Grrr....acd And Mbn

Decorating By cakerator Updated 6 May 2007 , 2:18pm by moydear77

cakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerator Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 54

i still haven't received a subscription from either magazine and my DH ordered it for me in early december for a christmas present.
he said they already charged his credit card (also in december).

so, i just called customer service and the woman told me that they're working on updating their subscriber list so they won't have access to anyone's account until at least feb 26th - and thats not even guaranteed. icon_sad.gif
funny how they were able to take my money in a flash... apparently the billing/accounting system is in tiptop shape! icon_confused.gif

has anyone else had problems with this?

53 replies
karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 54

Not these magazines in particular, but it took me 5 months to get Chocolatier when I subscribed; now granted, it is only quarterly, but come on! And yes, the money was processed immediately.

Just think about how happy you will be when you finally get those magazines!

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 54

I haven't had it happen with those specific magazines, but I have had it happen with others. Just make sure you still get 12 actual issues not just a "your subscription started in december" and you don't get issues until march thing.

I also hate it when you get a magazine, realize it's terrific and then subscribe and the first issue you get is the one you just bought. I think they should give you an option to say "Please start my subscription in ______ " to avoid that stuff.

Good luck!
-Michelle

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 54

Magazine companies ought to at least send you their last issue when you subscribe! Hope you see it soon!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 54

Well, if that is the case, then they must be updating their subscriber list every single day!

They have a long-time reputation for being very slow to add people to their mailing label program. I was warned by some of my ICES chapter members that they would take their good old time getting my mags to me. I waited over 4 months from the time I subscribed until the time I got my first issue. I sent numerous e-mails before I finally got a response. The gentleman I heard from apologized for the delay, but also gave me the same spiel.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 54

ME TOO ME TOO!!! My mom ordered them for me for Christmas - well at least she ordered one of them I'm not sure which - are they produced by the same people?? I haven't gotten mine either!!! What is the number you called? Maybe I can call and complain too! If enough people complain maybe they'll get their butts in gear and get us our magazines! I really wanted the one that was out this month - I saw it at a cake decorating store.... but i don't want to go out and buy it - I've ALREADY paid for it (okay well my mom did). But what the crap? At least don't charge the credit card until you've gotten your subscriber list updated... that way you ensure you're not screwing over your customers.... and how LONG does it take to update a subscriber list? This is a business, right??? I never had issues with other magazines like Fitness or Self or anything else I ordered in the past..... makes me mad icon_mad.gif So who else is waiting for their magazines from December???

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 54

They're notoriously slow at mailing out magazines, especially new subscriptions. Just make sure you get all 12 of them in the end. All my friends get their ACDs a couple weeks before I do. Not sure what's up with that... I emailed customer service about it and I got a reply that they ask three weeks of being late before they check into it, or something like that. The current issue of ACD should have been mailed on the 12th, I think, so start looking for your first issue in a couple weeks. You can check mail-out dates on their website.

Deanna

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 54

Yup, I've been getting ACD for a while and recenlty subbed to MBN in October and am still waiting for my first copy of MBN. Plus, it takes about 4 weeks for me to get my ACD! icon_cry.gif

Courtney

cakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerator Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:46pm
post #9 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by imartsy

ME TOO ME TOO!!! My mom ordered them for me for Christmas - well at least she ordered one of them I'm not sure which - are they produced by the same people?? I haven't gotten mine either!!! What is the number you called? Maybe I can call and complain too! If enough people complain maybe they'll get their butts in gear and get us our magazines!

good idea imartsy! this is the # i called: 800-490-5671

i emailed them about a month ago and didn't hear anything back other than an automated 'thank you for contacting us... blah blah blah' email. so, thats why i decided to call. but that got me nowhere it seems. very frustrating. icon_sad.gif

imartsy Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 3:13pm
post #10 of 54

I just called. The guy on the phone was nice. They did say they would send me any back issues that I missed - so I guess I will get January & February's issues - I just won't get them until March icon_sad.gif he asked me to call back at the end of February..... I still think it's a bit crazy. And I said I was disappointed that I'd have to wait that long to get magazines ordered in December.... but maybe they'll be able to send me the magazines during the first two weeks of March.... I'm going to be at home recovering from a minor surgery so that would be great! icon_smile.gif I'm keeping my fingers crossed.....

I still think others should call though too - just bombard them with calls so they speed their process up of updating their database - someone needs to stay at work later or something so they can get their magazines out!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 3:43pm
post #11 of 54

I have also been more than a bit annoyed with ACD and their delivery. Because I live in Mexico, they had been sending the magazine to a distribution point in main land Mexico, instead of putting it in the mail, like a normal magazine. I was getting (and may again) the magazines at least 3 months late and many times not at all. We have complained uncountable times. The name below is the latest contact.

Brenda Johnson / Circulation Manager

Grace McNamara Inc.

P: 651.762-2007 F: 651.653-4308

<[email protected]>

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 7:34pm
post #12 of 54

You are not alone. A LOT of people (myself included) have had trouble getting their first issues. But they absolutely cash the checks as soon as they get them!

