Gold Piping - How Is It Done?

Decorating By elegantone Updated 1 Mar 2007 , 9:03pm by BlakesCakes

elegantone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elegantone Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 17

Hey everyone,
This is my first post, and I'm happy to join such a great community of people. I've seen a couple of cake designs lately that are beautifully done with gold piping, but I have no idea how this effect is acheived.

The piping does have a lustre to it, but doesn't appear as though lustre dust is simply painted over it - the piping itself appears to be saturated gold.
Any thoughts would be helpfulicon_smile.gif

16 replies
caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 17

Welcome to CC! You'll love it!
I've never tried it, but have heard that you can mix gold luster dust with piping gel and pipe that way. I've only used the luster dusts in small amounts, and painted it on. I'm sure you will get your answer from someone more experienced!

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 17

Welcome To CC! i am sorry I do not know the answer either as I am just starting to experiment with lustre dusts myself. This is a bump so someone else can help you!

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 17

Other than welcoming you to CC, I can't be of any help either. I have never even used luster dust. Maybe we can all get some pointers from your question.

Welcome aboard--it's addicting so be careful.

Diane

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 17

Welcome to CC. I have heard of mixing clear piping gel with gold luster dust for writing or piping, but I haven't tried it myself.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 17

I have made beautiful accent pieces of fondant that were painted with a mixture of alcohol and gold luster dust. The alcohol evaporates quickly, leaving a beautiful gleaming gold piece. I have not heard of piping it on, I'm keeping this topic in my favorites too for new ideas.

Stacey1234567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacey1234567 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 17

Mix it with a little alcohol, or lemon flavor, and then just paint it on icon_smile.gif

nichi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nichi Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 10:08pm
post #8 of 17

Gosh I think I asked this question when I first joined. And I cant find the answer!

Hopefully someone will come to our rescue....

franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 10:16pm
post #9 of 17

I pipe the script on with royal icing, let it dry and then very carefully paint over it with gold/silver lustre dust mixed with alcohol. I looks like it's completely metallic this way.
LL

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 10:17pm
post #10 of 17

I have used the luster dust and alcohol mixture everyone is talking about as well. I have painted on with a soft brush onto buttercream as accents, but also piped what I wanted out of Royal Icing, waited until it got hard and then went back and painted it. It's tedious, but worth it. I think that was something I originally read about in a Collette Peters book.

Good luck and welcome to CC. The people around here are just great!!!!

-Michelle

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 12:29am
post #11 of 17

I use Gold edible paint.... I pipe with royal (color depends on what color "gold" I need) let royal set then paint, it gives a really deep gold colour.

elegantone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elegantone Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 4:33am
post #12 of 17

Thanks for all your replies everyone and for a such a great welcome - this has been very helpful.
I look forward to more time (well-wasted!) in the future icon_smile.gif

For now, it's back to the books

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:24am
post #13 of 17

I did this on a fall embroidery wedding cake that I did. I had never heard of the piping gel trick, and I'm not sure if it would have worked with the brush embroidery anyways...but what I did was mixed a bc color as close to gold as I could-basically a copper color (orange with some yellow and brown mixed in). Piped on my fall leaves, did the brush embroidery, waited for it to crust and then piped over the top with gold lust dust and some voldka. Hope this helps, I attatched the pic below.
LL

rocketgirl96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketgirl96 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:43pm
post #14 of 17

elegantone,

If you remember which cakes it was, you can PM (private message) the maker and find out exactly how they made it. Most people on here are very nice and are happy to share. icon_smile.gif

Christine

Dawn2467 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawn2467 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:18pm
post #15 of 17

found this on sugarcraft...

Piping silver and gold:

2ts powdered sugar
2ts dust(luster, etc.)
a few drops of alcohol(vodka, gin)
1ts clear piping gel

on a small plate mix sugar and dust...add few drops alcohol and mix with a small palette knife to create stiff paste
add piping gel,a little at a time, mixing well until piping consistency is reached
use very small piping bag and tip
leftovers can be stored in small container in fridge...will keep indefinitely

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 8:29pm
post #16 of 17

thanks dawn, I will have to try that

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:03pm
post #17 of 17

I tried the recipe above.

It was an exensive failure icon_cry.gif

A whole pot of gold luster dust down the drain--literally. The result was a very, very, very tiny amount of a runny product that wasn't nearly as shiny as painted royal icing.

I would only do it again if I was making gold or silver dots--nothing else. I'd use a #0 or #1 tip--nothing bigger--for the dots.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%