If You Were Bride2B, What Would You Want To See At Bridal Sh

Decorating By koppeskreations Updated 17 Feb 2007 , 12:39am by mypastrychef

koppeskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koppeskreations Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 16

If you were a bride to be what would you want to see at a bridal show from a cake decorator advertising there business?

I personally think at least a fondant covered cake and samples.

Thanks all Nikki

15 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 16

I would want to see several different style cakes showing your versitility.....Nicely decorated booth,samples would be nice but wouldn't be necessary for me...brochures,business cards,other things like petit fours if you do them,cupcake wedding cakes,cookie favors etc..all the popular cakes and colors that are in now.

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 16

A variety of styles and a variety of color. I would rather see a quality portfolio than worry about tasting samples. I could settle for a mediocre taste, but not a mediocre appearance. Oh, and true story from an expo I attended, make sure whoever works your booth has clean nails. icon_cool.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

Oh, and true story from an expo I attended, make sure whoever works your booth has clean nails.

Ditto that!!!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 16

I think I would like to see a variety of cake shapes, in both fondant and buttercream. Being a flower lover, would like to see the range of flowers that can be ordered. Also, maybe even cookie favors!

deb

koppeskreations Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks all

I have just been trying to decide, what to show and all. I will have both a photo ablum and also a laptop with a power point presentation going so people walking by and not stopping or those waiting can see also.

I was thinking of doing 3 cakes for display. I might do some cupcakes now also to serve and cake samples.

Thanks Nikki

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 16

Your cupcakes could be your samples if you fill them. Have a nice cupcale display that also becomes part of your samples. You would have to make extra cupcakes so that your display stays full until near the end of the day. Just an idea. The rest of your cakes could be display dummies showing a variety of designs and having a portfolio book of work you have done in the past is always a great way for brides to see what you can do. If I were looking I would want to see one example of modern design, one traditional ornate, and one simplistic design at the very minimum. Just some ideas.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 6:15am
post #8 of 16

I agree with everyone else! What comes to mind for me is different shapes, a fondant covered cake....and even a chocolate wedding cake (bc or fondant). If you're into it....wedding favors might be a nice touch such as cookies!

One other thought....a cupcake tower since those are so popular right now! That would show a lot of versitility!

tammylenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammylenz Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 6:26am
post #9 of 16

I agree with seeing a good portfolio with good visible photos and then maybe a couple of your most popular bridal cakes for display.

lables12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lables12 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 11:12pm
post #10 of 16

I would make some modern designs, not traditional white ones (maybe one)...but something very cool/modern because everyone knows you can get a simple white traditional, but I think you can really catch the eye with something original. Also, maybe the new trend is a mini cake for each table that can feed the amount of people at each table, so maybe do up a few of those they look really nice. Maybe make some nice decorated wedding type cookies for people to take and also give them ideas for favours for their wedding. I watched Bridezillas today and the cake cost I believe 3,000 or something crazy.

Nikki_B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki_B Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 11:23pm
post #11 of 16

I'd like to see a good variety of everything from traditional to modern cakes in a portfolio and maybe one modern and one traditional dummy cake. A lot of bridal show cakes seem to go overboard on frilly-ness and flowers.. a lot of people like flowers but some people would rather not have them all over their cake, heh! Diversity is a strength I think.

Along with a portfolio of wedding cakes I'd also like to just see other themed cakes, etc.. Creativity/worksmanship impresses me. I've seen some beautiful wedding cakes but I'd be more likely to go with someone who also made party cakes, etc and I knew that they did more than just white frosting and flowers and could possibly have more creative ideas to make my cake even better.

Some testimonials from past customers are always good, too. I'd also try to include somewhere what you can do with your cakes-- i.e. make them from scratch or from a boxed mix (doctored or otherwise), whether you use real butter and cream for buttercream frosting (not crisco, etc). and other things like that, that are selling points.

Also if you're giving samples really focus on the taste of the cake! I went to a bridal show recently and sampled some cake from bakers that had absolutely BEAUTIFUL cakes, and it was dry and crumbly and the icing was just greasy, like sweet lard. No matter how beautiful the cake is, it has to taste phenominal!

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 11:36pm
post #12 of 16

I would like to see several different made up flowers on display so I could choose what flowers I would want on my cake rather then just seeing a picture. I would also like to see cake and filling flavors listed on a sheet that I could take home with me. Maybe a sampling of some colors. I think alot of people are afraid to put their prices out on display. But if I were a bride, that's what I'm looking for-Prices. I would make my price sheets very easy to understand. Something where I wouldn't have to add $1 per person for fondant, .50 per flower etc. That can just turn a person off. I need simplicity. Don't be afraid to show prices. I would also like to know a little bit about the person that I am purchasing my wedding cake from.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 5:31am
post #13 of 16

Pricing. Brides want to know how much things are going to cost. Even if it's a ".....pricing starts at $xxx per (cake....person...whatever)". At least give them an idea of where to start.

Brides have told me that if pricing is not on a website, they click out and move on. I would bet they are looking for the same info at a bridal show.

koppeskreations Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 10:45pm
post #14 of 16

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas

Here is what I think I will be doing

I have one display cake that has writing all over the sides, in butter creme

I have one square cake 3 tier, fondant with the ribbion around the bottom edges.

I will have a video that will be running for all to watch of cakes that I have done, from weddings, birthdays, baby showers etc...

Display book with all photos in it

Brochures to take with

Business Cards of course

I think I may make some sugar favor cookies

Wedding cake samples, White Sour Cream Almond, with Raspberry filling
Chocolate with Baileys Chocolate Mouse

I may do a cupcake display

With of course a elegant display for all to sit on.

I think I covered my bases.

Thanks again for all the ideas

NIkki

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 12:07am
post #15 of 16

Your business license/Health Inspection Certificate. I would put it up, so brides know your legit.

I'd say watch out what you do with the cupcake display! I set up a mini-cupcake tower (with 300 mini's) The brides went NUTS over it, I already have 6 booked for this season.

And be prepared for "How much is THIS cake?" When you should never answer $XXX. Because then they expect just that!

icon_smile.gif PM me if you have more questions, I just did my show, and it was very successful. Or check out the "Cake Decorationg Business" Forum, there's lots in there that are pro's at shows!

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 12:39am
post #16 of 16

I just did a show and I printed 350 sheets with our prices
I brought one photo album.
I brought a combo of dummies and real cakes that were served.
I served about 550 pieces of Fondant covered white almond cake on white napkins. This was a smart move to serve the same flavor in a variety of designs. People were choosing the cake to sample based on the designs... crazy!

I have 4 appointments booked and 1 wedding booked within the first 3 days after the show.

My booth rental was $395 for 10x10 with 2 covered tables
Here is a photo of the back of our booth
mpc
www.mypastrychef.com
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%