Downtown Dough Screwed Up My Order!

Baking By texastwinkie Updated 3 Dec 2005 , 12:11am by Bekki

texastwinkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastwinkie Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 18

I ordered a beautiful 8 inch angel cookie cutter from Downtown Dough. My cutter arrived today and it's not the one I ordered. I went and checked the site to see what was going on and they have removed the image from their website. I called them to tell them my order was wrong and the lady told me that they no longer carried the cutter I had ordered. I asked her if they typically let the customer know rather than fill it with another item? She told me that around the holidays they have found that most customers would rather recieve "something" rather than nothing at all and if I didn't like the cutter that I could send it back and they would refund my postage. Now maybe I'm wrong but this really bothers me, the way she acted was I was one of the odd few that didn't find this acceptable. It's not worth the trouble and expense to me to send it back.

17 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 18

I would have been upset, too! Most companies would notify you before just sending something out. Sounds like they didn't want to lose a sale.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 18

No...You are not wrong!! I would find this not acceptable also.I would like to be given the option whether I still wanted to have the discontinued item exchanged with something else, but not just told "Sorry ,but others would rather get something than nothing" At the very least you should have been notified!!To me that shows that they are willing to take your money whether you are satisfied or not....I would phone back and ask to talk to a manager and insist that you be given a refund or a credit for a cutter you do want and that it was them who sent a cutter you DID NOT order so you are not paying to ship it back!!! I would say this is not good business practice!!

texastwinkie Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 18

Thank you! I was starting to think I was wrong for being upset about it. I wanted the cutter I ordered, I don't need the one they replaced it with. I'm not sure if they would follow thru on any refund so I'm not about to send it back and be out the money for the cutter, the original shipping fee in addition to the return shipping. Not sure if I can trust them. I will not order from them again.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 18

That's too bad because that is such a quick way for a business to LOSE business!!! Kinda left a bad taste in your mouth!!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 18

No you are not wrong! Now you have to pack it back up and ship it, not to mention wait for reimbursement of postage. Not only that, the time you lost and you could've gotten the cutter you wanted from someone else! That's just wrong!

charleydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleydog Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 18

............HOW RUDE!!!!!!!

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif
icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 1:23am
post #8 of 18

the only problem is...if you don't send it back they just got away with it...and that is probably why they did it...that is just wrong.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 1:31am
post #9 of 18

If I ran a business like that...I would have no idea what to replace a customer's order with without asking them. It would be as simple to send out an email to let you know that is was not avaiable and they would refund your money. At that point...you could decide to order something else. I totally think they were wrong.

texastwinkie Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 1:50am
post #10 of 18

I just sent them an email..Waiting to see if I get a better response than I did over the phone.

peachstate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachstate Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 3:43am
post #11 of 18

I would call back and ask to speak to a manager. What they did is not only wrong, its illegal? They are not allowed to replace it with a different item at their whim. I would tell them that you are returning the item, since its not what you ordered and that you expect a full refund. Then based off of how they handle that I would threaten to contact the BBB and the Attorney General for the state which the business is in. Word of mouth is usually how most business' survive, and negative publicity goes a long way. Then you could even goes as far as contacting the local media. I am sure that with a few of those threats that the company might see it your way. What's the name again, so that I can add it to my list of who not to do business with.

texastwinkie Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 3:59am
post #12 of 18

I'm actually pretty ticked about it. I'm sure they are a good company, I have heard good things about them and I hope this is an isolated incident. I'm upset that they did it without consulting me and that I have to go thru the effort to send it back and keep my fingers crossed that they will make good of the problem and refund my money. I ordered a large angel with a large wingspan thats pointed down. I wanted plenty of room to do some detail work on the wings. I got an angel with a smaller wingspan pointed out among other differences. Silly but the wings are the reason I ordered this cutter. The company is Downtown Dough.

texastwinkie Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 12:03am
post #13 of 18

Update on my "issue" with Downtown Dough. I called them and was able to get a refund without sending them the cutter back. They weren't very nice about it but they did agree to the refund.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 12:30am
post #14 of 18

..good! That's exactly what they should have done...but in a nice way!!

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 1:05am
post #15 of 18

One question -- did you pay by credit card? If so, you have an option if they don't refund you. Check with your cc company to see what they're policy is.

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 3:45pm
post #16 of 18

I believe that is called bait and switch! I would never do business with them again.

texastwinkie Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 12:01am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilson6

One question -- did you pay by credit card? If so, you have an option if they don't refund you. Check with your cc company to see what they're policy is.

I used my debit card. The refund came thru. I'll shop elsewhere in the future!

Bekki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bekki Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 12:11am
post #18 of 18

I do believe you are legally entitled to a) get a refund and b) keep the cutter, because you are not legally obligated to return merchandise to a company if you did not request it, nor are you required to pay for it. It's how companies were forced to stop sending "try this for 30 days, for free, and then we'll make you pay for it" product without solicitation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%