How Do You Start?

Sugar Work By danasflowers Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 8:15pm by SweetMelissa2007

danasflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danasflowers Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 6:38am
post #1 of 6

I am interested in learning about sugar techniques and the pulled or blown? sugar?? Anyway, how does it start and what do I need to know? Easy to do?

Dana

5 replies
copperppot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
copperppot Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 6

Aye my dear you are going to need to know quite a bit because its not that simple. You are going to need the equipment and some type of reference to be able to do this. Mind you professional chefs spend years at this before they get even close to good. Go to PastryWiz.com they have a how to on roses and the blown swan which you can print out. Aye, do you have a recipe for your sugar I think there is one in the forum. Also Pastry Chef Consultancy Service on the web has an article by the good man Martin Chiffers one of the very best at sugar work I think you will find it helpful. Get your equipment together first before you even attempt to start. Any more questions aye, pm me and I will try my best to answer them. My suggestion, aye and mind you just a suggestion is to start out casting first. Give you a feel for cooking the sugar. Just a suggestion laddie.

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 6

Boy this forum has dried up and blew away hasn't it. I am afraid copperppot is right on all accounts. Its not something you learn over night if it was everybody would be doing it. Get your equipment together then get a recipe. If you don't have one pm me and I will send you one. Any questions myself or copperppot will be glad to help.

Randa_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Randa_000 Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 8:07am
post #4 of 6

ok, so after reading through some of the past posts, I am interested in sugar creations. Could you pm your recipe for sugar to me so I can get started...then of course I will probably have a million questions as I am trying to get the hang of it.

Thanks,
Randa

QueenMo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenMo Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 6

I'm interested in working with sugar, and the only people i've seen working with it have calluses. i don't like getting burned! is it just part of the art or are there solutions for a wuss like me? lol

thanks icon_redface.gif

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 6

When you say casting sugar do you mean poured sugar in molds? Do you have a recipe you could pm me? I tried poured sugar in the wilton brownie bite pan for tiles but that was the only thing i had luck with. I used granulated sugar, light corn syrup and water. Any help would be much appreciated!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%