Ot..hosting Or A Guest For Thanksgiving?

Lounge By mudpie Updated 22 Nov 2005 , 2:48pm by Randa_000

mudpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mudpie Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 27

Just curious what you all are doing...so if you are a guest, do you bring the dessert?? I'm hosting.

26 replies
gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 27

I'm hosting. My mom is bringing mac n cheese and chocolate pecan pie, my sister is bringing corn and brussel sprouts and my brother is bringing cokes. Everything else is mine!!! But I enjoy it that way. I can fix it all the way I want to and they can't complain!!!!

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 27

I'm hosting. I love to cook!

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 27

I'm kind of both. I'll be a cooking guest at my mom's house. My sister and a friend will bring green beans and sweet potatoes, the rest is me with some help from mom.

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 27

Im hosting and i dont let anyone bring anything. I do it all. 2 turkeys a ham and all the fixins to go with it.

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 27

Hosting. Again. After announcing LAST Thanksgiving that I would NOT be hosting. Last week, the phone calls started with relatives fishing for an invitation. I'm doing it all except for the pop, a pan of brownies, and the appetizers. And I have a baby shower cake for 50 due the day after. Next year I'm going on vacation. I think someone else should host--I've been doing it for 8 years or so now. I'd like to be a guest.

emi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emi Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 27

I always host for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. I LOVE cooking and entertaining. It's one of those times that I really like to set the table with the best of everything, than look back and admire it. It can be a little strestful, but I've done it so many times that I know what to do and when to do it. The only thing that I try not do to much of is polish the silver. It's too time consuming. Last year my brother in law sarted doing them then turn to me and said: You know Emi, I really wouldn't mind eating from a paper plate.
Emi

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 9:25pm
post #8 of 27

I've been hosting for 20 years. I've done it ever since we got married. My mom does Christmas, my sister does Easter and my brother does Fourth of July!

whtrbbt420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whtrbbt420 Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 9:32pm
post #9 of 27

We are actually doing neither this year! We just had our 2nd baby in Feb and we decided that after 10 years of doing one or the other (hosting or guests) that we just wanted to have my husband and our 2 kids. And honestly we have never been more excited about a holiday. We are fixing just the foods we enjoy and know that when we are done we can flop our butts on the couch and not move for the rest of the day....well...till we need another plate that is icon_biggrin.gif

erinlynn22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinlynn22 Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 9:34pm
post #10 of 27

I'm a guest. My Aunt is hosting. I'm brining Turkey shaped cookies "No fail sugar cookies" with Royal Icing. I used the tutorial from this site to do it. I'm pretty happy with them. I'll post pictures later in the week once i take some. I always bring some dessert as its my favorite thing to make

mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 9:50pm
post #11 of 27

Was just going to be DH, me and the kids this year than last night DH decided to ask his sister to have dinner with us. She is going thru a tough time right now and he has to be the big brother and make her feel better, so now I have to change how much to cook. now instead cooking for 4 I'm cooking for 15 plus I have 22 cake to make that are do that day. I'm looking forward to it somewhat

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 10:01pm
post #12 of 27

Hosting this year, like last year. But last year was the first time for me. I learned a lot about what to do and what not to do for the dinner. I'm doing it all again this year - turkey, fixings, and desserts. Luckily, there's not that many people coming over, just my in-laws and my brother to make a total of 5.

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 10:10pm
post #13 of 27

I always host. Just a few people. My sister, her husband and their kids. My mom and her husband usually come but she went south for the winter!!! Lucky her.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 10:11pm
post #14 of 27

Hosting here....me and mine make 4 then my best friend and her mom..and whoever drops in.

mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 10:17pm
post #15 of 27

!

This year we are going to my MIL house and I love to make desserts
I always make this for Thanksgiving and Christmas

Banana Nut Bread, Pumpkin Bread and their favorites is Banana Cream Pie

I always want to try new things so I found this on verybestbaking.com

Chocolate & Peanut Butter Cheesecake Bars & Swirled Surprise
Cookies
I also found Festive Cranberry-Pineapple Salad on kraftsfood.com

I hope everyone enjoys their Turkey Day !!!!!!!!!

