My Fondant Bows Keep Breaking!!!

Decorating By kika Updated 11 Aug 2004 , 2:00pm by Zabrip

kika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kika Posted 5 Aug 2004 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 7

icon_sad.gif I tried making my fondant bows, and thought everything was turning out great, until 24 hrs. later when i tried getting them off the broom and they all crumbled to the ground!! i dont know whats wrong or what to do!!! does anyone have any advice? please i really need to make this bow icon_cry.gif

6 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 6 Aug 2004 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 7

If I read your post right your letting them dry on the broom stick???

Just put them there to kinda dry some while making them.. Then take them off the stick and stuff them with cotton balls and let them dry laying on there side or flat.. There is a step by step in the articles section that may help you...

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 6 Aug 2004 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kika

icon_sad.gif I tried making my fondant bows, and thought everything was turning out great, until 24 hrs. later when i tried getting them off the broom and they all crumbled to the ground!! i dont know whats wrong or what to do!!! does anyone have any advice? please i really need to make this bow icon_cry.gif

It may be that they were not all the way dried.
When they fell apart, did you notice that they seemed slightly pliable, but just cracked and broke? If that's the case, let them dry even longer, because they aren't quite dry enough.

This often happens in more humid areas.

HERE ARE SOME TIPS:
To dry, you can place the formed Gum paste piece on waxed paper and turn it carefully once a day to ensure even drying.

But, don't put Gum paste in an low temperature oven to dry!
While placing pieces near a heat source, such as an oven light, may hasten drying, the oven itself will not work.

You can also place pieces in front of a fan, especially if it is humid outside. To speed drying, you can lay it on pieces of Styrofoam which allows air to circulate on both sides. (Sprinkle your foam square with cornstarch and work it in with your fingers. Then, lay the shape on the foam).

Zabrip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zabrip Posted 9 Aug 2004 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 7

Could it be that they stuck to the broom stick ? and they fell apart when you tried to get them off. I have see that technique where you use a horizontal rod that is supported on either side to dry the bows and give them that shape, so I know that technique works. All i can think of is that your fondant was just way too thin or they just stuck to the stick. Dusting the stick with corn starch will help prevent sticking.

Chef_leslie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_leslie Posted 11 Aug 2004 , 1:28am
post #5 of 7

hello! i got this great tip on how to make fondant bows. instea of drying it on a stick. try drying them on a cookie sheet sideways. to form the loops you can stuff the loops with tissue or paper towels. ti would be easier to remove them and you can even make the loops bigger too. icon_biggrin.gif good luck on your next fonant bow.

kika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kika Posted 11 Aug 2004 , 3:56am
post #6 of 7

icon_sad.gif When i posted this i was in search for an answer, i cant tell you how much all of your opinions helped. Unforetunetly once i put my bow together it came out alllll wrong!!! icon_cry.gif I guess i just need more practice with the "bow building" but thanks to everybody's great advice making the bows alone, will no longer be my problem, but i wont give up, hopefully i will get it right soon. i saw my mistakes and will know not to make them next time
thank you all, kika
P.S. i was however able to make a small bow nothing like the one i planned but its better then nothing!!! icon_smile.gif

Zabrip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zabrip Posted 11 Aug 2004 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 7

Thats what it all about practice practice practice...!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%