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 7:46pm
post #13 of 54

I tried to renew a different magazine for my DD. I paid the subscription and put our new address on it. It never came. I finally emailed the company and they said that they were not longer publishing that magazine and we would get a subscription to a completely different one. I wasn't happy at first because I didn't even know if what magazine it would be. It worked out for the best because DD had been wanting this one also.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 9:51pm
post #14 of 54

According to the ACD Monthly Slice (email) these are the mail dates for the next mags:

The ACD February/Mach 2007 issue will mail Feb. 12.
The MBN March/April issue will mail Feb. 26.

These are the dates they posted in the pervious month's email:

The ACD February/Mach 2007 issue will mail Feb. 5.
The MBN January/February issue mailed Dec. 22.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 5:54am
post #15 of 54

These are some dedicated people with a very small staff. When you place your order it can take up to two months for you to start getting them.

They are located a couple of cities away from me. The assistant is a member on this forum.

Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 7:40am
post #16 of 54

Hey guys... you think that's bad?? I subscribed in September '06 (yes FIVE months ago) and have received nothing! nada! zip! I have emailed on so many occasions and recieved the stock-standard reply from "wait 6 weeks after subscribing before the first magazine will arrive" to "they are updating their subscribers accounts"... I have just sent another email... fat good it will do - I just think they don't care... will see what happens with my last email.

It was comforting to hear that other people have had bad experience with these guys too!

-- Fi

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 3:48pm
post #17 of 54

Several years ago, I kept a subscription to ACD. It was a little slow in getting here, icon_sad.gif but I pretty much learned to live with that delay. Then, as I recall (and my memory not being what it used to be), the Editor or Publisher or someone up at the top suddenly died icon_eek.gif and it threw the magazine into turmoil. The publication was sold to the current (I believe) publishers, who knew little to nothing about the industry. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, figuring that sometimes fresh eyes will see what I didnt and perhaps it would be for the better of the magazine.

There were so many changes that were made so quickly that I barely had a month to get used to one new look when BAM! there would be a change to something that had just been changed. It became more and more difficult to find the magazine in the stores (my subscription was always behind the newsstand release, never did get an answer for that one!); we were told that they were tweaking the system to better conform with their production schedules, etc.; my mailbox was jammed on a weekly basis with letters and flyers and postcards telling me that I really NEEDED to renew my subscription NOW; suddenly they bought up MBN a great little magazine that I have enjoyed sporadically over the years, but had never subscribed to. Suddenly, I cant JUST renew ACD, I must now subscribe to BOTH magazines but since my ACD subscription is for such a long term, I discover that I will be paying for and receiving 2 copies of ACD while my MBN starts to come and guess what? I get 2 copies of ACD but never get MBN.

Now, I dont want to be unkind here, but I was beginning to wonder whose head was planted where, because my protestations seemed to be falling on deaf ears, my e-mails were not being answered, my phone calls were basically given lip service. I let my subscription expire and have not renewed or purchased another copy of either on the newsstand. I wrote the publishers a letter outlining my problems with the subscription and told them that in my opinion, they were not helping their company make money when they perform as they had been, and that filling my mailbox with paper had only served to irritate me, not get me to buy more from them. Why throw money at a current Client who may already be happy with you when you can kill a few less trees and send information to a POTENTIAL new customer by informing them of what you are selling? icon_confused.gif

Im happy to know that others are having some of the same issued I had, but very sad to learn that the publishers have not yet fixed their internal problems. icon_cry.gif They had better get it right soon, or they may very well find themselves out of business. (And, yes, like many of you, my checks were cashed/credit cards charged IMMEDIATELY, but there seemed to be a serious delay in receiving any issues until after I started to complain, and even then there was little, if any satisfaction. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif ).

Be the squeaky wheel, ladies if you keep calling/writing, they will eventually do something to make you happier customers, or go out of business. icon_sad.gif Hopefully your voices will be heard and make them a better company.

Odessa

imartsy Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 4:01pm
post #18 of 54

Wow I wish I had known this before my mom subscribed - I guess I could've just gotten it at the local store that carries it (granted there is only one store). Do you save any money by subscribing??

I do remember being angry at one other magazine b/c the newsstands & grocery stores got the magazine before I did - as a subscriber, I felt that I should get the magazine first - or at least not a week later. They told me that the benefit of being a subscriber was that I didn't have to go to the store to get the magazine.... um yeah but I gotta go to the grocery for food - so what kinda crap benefit is that??

ACD & MB are a lot harder to find here - I only know of one store that carries them and the store closes at 6:00 - hard to get to when you get off at 5:00 from work. But man are we really saving any money or just adding to our frustration? Maybe I should cancel my subscription.... does anyone know if you save any money by subscribing??

moydear77 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 4:10pm
post #19 of 54

I get mine on time every month. They are not some huge company out to get everyone. I know the staff from events and they are hardworking people that travel to all the shows and publish it for us to read.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 4:30pm
post #20 of 54

Keep in mind too that this isn't a monthly publication. If the subscription was ordered in December the next issue isn't until February anyway.

