Son Deployed....how Long Will No Fail Cookies Last?

Baking By dlp Updated 16 Jul 2007 , 11:50am by dlp

dlp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlp Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 54

I have a son deployed....i sent a package with the no fail sugar cookies (with royal icing) for him and his platoon.....i mailed them 3 weeks ago...he still doesn't have them.... it may be two more weeks before he gets them...do you think they'll be ok?

i also made "lollipops" out of the wilton chocolate ..do you think they will be ok too?

Thanks, Donna usaribbon.gif

53 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 54

The longest we've ever kept them was 3 weeks, and they were fine at that point. I've never tried keeping them longer, and the only reason we kept them three weeks was as an experiment. We love those things. icon_rolleyes.gif They may be a wee bit on the stale side, but from my experience, they're pretty hardy and will probably be fine. I hope he gets them soon, though, it makes me nuts when packages are late getting where they're going.

As long as the chocolate pops don't get hot, they should be fine. I've got candy melts in colors I don't use often that are two years old, and whenever I need them, they're fine. Even if they melt a little, they'll still taste good.

Deanna

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 54

i don't know if this helps...

but a customer of mine sent a cake to her son in iraq....they put it in one of those thingys that sucks the air out....

it arrived (ugly as heck)....but still good.

kellylowe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellylowe Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 54

Where has your son been deployed to? My husband was in Iraq for 18months, and I sent him packages weekly. It ususally took about one week for him to get his packages. Unless it was Christmas time and the mail would back up. I sent cookies, and toffee among other things. The cookies are the things that held up the best.

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 54

How did you package the cookies?

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 54

I hope your son receives the cookies, but more importantly my thoughts and best wishes are with him and the others in Iraq. Let him know that even if he doesn't get the cookies, we are all praying they come home safely.

dlp Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 54

thanks for the replies.....

Deanna....i put them in goodie bags....and tied them tight with riboon.....so hopefully not much air has gotten to them, maybe they will be ok to eat....especially if yours were still ok after 3 weeks...

littlecake i might look into the thing that sucks the air out....i can't think of what it is called

kellylowe.....right now my son is on ship....i can't say where...(i know you understand)...it is taking a long time for mail to get to him...

i'm just hoping they aren't too stale......i'll let everyone know when i hear from him about the cookies and pops

Donna usaribbon.gif

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:42pm
post #8 of 54

My brother just returned from a year in Iraq this fall....please tell your son thank you for his service. And lots of prayers and hugs your way!!

april

Lexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lexy Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 54

Very nicely said 'mgdqueen' I second that. My best friend goes out next week, so please let us know in what state he recieves the cookies. All the best

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:47pm
post #10 of 54

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND ALL OF OUR MEN AND WOMEN SERVING OUR NATION.

I was deployed back during 9-11 and we always received packages from family, friends and strangers..... we sometimes got some 2 months out and for the most part everything was good, even the cookies..... during 9/11 it was HOT in the gulf do the chocolate didn't hold up too well, but that isn't to say yours won't make it.. I am sure it will. What a great idea... wish there was something we could all do for the men and women from their CakeCentral supporters.... maybe find a platoon and sponsor it and make them good and fat, because I know that MRE's and ship chow hall meals are awful! usaribbon.gif

dlp Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:48pm
post #11 of 54

LanaC ...i put everything in separate goodie bags ....50......whew! and tied them tight with curling ribbon....(pink at that...but it was for Valentines icon_biggrin.gif )....lots of bubble wrap......you don't even want to know what it cost to send it icon_eek.gif .....(but trust me i don't mind...its the least i can do)

mgdqueen thank you for your prayers.....my son is a Marine....and they are usually not in safe places....so I will take all the prayers i can get for him....i don't go to bed at night without praying for him, his Marines and all our service members....

Donna usaribbon.gif

LanaC Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:49pm
post #12 of 54

My husband was there for a year. When I sent stuff, I would usually "pretty package" it and then ziplock that baby tight. Most of his items would only take about two weeks, though. I'm sure the cookies will be fine.

dlp Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:58pm
post #13 of 54

ape, lexy, SouthernSuzieSweets

thanks for your replies.....like i said...can't really say where he is....I know you all understand.

I will tell you that as a Mom the hardest thing i have ever had to do is tell him bye......

You are all so sweet....you're bringing tears to my eyes.....which granted these days come all to easy! icon_cry.gif

SSS....thank you for your service to our country.....glad to know the stuff you received was still in good condtion even after some extended time months...

i just wanted to do something for my son and his platoon.....it will be interesting to see what these Marines think about all that pink stuff!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

dlp Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 3:00pm
post #14 of 54

i hadn't thought about ziplock bags.....thats a good idea......i could get one of those really big ones they make now....(to get 50 in)....thanks....

LanaC Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 3:01pm
post #15 of 54

If they're anything like my husband's group, they'll think that pink tastes pretty daggone good. icon_biggrin.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 3:04pm
post #16 of 54

It's called a foodsaver... It's AWESOME thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif If you send them again I would definitely recommend it. You could vacuum pack each item separately if you wanted to. icon_smile.gif

Lexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lexy Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 3:05pm
post #17 of 54

dlp, you are such a brilliant women, you have brang tears to my eyes, all of you are great. I bet your cookie will go down a treat.

