one fondant item.

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 7

You really need to get the consistancy right, or it will clog. I did a Saints helmet in fondant (in my gallery), and airbrushed it all gold... It took a few times to get it right (it kept clogging), it only takes a little powder, and a lot of alcohol. Once you get it though - it's GREAT!

Jopalis Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 7

That was my next question. I will only be doing a 4" shamrock cake covered in fondant and a few little shamrock candy melts. Is there any way to know the ratio of dust to alcohol? Is there a minimum amt the bottle of sprayer will only take.... how little.... only need a little done.

dianagom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianagom Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 7

I'm having problems airbrushing candy melts it turns into dots. What can I be doing wrong? Also what can I use to dissolve the americolor sheer paint ?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 May 2011 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 7

dianagom..You need to buy a cocoa based chocolate spray in order for the beads to not show on chocolate.I think they sell the cocoa based products on many online specialty chocolate sites.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%