Adoption Baby Shower

Decorating By duggerdesign Updated 18 Feb 2007 , 12:48am by Nikki_B

duggerdesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duggerdesign Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 3:04am
post #1 of 21

Does anyone have an idea for an adoption baby shower? I know I can use ideas from the baby shower section but I thought someone might have seen a fun idea. I will be giving the shower after she has the baby. (I have an adopted son so I don't want to offend anyone with my question.)

20 replies
cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 9:03am
post #2 of 21

What a great request! My best friend is in the early process of adoption and I'll have to keep an eye on this post for ideas! My daughter was also adopted by my wonderful husband after we were married! One thing to keep in mind for a gift, not to get off topic, Precious Moments makes an adoption figurine.....my in-laws' best friends bought it for us when Chloe's adoption was final! It's beautiful....would make a great cake topper/gift!

braggmama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
braggmama2 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 21

My son is adopted from anther country. The baby showers given for him were just like the ones given for my daughter (she was a surprise icon_lol.gif ). If you know the circumstances involved in the adoption maybe you could build a theme around those, if appropriate. I found some website that you might find useful:

http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/badoption/0,,adoptivefamilies_94j0qm9t,00.html

http://www.preggiepeggy.com/adoptshower.htm

http://baby-shower.yeahbaby.com/article.php?page=19

Good luck! icon_lol.gif

val_nutrimetics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
val_nutrimetics Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 21

I have actually made a cake for an 'adoption shower' once before! icon_biggrin.gif My parents are foster parents, and they took in a 2 day old little boy last July. He was only there until social services found an adoptive family for him. He stayed with us until the second week of December. When they found him parents, I decided that we should give him a sort of going away/adoption shower. I used an idea from the Wilton Celebrate with Fondant book, and made a huge stork, but instead of the stork bringing the baby to the parents, I put the stork bringing parents to the baby.
I don't know the circumstances of your friend's adoption, but that might work! icon_wink.gif

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 21

What sort of adoption is it? If it's international, what country? If you could give us a few more details of the adoption, I know I could pick my brain a little better for you!!! Congrats to your friend! My best friend from high school has a little girl from China and they are adopting another one soon! Michelle

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 21

I think val_nutrimetics' idea is great with the stork bringing the parents to the baby!

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be great. Don't forget to post pictures when you are done!

Jen

braggmama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
braggmama2 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 21

Love the stork bringing the parents to the baby! What a great idea val_nutrimetics! Will have to share with my fellow adoptive friends.

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 21

Another one I've seen is a baby or stork and the saying on the cake is usually "Hand Picked"

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 21

If the baby is from another country, maybe a globe cake and the stork flying the baby from the particular country to the states?

Love the stork idea!!

Lu

duggerdesign Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:32am
post #10 of 21

Thanks for the fun ideas. The baby is from the states so a world theme would not work but I really like the stork idea.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:50am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by duggerdesign

Thanks for the fun ideas. The baby is from the states so a world theme would not work but I really like the stork idea.

Same idea except with the US... If they are coming from a different state then have a flight path shown from one state to the other with the stork flying in between.

Or if withen the same state but opposite sides, same idea as above.

How old is the child they are adopting? My former boss adopted a 10 yr old boy and they at an Adoption Party "shower" and everyone came to welcome the boy to the family and brought him and the parents things they might need (lol even though this was the couples 7th child I thought this was a great way to welcome the child)

Our boss had requested a cake with the childs interest on it. I believe most of them were sports.

HTH

And congratulations to your friend!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:52am
post #12 of 21

oh, also forgot. My great aunt and uncle were foster parents for awhile and then they decided to adopt the last two foster children they had. When they were officially adopted we had a "welcome" party and had a welcome to the family cake.

They were also younger, one was less than a year and the other one was about 2 1/2.

Paintedlady201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paintedlady201 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 8:49am
post #13 of 21

I'll be the voice of dissent on this one and say that I would make the cake the same as if the baby is not adopted.

Both of my kids are adopted and the last thing I would've wanted was to have the reminder that we were different than a regular family. Please just treat this family the same way you would any other family bringing home a new baby. There will be enough people in their lives constantly "reminding" them that they're different, let them have this moment to just feel normal.

I hope I didn't offend anyone.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 4:54pm
post #14 of 21

That is a good point to consider, Paintedlady201. Especially if there was a long struggle with pregnancy, they may be sensitive about being treated differently.

Since this is a shower that duggerdesign is personally throwing for a friend, I'm guessing that she has a feel for the situation, and feels that an adoption cake is appropriate. I love butterflyjuju's idea of hand picked!

duggerdesign Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 7:31pm
post #15 of 21

Thanks for your input. This is my friend's second adoption and her first is a very very open adoption (as well as mine). I don't think she will be offended--she would celebrate more that God brought this baby to her in a special way. Though I do know each person has different feelings.

Paintedlady201 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 12:50am
post #16 of 21

I promise I'm not trying to fight with you. icon_biggrin.gif My adoptions are also very open, but I guess I fail to see what that has to do with anything. You know her, she's your friend, so you do what you feel comfortable with. I just thought I'd offer another pov since everyone feels a little differently. I hope the cake turns out great! thumbs_up.gif

duggerdesign Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 12:57am
post #17 of 21

I wasn't trying to ugly, really. Sorry! I think sometimes we all can read different tones. Sorry if it felt like I was not being kind.

Paintedlady201 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 3:01am
post #18 of 21

No, I didn't get that impression from you at all. As a fellow adoptive parent, I'm sure you know how we can all be touchy about certain things, and I guess that's just one of mine. Have a great night!

angief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angief Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 3:10am
post #19 of 21

I did a cake for a family that was adopting a baby from China. I did an oval cake and on top of it used the wilton ball and mini-ball pans to make a baby rattle. Everything was white with red accents (red in Chinese means wealth or good luck or something like that). On one side of the oval beside the rattle I wrote the babies name in English and on the other side I wrote her name in Chinese. The grandparents gave me the Chinese letters and said that if I didn't do them exact, no one would notice.

If the adoption is from another country, maybe you could try to incorporate something from that country into the cake.

HTH,
Angie

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 11:25pm
post #20 of 21

I am adopted and this was a poem in my baby book.

" Not flesh of my flesh....nor bone of my bone
but still miraculously my own
Never forget for a single minute
You didn't grow under my heart, but in it"

Good luck, I am sure it will be beautiful!

Nikki_B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki_B Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:48am
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyEdzards

I am adopted and this was a poem in my baby book.

" Not flesh of my flesh....nor bone of my bone
but still miraculously my own
Never forget for a single minute
You didn't grow under my heart, but in it"

Good luck, I am sure it will be beautiful!

Awwww what a beautiful poem. I will certainly be saving it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%