SouthernsuziesSweets, I think that is a brilliant idea!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 3:13pm
post #18 of 54

Donna,
My son is in the Army and cookies double wrapped lasted over a month (between my decorating them and sending them). My nephew was on the Roosevelt at sea in Iraq (ship staying there the longest time) and his took awhile to get to him but they still tasted great to him. Army food is worse than ship food, so he will be fine!
God bless and keep ALL our soldiers safe!!

Tscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tscookies Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 3:19pm
post #19 of 54

"What a great idea... wish there was something we could all do for the men and women from their CakeCentral supporters.... maybe find a platoon and sponsor it and make them good and fat, because I know that MRE's and ship chow hall meals are awful! usaribbon.gif[/quote]"

I'm in!! I'll be happy to bake cookies for our service men and women. Would you happen to know where we should send them?

dlp Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 3:30pm
post #20 of 54

ok....more tears......ya;ll are sooooo sweet and kind....

LanaC...that's what i thought....they'll think pink was a fine color for those cookies!!!

foxymomma521...thanks....foodsaver....will be getting one

lexy.....i think that's the first time in my life someone has called me brillant!!!! icon_biggrin.gif thanks

vickymacd....thanks for you son's service.....you're right...compared to some of the food they eat.....pink cookies will great!! icon_biggrin.gif

Tscookies....when i get back from taking my mom to the doctor...i will try to find some links for you about sending things to troops..

i'll be back on later....thank you everyone...you have may my day much brighter!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 3:32pm
post #21 of 54

Not a day goes by that I do not say a prayer for not only our troops but their families..... THANK YOU for your service usaribbon.gif
Oh, by the way.... I would venture a guess that those cookies could arrive in crumbs, and they would just lick the bags !! LOL!

dlp Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 12:56am
post #22 of 54

everyone...as soon as my son gets his package i will give you an update on the cookies....grama_i...thanks for the prayers.....

Tscookies.....here is the link i promised you.....i'm sure any soldier on it would be glad to get cookies!!....hope the link helps you!

http://anymarine.com/WhereToSend/

Donna usaribbon.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 1:02am
post #23 of 54

dlp: Please tell your son THANK YOU for his service to our country. Our Freedom isn't actually free, is it?

My prayers are with him but also with his mom!! 'Cause I'm a mom too!

Beth in KY

dlp Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 1:08am
post #24 of 54

Thanks Beth.....you are so right......freedom is not free....you just don't know how much it means to me to get support.....especially from people that don't even know me.....it is truly what keeps me going.......thanks for your prayers.....

Donna usaribbon.gif

Monica_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica_ Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 1:17am
post #25 of 54

Glad to see some good ideas on this topic of shipping out homebaked goods. I know someone who will be getting deployed soon. On the one hand, I supposed that prepackaged brownies and cookies would probably keep better but, I like the idea of shipping that "love" that comes with something homemade and from the heart better. icon_smile.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 1:27am
post #26 of 54

We have two young men in our church that are in Iraq. We just sent them boxes this week. The one young man is the same age as my twin sons. He loves chocolate fudge. So I sent him 3 lbs!!! Triple saran wrapped and in a tin. The other wanted Sam's trail mix and he got plenty!! We ended up sending 3 REALLY LARGE boxes! It cost over 68.00 to ship them!! LOLL

Our local post office (as I am sure all post offices) has a "special box" that you can ship as much as you can get in it for a little over 7.00/box. But, our stuff WILL NEVER fit!! I think I'm going to try and make some of my coconut toffee pecan chip cookies next time.

Beth

Pucka1378 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pucka1378 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 1:28am
post #27 of 54

First I can't even imagine sending one of my boys off to war.. it was hard enough when my husband had to go!

I am sure you cookies will be wonderful and they will be eaten very quickly!!! Home made goods do not last long at all!

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 2:02am
post #28 of 54

Thanks for that link.. I am posting for other branches too..... let's all do something to show we care!

http://anysailor.com/WhereToSend/

http://anysoldier.com/WhereToSend/

http://anyairman.com/WhereToSend/

http://anycoastguard.com/WhereToSend/

I know they would appreciate it. I also checked with the Post Office and the flat rate box costs $8.10 and can go to any FPO/APO address.. for those of you not military linked or don't come from a military background FPO/APO are military home-ported addresses linked to them like zipcodes... so YOU CAN USE FLAT RATERS! I will be putting some boxes together soon.... just remember the heat and if you are packing brittle items, maybe some foam peanuts.... Let's bring our men and women home safely, but keep them sweet treated until then...
Thanks for everyone who posted replies in this thread. I am so honored to know or feel like I know such wonderful people. My time in the Navy was worth every single day forward deployed in the middle of the Gulf, I will never regret it... my husband (a few years older than I) recently retired after 24 years.... we believe in the military and support all of our men and women. God Bless usaribbon.gif

Monica_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica_ Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 2:21am
post #29 of 54

Wow, thanks a LOT for the info about the flat rate boxes. I shipped a care package of goodies and little pocket games to a friend when she was deployed a year ago. The shipping cost more than the contents of the box, lmao. So I appreciate that tidbit greatly!

dlp Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 2:32am
post #30 of 54

Wow....i never dreamed my little question would generate such a great response!!! you are all wonderful!!!

Thanks SSS for posting the other branches....didn't mean to leave them out....after being married to a Marine for 30 years...and then having a son in the Marines....i have "tunnel" vision!!!! icon_surprised.gif

although i'm happy to know that the cookies i sent my son and his men will be fine....i'm most happy to think that some soldiers will get some home baked goodies because i asked a question!!

you guys are great!! thanks, Donna usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%