Peanut Butter Recall! Salmonella

Lounge By Teekakes Updated 23 Feb 2007 , 4:44pm by Janette

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 66

Hi everyone,

I just watched the news and there is a recall of PETER PAN and GREAT VALUE brands of Peanut Butter starting with the code number 2111. There is a salmonella outbreak from this run of PB. The PB was made at a plant in Georgia but distributed all over many different areas, including mine.

I went downstairs and pulled my rather new jar of Peter Pan from the pantry and low and behold it starts with 2111. Thank God I had not used it yet for baking, icing or otherwise.

Please go check the code on the top of the lid if you have Peter Pan or Great Value brand peanut butter.

Lea..................texas

65 replies
faithsfancifuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faithsfancifuls Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 66

Ok.... I just looked at my lid of mostly eaten PB and it matches the code that is recalled!!! We did have a stomach sickness about a week ago, but it wasn't terrible!!! I also had to send a toy back today that was recalled, makes you wonder what is going on with the world. icon_confused.gif

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 66

We had a jar in our pantry that we were 2/3 of the way through with no incident.....threw it out anyway and got some JIF today!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 66

Yep, we have two jars that came from that batch 2111. One has been opened and used a few days ago. I've been sick for two days now and I'm starting to wonder if the peanut butter was the cause. Who would have thought that peanut butter could have salmonella? Geeeez.

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 66

I had a 2111 jar that my children and I all have eaten from; but we didn't get sick, thank God. I chunked it anyway. :-/

Teekakes Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithsfancifuls

Ok.... I just looked at my lid of mostly eaten PB and it matches the code that is recalled!!! We did have a stomach sickness about a week ago, but it wasn't terrible!!! I also had to send a toy back today that was recalled, makes you wonder what is going on with the world. icon_confused.gif

You are lucky! Some people are getting very sick and it is lasting for 5 to 7 days. Your stomach sickness may have very well been caused from the peanut butter.

Lea

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 66

note that it isn't positive that all jars are infected - they are just being cautious. betting most will be just fine - so no need for unencessary worry.

tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 66

Lea, I'm so glad you posted this! I saw that on the news last night as well.

Teekakes Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut

Yep, we have two jars that came from that batch 2111. One has been opened and used a few days ago. I've been sick for two days now and I'm starting to wonder if the peanut butter was the cause. Who would have thought that peanut butter could have salmonella? Geeeez.

They are recommending people to go to the Dr. if you having recently eaten this particular PB and having symptoms of salmonella. Maybe you should go just to be safe.?

Lea

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 11:34pm
post #10 of 66

I had a 3lb jar that was 1/4 eaten. I just chucked it. thanks so much for posting!

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 11:40pm
post #11 of 66

Mine started with 2111 icon_surprised.gif but so far so good thumbs_up.gif .

kms2402 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kms2402 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 11:40pm
post #12 of 66

Thanks for the info!!!!

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 11:40pm
post #13 of 66

Eeewww . . . we had an open jar of 2111 peanut butter, too! Into the trash it goes!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 11:42pm
post #14 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut

That's what I am wondering!? icon_confused.gif

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 11:43pm
post #15 of 66

We had 4 jars! icon_eek.gif I was almost completely gone and I had just opened another one. The scary thing is dh eats pb&j almost everyday for lunch and ds loves pb&j too and has been eating a bit of it lately!

I sent an e-mail to all my friends with kids and one who is pregnant in case they didn't see it anywhere.

alip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alip Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 12:05am
post #16 of 66

I have two jars. One hasn't been opened but the other one is almost empty - my son and I had peanut butter from it yesterday but are fine. According to the news, the grocery stores in south Florida will allow you to bring the jars back and get new ones.

hazelina82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelina82 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 12:09am
post #17 of 66

I just heard about it in the news! How horrible. I'm not much of a peanut butter fan but I hope this forum warns people to check their jars!

kden3980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kden3980 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 12:10am
post #18 of 66

I had one too, and it went directly into the trashicon_wink.gif

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 12:12am
post #19 of 66

I had a jar as well and of course it is now in the trash. My kids eat it almost everyday but thankfully they have not gotten sick. My neighbors took their 2 year old into the hospital this morning because he was really sick with what they think is salmonella. I am pregnant so that made me really worried but thankfullly I have not gotten sick either. I read that they think it was dirty machinery or equipment that caused the contanimation since the high heat of cooking the peanuts would most likely kill salmonella.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 12:18am
post #20 of 66

I have a jar of it too. I checked ConAgra's Website. If you have one of the jars with the # starting in 2111, they are advising you to throw it out. Keep the lid with the # on it. You can send the lid to them at ConAgra Foods, PO Box 3768, Omaha, NE 68103 and they will send you a refund.

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 12:20am
post #21 of 66

Okay, we had some too. Thanks for posting the information!

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 12:34am
post #22 of 66

Thanks for the info, I checked mine and the printed code next to the date is 17:21 = guess I am ok??
It's not on the lid but the jar top itself....

I shared with my friends, thanks!! icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 12:45am
post #23 of 66

I have 2 jars too! One is nearly gone & the other one not opened. My goodness this stuff is all over the USA! That is crazy! So we have to mail the lids in.. we can't bring them back to the store we bought them from & get a refund? My goodness I love my Peter Pan PB but is sure is expensive just to throw away. Thanks Price for that info & sending the lids in~ I hope noone else gets sick from this. It's really scary!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 12:48am
post #24 of 66

LOL... I just read the address again... Omaha, NE... where the ICES convention is this year!! Thought that was funny~ icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

alip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alip Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 12:51am
post #25 of 66

tcturtleshell - The stores in my area are allowing customers to bring the jars back to the store instead of having to mail the lids to ConAgra. You may want to check with stores in your area.

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 12:56am
post #26 of 66

I have a half eaten jar in my house not to mention the one we just threw away last Friday. We LOVE PB!! I'm just glad we all haven't gotten sick!!

darlene_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlene_000 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 12:57am
post #27 of 66

Thanks for the warning--- I had a half eaten Great value jar that was 2111 also-- tossed it in the trash just to be safe.

Teekakes Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 1:03am
post #28 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

I have 2 jars too! One is nearly gone & the other one not opened. My goodness this stuff is all over the USA! That is crazy! So we have to mail the lids in.. we can't bring them back to the store we bought them from & get a refund? My goodness I love my Peter Pan PB but is sure is expensive just to throw away. Thanks Price for that info & sending the lids in~ I hope noone else gets sick from this. It's really scary!

I heard you can take it back to the store you purchased it from or get the refund from ConAgra. I am taking ours back to the store so I can get another jar....................of Jiff or Organic.

Lea

NeeNee30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NeeNee30 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 1:17am
post #29 of 66

My oldest DS eats two (peter pan) PB sandwiches EVERYDAY for lunch, so when I heard about this this morning on GMA I went straight to the pantry to look, sure enough, it started with 2111!!! We are almost 3/4 of the way through it. He hasn't been sick or anything, so hopefully we didn't get a contaminated jar!!! But into the trash it went!

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 2:25am
post #30 of 66

Are they sure those are the only two brands that are in question? I've been a Simply Jiff Peanut Butter fan for a long time because it has less sugar than other brands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%