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 10:45pm
post #16 of 27

i was sappost to go to orlando, fl to my mom houses but my husband don't want to travel so i'm going down for x-mas instead so then we were going to his mom house here in va. but now he doesn't want to go no were and stay home he want the people to come here i was like no no no it's to short of a notice and i'm not cooking....so he was like ok then we are going to my moms .....so i was like thank you...(mainly because i don't know how to cook a turkey)

shaddi

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 10:47pm
post #17 of 27

NEITHER!!! I'm a nontraditionalist! We are going to Hometown and to a movie. I don't mind baking, but I hate cooking!

Christmas is another thing though. It's always been a buffet type set up for my family, so I'll whip up a ham and potatoes, no prob.

Debbi

Sophie-Em Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sophie-Em Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 11:02pm
post #18 of 27

I always serve Thanksgiving Dinner in my home but its only about 8 or 9 people. I also do Christmas dinner. this year is a very good one. First year all 3 kids and 3 grandkids will be here for Christmas. Which means cooking for about 12-15 people. On Dec 23 is my grandsons birthday so of course Nana is making his cake and about 20 plus people will be in my small townhouse Life just couldnt get any better. I love to cook and bake. I love these holidays

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 11:10pm
post #19 of 27

On holidays we always go to our dear friends, who host a potluck. I am taking brussels sprouts au gratin and cranberry relish this year. Very few other guests actually cook, so I nearly always get to bring a vegetable dish.

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 11:20pm
post #20 of 27

Guest-again. we keep trying to talk my mil into letting someone else host it, but they won't budge, she blames it on "grandpa" but i think she secretly doesn't want to let it go-at all. sad thing is, i would love to host a holiday, i have these great dishes that never get used. i don't want to finally START hosting a holiday when i'm 50! the grandparents host EVERY get together and their house is not set up well to accomodate 12 grandkids and 10 adults icon_razz.gif

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 11:39pm
post #21 of 27

A little of both-We always go to my nanny's for T-Day as a guest but this year she hasn't been feeling well so my aunt and I are doing the cooking at my nanny's. Then we have to go to my DH dad and step-mom's house on Sat. for another T-Day.

charleydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleydog Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 11:42pm
post #22 of 27

Ok, Ok, I am canadian so its not thanksgiving but you are all so festive I have to pipe in. I was always the host all the time, and thought I hated it. We relocated this year and now my family is too far. Hubby's family is here but none of them can be in a room together!!! So this thanksgiving I was racking my mind with how to replace the caotic(SP??) happenings of our thanksgiving, you know, 16 adults 30 kids a few cats and dogs and fighting and griping and whining...so me and DH and kids volunteered at a soup kitchen type thingy...no fighting, no complaining, no whining!! Just about 300 people who were the most thankful people to have a good meal I have met!!! I think we will do it again next year!!

Cheers!!! Hope you all have a great day, and don't forget the true meaning of being thankful!!!

icon_smile.gif

tanyap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyap Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 11:47pm
post #23 of 27

charleydog, that's such a nice thing to do...I want to be able to do that one day when my girls are a little older and can understand the lessons I'm trying to instill in them (they're 5.5yrs and 3yrs)...this year I made them pick out one of their numerous b-day gifts and give it to the local county abused children & women's shelter.

We are hosting but "outsourcing" our cooking...La Madeleine will be preparing our feast for 3 families (all friends, no relatives)...We just got done entertaining 45+people at our house last Sat. so I was too pooped to do Thanksgiving from scratch on my own.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 2:50am
post #24 of 27

Oh tanyap-La Madeline....my favorite when I lived in New Orleans...eat a strawberry napoleon for me!!!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 2:58am
post #25 of 27

Hosting. 23 people this year. I can always count on anywhere between 19 and 30 people! I do the Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, sauercraut, and homemade potato rolls and everyone else brings a side dish and desserts.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 2:39pm
post #26 of 27

Guest...but helping to cook.

Randa_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Randa_000 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 2:48pm
post #27 of 27

Im hostsing...guests are not required to bring anything....but if they do then that is great too...people usually bring Hors' Dovers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%