14 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 2:56am
post #2 of 15

No body makes their own here? icon_sad.gif

emi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emi Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 3:11am
post #3 of 15

I would like the recipe as well. Would anyone be willing to share it?
Emi

Annalisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annalisa Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 3:18am
post #4 of 15

Do you mean gumpaste for sugar flowers if so I have a recepie I can give you details of

katiebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiebug Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 15

I highly recommend this recipe by Nicholas Lodge. http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm I also HIGHLY recommend that you use the tylose and NOT try to substitute gum tex. I was one who figured there couldn't possible be that much of a difference in the two, but its like night and day. The gum tex one was very heavy and not as easy to work with , the tylose one was very light and almost foamy.

(I make mine with meringue powder in place of raw eggs (something about playing with raw eggs gives me the heebiegeebies lol) Let me see if I can find my recipe ...okay I use 4T Meringue and 10 T warm water)

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 15

I use the recipe that comes with the can of Gum Tex by Wilton, very good and easy to work with.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Nov 2005 , 3:34am
post #7 of 15

Thanks! Guess I need to carve out some time to play. icon_smile.gif

I haven't done any flowers yet, but I'm more into modeling things, so that's what I wanted to use it for.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 26 Nov 2005 , 9:27am
post #8 of 15

Heres another recipe thats very good

250g sieved icing sugar
2 tsp powdered gelatine
6 tsp cold water
1 tsp liquid glucose

Put water in a heat proof bowl and sprinkle gelatine over it. Leave to soften for 2-3 minutes. Put bowl over a saucepan of hot water, the water should not be boiling and the bowl should not touch the bottom of the pan. When the gelatine has dissolved turn off the heat, add the liquid glucose and stir in throughly until the mixture is clear. Put icing sugar in a seperate bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour gelatine mix into the well, stir continually with a pallette knife until you have a firm paste. Remove from bowl and place on a non stick board. Knead gently for a couple of minutes, if the paste feels stringy knead some extra sieved icing sugar into paste. When throughly mixed put into a plastic bag and seal it. Store in an air tight container. Before using allow to stand at room temperature for 2 -3 hours

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 27 Nov 2005 , 10:28am
post #9 of 15

That's the one I use, Miss Baritone - I've never used gumpaste!

MissBaritone Posted 27 Nov 2005 , 7:00pm
post #10 of 15

If you've used that recipe you've use gumpaste. The difference probably is in the name. If I asked for gumpaste in a store over here they wouldn't know what I was talking about but if I asked for flower paste or petal paste I'd get exactly what I wanted

katiebug Posted 27 Nov 2005 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 15

Okay I am confussed, isn't that just a fondant recipe?

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 27 Nov 2005 , 7:42pm
post #12 of 15

Gumpaste actually has gum in it.

Recipes for gumpaste, from as early as the 16th century, include gum tragacanth ("gum dragon") in sugarpaste recipes to produce a modelling compound for sugar artisans.

katiebug Posted 27 Nov 2005 , 7:56pm
post #13 of 15

I guess thats why I was confussed , I thought all gumpaste recipes had a hardening agent in them such as gum tragacanth, gum arabic, or even tylose or gum tex.

MissBaritone Posted 28 Nov 2005 , 5:51am
post #14 of 15

No it isn't a fondant recipe. I don't know how this one works because it can still be rolled as thin and sets as hard and fast as normal gumpaste. I got it out of a book which was a joint compilation between Nicolas Lodge, Lesley Herbert and Janice Murfitt amongst others. I was sceptical but when I tried it it did work

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 28 Nov 2005 , 5:20pm
post #15 of 15

Can you subistute corn syrup for glucose? I have one almost like this but has a touch of lemon in it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%