To Whoever Told Us About .....

Decorating By NVP Updated 14 Feb 2007 , 3:39am by freddyfl

NVP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NVP Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 12

icon_biggrin.gifOMG! to whoever told us about putting a bit of shortning in the MMF is a genius. i love you! thank you so much for the tip. i have always had the worst time MMF and yesterday it came out so smooth and beautifully! thank you so much!

11 replies
klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 12

That is a great tip - I also grease my bowl and the counter top.

NVP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NVP Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 12

no... someone recently posted something about adding 2 tablespoons of shortning to a 16 oz. bag of mm. and i also greased the bowl. it came out so pretty. i love it

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 3:05am
post #4 of 12

This is the thread:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-101181.html
I used that tip too, and for the first time the MMF worked!

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 3:11am
post #5 of 12

I totally agree!! The first time I tried the MMF, I totally messed it up! After reading this tip, my mmf turns out great!! icon_biggrin.gif

ELU267 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ELU267 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 3:16am
post #6 of 12

I agree too but I have a question... will it ever harden?!? I made some numbers that I want to be able to stand up on a cake (I need for Thursday) and they won't see to "dry". Any tips for that? I made these things 1.5 weeks ago!

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 3:20am
post #7 of 12

are you leaving the numbers out in the open or in a container? I just made some MMF on Monday, made my bow loops and used them to make bows today and they were pretty darn dry.....(I also add shortening to my MMF...but no specifc amount).

ELU267 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ELU267 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 3:24am
post #8 of 12

They are sitting out! Can you believe it? I thought they would be dry by now -- maybe I should direct a fan on them tomorrow while I'm at work... I'm a total novice and just dabble in cake decorating so I probably screwed the MMF up somehow (but I didn't use much shortening - only what the recipe called for).

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 3:26am
post #9 of 12

that is really strange!

YummyFireMummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyFireMummy Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 3:29am
post #10 of 12

Try sticking them in front of an airconditioner. Thats what I do when I need something to dry quickly!

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 3:29am
post #11 of 12

i mucked around today with making some MMf (i also always added some shortening to my batches, but it still seemed to crack).. so anyway, i was making some today and i left out the crisco but swapped it for glucose syrup ( corn syrup) and HOLY COW has it got some stretch to it now.... the only thing is i dont think it is going to dry as hard as normal ( i even added a bit of gum trag)..

i have made a gerber with it so i will let everyone know if it dries ok or not...

kylie

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 3:39am
post #12 of 12

I can't get mmf to dry hard hard, just a little stiff. I have heard that adding some gumtex to your mmf helps it to dry out but I haven't had actually tried it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%