Debbie

imartsy Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 5:51pm
post #21 of 54

Oh I don't think anyone meant to imply they were "out to get us". And I'm sure they are nice people....

I thought they were monthly subscriptions - I've seen them in the store on a monthly basis - at least ACD..... And it was a "12 month" subscription - doesn't that mean monthly??

I truly understand that they have a lot of work to do and with a small staff that can be difficult - I think our frustration is in the fact that they don't state anything on their website (at least I didn't see it -maybe I missed it) that a subscription would take so long to get. Especially around Christmas time they should have some kind of disclaimer statement so that people aren't all worried and upset that they haven't gotten their magazine. ANOTHER remedy would be to not charge people's credit cards or cash their checks until they send out the first issue. Or at least maybe a week or two before they send out the first issue - don't charge a card or cash a check and then not produce a product for 3 months without any notification......that's what's upsetting people. There still needs to be some kind of confirmation and disclaimer automatic e-mail that gets sent out or something - that's not really hard to do to set up an auto-reply e-mail that says "we received your subscription order and will process your card. You should receive your first issue in _______"

If there truly was a death over there or something like that then I feel truly sorry for them - but it's a wake up call maybe that they need to have some policies and procedures in place that are ongoing - even if a member of their team has to leave or just quits or God forbid - dies - there should still be a more streamlined process for adding new clients and getting them their magazines in a timely fashion. I don't know a lot about the magazine business, but I just can't understand why keeping an up to date database seems to be sooooo difficult. Sorry - I just don't understand it. I worked in a company that had about 200 independent distributors and our office was basically 2 people - we still got product out in a fairly timely manner and kept up to date databases and e-mail lists. Granted that was only 200 people but still - it can be done.

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 6:03pm
post #22 of 54

I subscribed back in November, the money was charged immediately and I was told my subscription would arrive in 6-8 weeks.

Right.

GatuPR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GatuPR Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 6:32pm
post #23 of 54

Let me start by saying that I do not subscribe to this two magazines, and even though the people that work there are nice, from what I read, they are running a business and people are paying for a service. My opinion, next time you call, tell them you next call is going to be to your local Office of Consumer Affairs and/or the Better Business Bureau Office or just file a formal complaint with them. If they are so short on personnel, how come they do not have problems charging peoples credit cards on time??? Just my humble opinion.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 6:41pm
post #24 of 54

I can't remember the magazine it was but I subscribed and bought the current issue. Well, wouldn't you know they sent me a back issue the one I gotten.

I order magazines for gifts and it usually takes about 8 weeks.

I tend to agree with moydear. I'm sure the company like many others are understaffed.

moydear77 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 7:06pm
post #25 of 54

They have done a lot of changing such as the punblishing and such. As far as the death the only death I know of is Susan O'boyle who won the Candy Castle challenge and passed away a day later.
CC and Checks I would think that someone would want their check cashed right away. I hate having checks sit for months without being cashed.

Both magazines are bi monthly and if you happen to subscibe then yes you will not get the next issues until print goes out.

GatuPR
I am sure the CC system is automated on computer.

imartsy Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 8:33pm
post #26 of 54

moydear,

You are right, I usually like to have my CC or check cashed right away - but I also like to receive my product right away too. If there was some notice of a delay of some kind, then it wouldn't have been such a big deal - just make your customers aware that it normally takes X amount of weeks to receive their product. For me, it's more about awareness than anything else.

The issue is - that if people don't know the magazine well or don't come to boards like this - then they might think the magazine is acting fishy and they may charge back the amount to their card.... then it would cost the company more b/c they lose the money and they have to pay a chargeback fee. Then they've lost a potential customer and lost money. All they have to do is make customers aware of the delay....... or find a way to lessen the delay time.

moydear77 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 8:43pm
post #27 of 54

I was told right away that my subsciption could take up to two months to start. I was patient and by golly it came.

I know the staff and respect them a great deal. It is just tiring hearing people say hurtful things on this board.

Such as yesterday when someone made a comment about the CCC girls acting stoned. And of course poor Mary from the show reads the thread and replies to it.

I know that Kimberly Anderson the assistant to the editor is a member. I would not like to come to a board that is bad mouthing me. or the job I do.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 8:55pm
post #28 of 54

What is MBN and who are the CCC girls? I never expect to start receiving any new magazines for at least a couple months. I always get excited about getting something I order or subscribe to too but you have to realize there is a process to putting you into a new system and it all takes time.

moydear77 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 8:56pm
post #29 of 54

CCC Charm City cakes

MBN Mail Box News

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 9:53pm
post #30 of 54

I've had ACD from the beginning when Adlyn Hart and her husband published it. Then it became too big and too much time and she sold it to the guy who died within like 2 months or so. Grace McNamera publishing stepped in and bought it, I believe that was 3 years ago, but I'm not positive. They are a bi-monthly magazine and I usually get the magazine 3 weeks after the web site says it's mailed (not sure why, probably the postal service). They have done well getting contributions from well known cake artists, I'm just bummed because I had 2 articles published in ACD before but the new editors aren't interested.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%