Newbie Supply Questions

Decorating By planeart Updated 14 Nov 2005 , 2:05pm by Lisa

planeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
planeart Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 4

I am a beginner in cake decorating and would love to get a supply "must have" list". I did my first small fondant "wrapped present" cake and loved it. It looked goofy but I had so much fun and am now obsessed. I am so impressed by what I have seen here so I know I can get a lot if info and ideas.

I would like to know what sized spatulas are good to start with? Should I get the large Wilton fondant roller? What about reference books? FYI: I have the Wilton cake decorating book, beginner tip set, cake leveler, and a few other things. I would love to know what you use all the time and can't live without. I wiuld like to have a good base of supplies without going overboard or wasting money.

Thank you so much for your help! Maybe I will post a pic here someday. icon_razz.gif

Brooke

3 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 4

Welcome to Cakecentral planeart!!

There are so many "must haves" that it's hard to narrow it down!! If you plan on using fondant a lot, I would suggest you get the large rolling pin, fondant smoother, a non-stick mat....just to name a few.

I suggest the Americolor brand for coloring....as opposed to the Wilton Brand.

I'm sure everyone will jump in and give you suggestions!!

Enjoy! thumbs_up.gif

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 4

A pizza cutter, decorative edging tools, flower kit...

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 4

Welcome to CC!

A heavy duty turntable, multiples of frequently used tips, icer tip and something to store/organize all your cake decorating supplies thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%