If Out Of Saran Wrap.....

Baking By m0use Updated 5 May 2005 , 3:59am by stephanie214

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 11

I was baking cakes 2 days ago, and while wrapping them up to freeze I realized that I was going to run out of saran wrap. I was not up to going out to the store...and hubby had just left the grocery store so I was not going to send him back in for 1 thing. So I decided to try my glad press'n seal. Boy does that work nice cause you can actually seal the cake in it pretty good. I still wrapped my cakes in the freezer paper after that, but in a pinch it worked great. I will still use plastic wrap because it's cheaper, but in a pinch it will do.

10 replies
Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 11

Love that idea!. I would think that it would be a tighter seal with press and seal, just never thought about it. I still haven't tried to freeze cakes yet, but it's on my list. Wonderful tip!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 11

yeah that press and seal is great....I also have one of those little machines that suck the air out and seal....when my hubby was in the desert I made him choc chip cookies and put them in there cuz I didnt know how long it would take to get them to him, or if he would eat them quickly...he said they looked a wierd coloring but was daring enough to open and try one... though it was a little discolored they tasted great. So I suppose I should use it more often..but when I dont I use my press and seal stuff

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 11

May I ask how far ahead can you bake and freeze your cakes.....and can you tell they were frozen when you go to eat them????
Thanks,
cakegal

m0use Posted 2 May 2005 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegal

May I ask how far ahead can you bake and freeze your cakes.....and can you tell they were frozen when you go to eat them????
Thanks,
cakegal

I bake and freeze my cakes up to a week before I need to decorate my cakes. And no one can tell that I froze the cake. I make sure that it is well wrapped so that freezer burn does not come in and ruin it.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 3 May 2005 , 4:37am
post #6 of 11

m0use...that is so good to know. That stuff is a marvel!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 3 May 2005 , 8:50am
post #7 of 11

I went to our commissary.... and they dont sell it anymore.... I ran out, I cant believe it... this base is closing before it closes..... Cant wait to leave! So now I bought more saran wrap, and will wait to buy anything else until we are at our new home!.

m0use Posted 3 May 2005 , 6:18pm
post #8 of 11

I also love the press 'n seal for my plastic containers that I can't find lids for. I have had stuff in my lunch, with the stuff laying on it's side, and nothing has leaked out yet.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 3 May 2005 , 6:31pm
post #9 of 11

I too haven't tried the cake freezing but I plan to in the near future. I work full time and don't get off work until 5:30 in the evenings. I have an hour drive to get home, so I don't begin to bake my cakes until around 7:00 p.m. By the time it cools enough to begin to put the icing on, it's about 8:30 or 9:00 p.m...then comes the decorating! I like to take my time on them, so many times, it's after midnight by the time I get my kitchen cleaned. I have got to try the freezing cake method! I have a cake to bake for Friday. I think I'll bake it up on Wednesday night, freeze it and put it in the fridge to thaw out Friday morning for decorating when I get home. That would save me a couple of hours time. Thanks to all of you for all the wonderful tips!! Dunno how I did without this place for so long!!

m0use Posted 3 May 2005 , 6:52pm
post #10 of 11

Hey, we're glad to be able to help you. I love freezing my cakes to help save on time, I swear that it actually helps make the cake moister- but that's my opinion take it or leave it.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 5 May 2005 , 3:59am
post #11 of 11

I also freeze my cakes. No one can tell the difference and it is moistier. thumbs_up.gif Have to try the press and seal icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%