Mmf Vs. Traditional Fondant

Decorating By jaklotz1 Updated 15 Feb 2007 , 2:30pm by ellepal

jaklotz1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaklotz1 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 7

I am taking a fondant class and asked my instructor about using MMF to cover cakes. She said that the MMF is ok for decorations, but that the quality of the MMF was not high enough to use to cove cakes with. I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on this matter. Is MMF okay to use when covering cakes or should you use Traditional Fondant?

Thanks for you help.

6 replies
moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 7

I have used it but personally think that MMF is not as forgiving as bought. I use Satin Ice.

katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 7

I have covered cakes with NO problems using MMF. I love it! The ONLY thing about MMF is if you have to cover a three tiered cake then you will be making MMF for about a week to make enough. So, you might be a little tired. But, I have covered cakes 3 pics in my photos using mmf.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 7

I have used mmf and make the Wilton recipe from scratch -- both are good, and definitely taste better, but I agree that they aren't as forgiving as the pre-made. They tear more easily, imho, when covering larger cakes. They also are harder to keep smooth. I recently did a cake with pre-made and had no problems at all, whereas when I use my own, the "skin" kept bubbling a bit.

I'm sure there are those out there who have perfected their mmf to the point that it's perfect, but I just haven't had that experience.

Would definitely go with a different brand than Wilton for premade though -- it's disgusting to taste!

Sarah

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 7:45am
post #5 of 7

fondant recipes are generally based on sugar and gelatin- which is marshmallow. There are a couple more ingredients in home-made fondant, and several more in ready-made.

Try them both to see which you like better. I often mix them together, some home made, some ready made. The recipe I use seems to make less mess than MMF. There are some decorators that only use MMF.

If you have never used fondant before, using a ready-made is a really good idea. Even if it is Wilton. At least you will know what it is supposed to feel like, and how it should work. You don't have to eat it.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 7

you don't have to eat it, but someone will . . . lol

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:30pm
post #7 of 7

I use mmf on all of my wedding cakes, and they come out smooth and nice. I like working with it better than commercial bought. The trick to it is not rolling it too thin. I also use the cake spackle method by Toba Garrett (you can read about it in her books) for maximum smoothness. It is a pain to make, but so much cheaper than Satin Ice. You can always make it ahead in double batches and store it in the off-season. It comes back to life with some microwave heat and kneading in a little crisco.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%